1 day old DVD5 out of order !

Posted by: karyboue on 20 March 2005

I wanted to watch a movie tonight, and the player refused to give me an image on RGBHV Frown but it works on scart.

I noticed this afternoon, when I turned it on to listen to a CD that on the display it was writen W-BOR or something like that. I hope it is not too bad.
Posted on: 20 March 2005 by Manu
Some Marcrovision protected DVDs don't play through RGBHV. Try the HD YUV instead.
Posted on: 20 March 2005 by karyboue
quote:
Originally posted by Manu:
Some Marcrovision protected DVDs don't play through RGBHV. Try the HD YUV instead.

Hi Manu,

I checked the TV RGBHV with the PC : good
Checked the 5 BNC connection : good.
None of my DVD passes in RGBHV
Scart Composite and RGB work and s-video work.
For the other outputs, I don't know.

When I turn on the DVD5 I should have the Naim logo on the screen. All I have are grey lines dancing on the screen, we can guess it is "working" because using the remote, the greylines change like there is an image ... behind that bug.
I turned the player off in the back, and all my settings were lost. So I modified them again (access via Scart) for RGBHV output and still grey line moving, no NAIM logo Frown

I hope it can be solved easily.
Posted on: 21 March 2005 by Adam Meredith
I'm assuming there are two problems here:
1. No output on RGBHV with DVD's
2. No output at all on RGBHV

No output on RGBHV with DVD's
Macrovision licensing laws forbid us to enable video output on RGBHV when playing copyrighted DVD's
The output will automatically switch off when play is pressed
Solution: use RGB or YPbPrHV or preferably DVI.

No output at all on RGBHV - and setting lost
If RGBHV, RGB, YPbPrHV, YPbPr and DVI are not working the DVP PCB needs resetting.
Method:
Remove DVD
Press and hold 'clear' on the remote until the DVD5's front panel says RESET.
Posted on: 21 March 2005 by Ancipital
Karyboue

The way round the RGBHV problem (annoying to say the least though don't have a RGBHV capable set) is to rip your DVDs with something like DVDShrink to take off the Macrovision protection and create a new DVD. All you'll need is the video and audio track and the subtitles, this should all fit on a single layer 4.7gb disc.

I believe that on protected discs there is a flag that states which outputs are allowed, in this case, the "secure" HDMI is allowed but not the RGBHV. Idiotic, I know but NAIM have to follow the license like everyone else.

It's stupid that you have the ability to display amazing pictures but can't as your crippled by the backwards Hollywood licensing that says you can't watch the DVDs you bought at their highest quality because you might copy it!

Of course, this should only be for DVDs you own and haven't copied! The EC is trying to make doing this illegal as well as it's "circumventing" copy protection.

Regards,

Steve.
Posted on: 21 March 2005 by karyboue
Hi,

Thanks but it is not a problem of Macrovision, even with DVDs I recorded from TV it doesn't work in RGBHV or YUVHV while it is ok via Scart.
The RGBHV worked for one night and 3 DVDs and that I can assure, it was great.

(Sorry for the quality it is a poor cell phone pic.)
I had a problem where I wasn't getting a display on YUV - reset the player as above and haven't had an issue with component since (1 1/2 weeks)

Slight edit here - just seen your pic - if you reset the player as stated (clear for 5 seconds) and try again - this worked for me!

Steve.
Posted on: 21 March 2005 by karyboue
Thanks Adam,

I applied the "RESET" but without a DVD in the player, I still don't have any Naim logo on the screen. I should have that (taken from Scart) :

And I have that :

From the TV settings (sendind an NTSC VGA signal from the DVD5) you can see that the signal frequency and resolution are ok, what is not is the image :
Interesting, picture 2 is what I was getting on component YUV when I was having a problem but I'm using a plasma.

When I get back home this evening, I'll fish out the instructions I got from Naim and post them here and we'll see if that works.

Steve.
Posted on: 22 March 2005 by karyboue
My player is really HS, I now have my dealer's for at least the week.

Back to RGBHV, I love it, it is so much better.
Posted on: 22 March 2005 by Ancipital
Hi

By the way, this is the problem I was getting.

The reset sequence I got from Naim is as follows :-

1. remove disc and close the drawer
2. press and hold 'clear' on the remote for about 5 seconds.
3. then re-boot
You will see 'RESET' on the DVD5's front panel display.
Note:
This resets to factory defaults and internal DSP registers.
You may need to set your preferences again
IRE levels and output formats etc.

This worked for me when I had similar problems to yourself.

Steve.
Posted on: 22 March 2005 by karyboue
Hi Steve,

Thanks, it is the same trick given by Adam, nice to hear that it worked with your player.

Photo 10 of your pics is exactly what we could see this afternoon at my dealer with a dreamvision projector. He tried a few things but nothing worked out of the BNCs.
Posted on: 23 March 2005 by Ancipital
Hi

It was good that it worked for me so I could get away from using SCART (Bluergh!).

Naim are working on a software fix for this but they had some issues with SPDIF and the fix so it's going to take a little longer to fix.

Does the DVD5 do this when coming out of standby or from powering on the player? My original issue was with coming out of standby.

Just had issues last night with a Region 1 version of Monsters Inc which crashed the player - 1st disc to do that so it's likey that they're doing something on the disc which is not quite standard. Watched half the film the other night then watched the rest last night so the disc was still in the player on standby when this happened. Still, the sound and the picture are absolutely stunning, enough to cause me to wince at a couple of the painful bits in the film!

Steve.
Posted on: 25 May 2005 by niceguy235uk
i agree the picture and sound is nothing short of breath taking... trouble is my dvd5 wont play discs to the end. i get about an 116mins into a disc (aprrox 16 chapters) and the picture and sound skips and jumps all over the place and eventually freezes. You can also here the drive speeding up and slowing down like its trying to read the disc. When i tak out the disc from the player (the eject button still works) the disc is very hot indeed. Back to the dealer i go.......................bored now.
Posted on: 25 May 2005 by Johns Naim
Hmmm

Forgive me if I'm getting the wrong picture here, but for such an expensive player, why are you guys, aka more than one having these problems?

Sounds like you early adopters are having lots of bug encounters.

Not good enough IMHO (the bugs that is)

At least by the time I'm able to afford one, hopefully these and whatever other issues yet to be 'discovered' will have been properly sorted.

Ancipital said:

quote:
Still, the sound and the picture are absolutely stunning,

How do you find the picture and sound 'holds up' compared to other DVD players you've seen or preferably A/B'd the DVD5 back to back with? - as in other quality players in similar price bracket?

Hope the probs get quickly resolved.

Best regards

John... Cool
Posted on: 25 May 2005 by niceguy235uk
Compared to the Arcam FMJ dv27 which costs approx 1800 and is another excellent British hi fi manufacturer, the Naim washes the floor with it.
I would just like to point out that my player is having trouble with a certain amount of discs and not all. My dealer is going to investigate the problem for me..
Posted on: 26 May 2005 by Johns Naim
niceguy235uk said:
quote:
Compared to the Arcam FMJ dv27 which costs approx 1800 and is another excellent British hi fi manufacturer, the Naim washes the floor with it.

Being familiar with the Arcam FMJ DVD27, could you please expand upon what areas of performance you felt the Naim DVD5 outdid it - picture and sound? or sound only.

Many thanks

Best Regards

John... Cool