Should the Simpsons be stopped?

Posted by: garyi on 23 December 2003

New episodes of the Simpsons, i.e. after the 300th epsiode have got crap.

I swear the voice of Marge has changed, as has Mo's (Not sure if its the same person)

And I swear they just pull random words out of a hat and attempt to build an episode around it.

All in all I think its time for the Simpsons to end now, I hate to say this. If I had never watched the simpsons and turned on the new epsiodes I would not be impressed.

Now 'Family Guy' is another thing entirely.
Posted on: 23 December 2003 by Mekon
Nope, the Simpsons has not jumped the shark yet.
Posted on: 23 December 2003 by Mike Sae
Agree fully, Gareth.
Simpsons is so past its due date.

Family Guy is truly brilliant. It's the first show in the history of TV to be brought back from cancellation, apparently.

Buy the DVDs; they are even better with all k inds of low brow sweary outtakes.
Posted on: 24 December 2003 by Mike Hanson
Although I've always loved the Simpsons, I must agree that Family Guy makes me laugh out loud more consistently. It's very derivative of the Simpsons, but most things are extended to silly levels, which is why it's so funny. It's mostly the non-sequitors and asides that get me going. If it can surprise me, then I'm probably going to laugh. I'll second Mike Sae's recommendation: the DVDs will keep you laughing for many hours.

BTW, I've also started buying the Simpsons on DVD. It's still good, but something feels worn out about the idea. It's probably just my own familiarity, though. I used to love "The Farside", but eventually came to look at it as predictable and rather pedestrian.

Something else that I got great pleasure from was "The Parking Lot Is Full" (a.k.a. PLIF, www.plif.com). Sadly, it's creators ran out of steam too. Fortunately, I've got a catalog of all of the old strips, as well as loads of their very twisted stories. Here's one of my favourites:

-=> Mike Hanson <=-
Posted on: 24 December 2003 by mykel
Oh That is Just Not Right !!!

....love it Big Grin

Happy Hollidaze to all

regards,

michael
Posted on: 24 December 2003 by domfjbrown
Man - that is SICK - LMFAO!!!

Merry crimbo dudes - man, my parents' PC is slow....

BTW - I haven't had access to Sky for 8 months now so I'd not know if the Simpsons were past it - I'd like to think they're not, but after a decade + something's got to give I guess...

What would have followed if you had.

Posted on: 26 December 2003 by JeremyD
I wouldn't have dared be the first to say it - after all, in future centuries The Simpsons may well be considered the culturally most important art of our times - but even the new [i.e. four year old] episodes that have recently been shown on BBC2 strike me as not being up to previous standards.