Returning Unwanted Goods

Posted by: Don Atkinson on 27 December 2003

Returning Unwanted Goods

My youngest seems to think that shops have a general, legal obligation, to take unwanted goods back, and to provide a full refund, up to 28 days after purchace. She says only that the goods must be undamaged and unused and in their origonal packaging. Its like a cooling-off period.

I don't think any such obligation exists in general wrt goods bought in a shop. Of course, some shops do offer "money back if not completely satisfied" or similar such inducements, but so far as I am aware, these are purely voluntary in existance, but once in existance, they are of course enforcable. I apprciate that some services such as insurance policies, do have a cooling-off period and this probably applies irrespective of where or when it was bought.

Can anybody give definitive guidance regarding this so-called 28-day right to return unwanted goods?

Cheers

Don
Posted on: 27 December 2003 by David Stewart
Don,
I don't think she's right, at least with respect to high street shops, but all the details you could ever want about your Consumer Rights can be found here on the OFT web-site.
http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/default.htm
Good luck with convincing her IF she is wrong!

David
Posted on: 27 December 2003 by ChrisD
that is definitely wrong, shops have no obligation whatsoever to return goods because you changed your mind/ they dont fit etc, only if they are faulty or not fit for their purpose.

i think mail order purchases have a 7 day cooling off period or somethign like that though - not too sure on that one though.

Chris
Posted on: 27 December 2003 by Don Atkinson
Good luck with convincing her IF she is wrong!

very perceptive! as you know, teenagers are never wrong....

Cheers

Don
Posted on: 27 December 2003 by oldie
Hi Don,
sorry either yourself or your "young un"is on a loser, shops are only legally obliged to give refunds If the goods are not of merchantable quality or fail to meet ,[I forget the exact term but basiclly] there design criteria ie a car with no engine. As you say some shops out of good will offer an exchange or a credit note for returned goods that are "not wanted" but it's only good will
Best of luck [trying to tell her],your going to need it
oldie.