Aaagggghhhhh - the little monsters

Posted by: MichaelC on 08 December 2003

For all of those who have little ones running around you will understand. For all of you who don't, well, you can only begin to imagine.

I got home this evening to find that my three year old had tried to climb the curtains in the living room. The end result being that he was fine but the curtain pole had come crashing down despite five fixings to the wall! Naturally he didn't understand what he had done wrong.

Now I have got to source a new 4m curtain pole to hang heavy curtains - Mad

I know a few of us have suffered from the amateur dj's out there but what horror stories do you have?

Regards

Mike (soon to learn some diy skills)
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Minky
Actually, I was going to ask if there's some sort of spray that you can treat your Naim gear with to keep the critters away from it. Well is there ? My first is due next April and I am already having a recurring nightmare where a housefull of screaming tots poke sharp pointy things into me speaker drivers and fill up me hi-fi orifi with jam and butter based commestibles.
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Justin
That's nothing, I assure you. My three year old pushed in the dust caps on my woofers on one pair of speakers, pushed in the soft dome tweeters on another pair, and, for good measure when he was but two years old, removed the stylus/cantalever from my Benz Micro Glider L2.

Judd
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by dave simpson
My wife "breaking" our Ittok...actually the anti-skate mechanism's string just so happened to break from age when she was spinning tunes. Still..I had to go with the moment;-) I think it took several hours for her to start speaking to me again after I told her it wasn't really *her* fault.

regards,

dave
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Phil Sparks
Not hi-fi related but when our eldest was about one I collected him from nursery (about 1 mile from home) in the car, he was a bit crabby so as I was putting him in his car seat I let him play with the car keys - that seemed to calm him down a bit. I closed his door and walked round to the drivers door and heard 'ker-lunk' as he pressed the zapper and locked the doors ... oh dear I thought.

So there I was, standing in my suit, trying to gesticulate to him the action of pressing the zapper again to unlock the car - he of course thought this was a great game and chuckled and waved back. Hmmm what should I do - could try and find a brick and break the window - nah a bit serious and anyway it would terrify the little one. At least he's strapped in his car seat so can't try and start the car and head off into the London traffic.

Luckily we had some friends who lived nearby so a quick call summoned one of them to stand guard by the car while I sprinted the 1mile home and back to get the spare car keys - fastest 2 miles I've EVER run.

My HiFi solution - put the LP12 and Kans on wall shelves, get an Ikea cupboard with a door for the rest of the boxes. It doesn't last for ever, our youngest is nearly 3 and I'm thinking of getting a proper rack again.

Phil
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Dave J
Apart from the usual tweeter poking, I got a new cartridge and arm rebuild courtesy of one of my little darlings who decided to take up "scratching" for a hobby. Oh how we laughed.

Equally amusing was the time when she decided to feed the video. Imagine my delight when I discovered that she had used chopsticks. When asked she explained that she was trying to push the food all the way into it's tummy.

These days they just seem to have a habit for smashing remote controls although I am assured that it is always "an accident".

Dave
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Rasher
Big monsters: Had a major party when two people "landed" on my LP12 on SO table, and crashed through the table with the TT onto the floor inside the table frame. That was buggered then Roll Eyes

Little monsters: 2 year olds found the system and had fun turning the knobs all the way round, past the stop points. The on/off knob on the HiCap just spun around. It had to go back to Naim cos it caused lots of shorting inside. Major service. Good result though, cos now I have my own music room with a no kids policy.
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Mike Hanson
Don't tell me stories like this! Eek I've got my first coming on Feb 2nd.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Dobbin
Don't hasten their development too much

Our one year old is a bum shuffler (hope this means the same stateside as it does here! - and I hope it means the same in the UK amongst those who aren't parents yet as for those who are!!). Which means he ain't as mobile as his little friends who are charging around on their hind legs or crawling. It means we can plonk him in the middle of a room and it takes say 5 mins to reach the TV/fireplace/door/LP12/etc.

Unfortunately he's starting to show a desire to attain verticality - maybe it's time to downgrade my XX-2 to my old K9??
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by domfjbrown
There is one solution - don't have any in the first place...

Other than that - I don't think there IS a solution to prevent kids touching stuff they're not supposed to! Of course, if you're told "no" as a kid, that usually becomes an open invitation to do exactly what you're not supposed to Wink

I bet the silence immediately after the death of that LP12 was deafening - ouch!!! NOT funny...

I broke the cantilever on my Ortofon 520 by knocking it into the cartridge with a duster (the phone rang and made me jump!).

I also lost the cantilever on a Dynavector 10x4 Gold High - like Keyser Soze, it was there one minute and gone the next... Gutted, since it was one of allegedly only 50 in the UK Frown

What would have followed if you had.

Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Andrew L. Weekes
I must be lucky.

I moved the LP12 to a wall shelf before my first arrived, the rest of the Naim kit is built like a tank so frankly there's little he can do to damage it.

Lewis learnt to use a puck and the CD5 from about the age of two, but he now has his own CDP / amp so no need to use mine. Wink

I've obviously been lucky with the speakers!

Andy.
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Bosh
Ever heard a CDS3 / 552 on full volume through 500 / SBLs? Eek

I did last weekend courtesy of either my 9 yr old or 4 yr old.Both blamed each other. Luckily no damage done Smile
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by BigH47
Know any farmers? Get a couple of lengths of electric fence and transformer, that should keep them away from your kit, or just make a corral for them after a few weeks you should be able to cut the current.

Surely the volume control was moved by "Mr Nobody" brcause what ever happens it is never any member of the household

Howard Wink Big Grin
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by David Hobbs-Mallyon
So much for the children - my mother once came round to babysit. After coming back from a pleasant evening out, she proudly told me that I'd 'forgotten' to switch off the HiFi, but that she had done the favour of switching it all off for me!

David
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Phil Barry
Wall shelves...

Almost 32 years ago, I returned from Taiwan with a newborn son and a hifi sourced from Hong Kong, which included a R-to-R tape deck.

As Eric got more mobile, I kept moving the equipment higher and higher on wall shelves...until one day I found him perched precariously on a table I had left too close to the shelf, with his finger stuck into the take-up reel, watching with scientific interest the tape flowing onto the floor.

I immediatey moved Eric and the table and put the deck up for sale.

Gene Rubin, purveyor of Naim, Roksan, etc. in Los Angeles, argues that we should teach the rugrats how to use the equipment as soon as possible. Seems like a good idea - know when someone gave Eric a small portable player (for kids) he was happy playing his records on it.

Regards.

Phil
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Derek Wright
However you should remember that you have to be kind to your offspring, regardless of how they smash up your possesions as they

select the care home that they will put you in and then not visit you.........<g>

Derek

<< >>
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Rasher
Smile Good old accident cover on the household insurance is suddenly worth it.
When my LP12 got bombed, it was my fault to have it there during a party, and also it was my fault for letting the little loves near the system in the first place.
Not worth getting upset about.
I saw a picture of a child that had sucked on a live mains lead - pulled the plug out of a kettle or something and stuck it in his mouth. That is why we should be keeping them away from the gear, not for the sake of the gear. It wasn't pretty.
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by MichaelC
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hanson:
Don't tell me stories like this! Eek I've got my first coming on Feb 2nd.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

I forgot to mention the clock episode - we had a lovely Wellington clock sitting on the mantlepiece - it didn't bounce.

Mike
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by Dev B
My daughter seems strangely unintereted in my HiFi (phew) but she loves pulling CD and LPs out of their storage areas and dropping remote controls on the floor!
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by domfjbrown
quote:
Originally posted by Menilmontant1948:
At least you only had yourself to blame.

Actually - I blamed my sister - it was her on the phone, I hate talking to her, and the dappy bitch always phones whenever it's the most inconvenient - try right in the middle of "Alone again or" during Love's set at Glastonbury (while in a little situation where speaking to someone like that was NOT good for my mental health - well, for the next 5 hours or so anyway...), or just as I'm dishing up tea so I then burn my hand putting the food down to grab the phone. Basically any time the phone goes during an awkward situation, it's her phoning to say nothing much different to the last call.

Thank god I'm not blood related to her... (I'm adopted)

Oh - I had accident insurance though - so the cartridge oblivion wasn't so bad...

What would have followed if you had.
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by Rico
quote:
Don't tell me stories like this! I've got my first coming on Feb 2nd.

Mike

congratulations. You're sure it'll be "ride on time"?

Some folk have been observing how the ledge at the top of the bass box of our SBLs are at just the right height to 'help' rugrats stand... I guess we'll burn this bridge when we come to it. Big Grin

Rico - SM/Mullet Audio