Aimee Mann - Batchelor No. 2

Posted by: Martin M on 05 April 2001

This arrived last night from Amazon. Its a cracking album. Good songs, sparsely yet intelligently arranged, well played and well recorded. In terms of overall quality it reminds of Joni Mitchell in her mid-70's hey-day but less jazzy and more folky (more Court and Spark than Hejira...). I've yet to hear a really duff track on the album.

Anyway, it comes highly recommended now it is readlily available in the UK. Amazon are flogging it for £8.99. Enjoy.

[This message was edited by Martin M on THURSDAY 05 April 2001 at 11:05.]

Posted on: 05 April 2001 by Matthew T
I have a copy of the Magnolia soundtrack which has quite a few of the Mann albom songs and it is pretty good. Maybe I will need to get hold of the Bachelor No.3 as well.

cheers

Matthew

Posted on: 05 April 2001 by kevinl
It's actually "Batchelor #2". I have all of Aimee Mann's solo albums, and some of her previous work with 'Til Tuesday.

Her first solo effort, "Whatever" is quite folky in places, and has a good groove following through the whole of the album.

Her second, and in my opinion, her best release, "I'm with Stupid" is a masterful collection of songs. Great guitar work, rhythms supplied by a mixture of loops and real drums, strong lyrics and energy combine to produce my favorite album of all time (so far at least :-) I also like the Difford and Tilbrook backing on several of the songs.

"Magnolia" has maybe 8 or 9 of Aimee's songs, plus some other artists. I particularly like the opener, "One". The film is very good too.

Some of these songs on "Magnolia" are also available on her latest effort, "Batchelor #2". This aproaches "Stupid" in quality, but is something of a "Whatever" feel too. There's certainly more maturity, and surprisingly more pain and cynicism in the lyrics.

All of Aimee Mann's albums are particularly well recorded, and I would strongly recommend anyone here who likes female voices, guitars and pain to check her out.

kevin

Posted on: 05 April 2001 by Chris Brandon
I had forgotten all about Aimee Mann.

I only have the "Whatever" album,which,as I remember,I thoroughly enjoy.

...I feel a little spending spree coming on !....

Regards

Chris

Posted on: 09 April 2001 by kevinl
"Time Stands Still" off "Hold Your Fire" by Rush was indeed my first exposure to Aimee Mann. I knew nothing about 'Til Tuesday. I happenned to come across "I'm with stupid" in a record store, and thought "I know that name", and bought it on impulse. I'm glad I did.

kevin