new naim digital memory product

Posted by: Paul Stephenson on 13 November 2008

airhead
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by JonR
Is this a belated attempt at an April Fool's joke, Paul, by any chance? Big Grin
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by Paul Stephenson
in action..r&d have been busy
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by Paul Stephenson
Its not April yet Jon, just testing customer demand Winker
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by JonR
Err..ok, then!

I posted initially entirely in jest, but having thought about it a bit more, it strikes me that, if you were serious about making a go of this, why not continue the 'theme' and produce airplug type Superline loading plugs along the lines of what Peter Cymbiosis and Jon Honeyball have experimented on. I'm sure that would go down a storm with well-heeled Superline owners!
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by 555
That's very interesting thanks Paul.
Is there any other info' available yet please?

Cheers - John
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by nap-ster
Does it come in a tin?
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by 555
quote:
testing customer demand

I think Gary has just placed the 1st Airmemory order Paul! Big Grin
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
Looks nice, now you guys can remove the usb connection from the inside of the airplug!! Winker
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by BigH47
There must be a nude version that has some pins removed surely. Big Grin
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by Mike Hughes
... and the capacity is???
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by jon h
I'll have one! No, make it two...
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by u5227470736789439
Serious question:

Is it to put HI-def [ie. 96/24] files on so that such as the new Naim classical catalogue of recordings maybe played, as announced in the Music Room.

I am all in favour of this sort of idea. Will the memory stick be bought, "pre-loaded" with music perhaps?

I hope that is not a silly question, where the answer is obvious to all but me.

ATB from George
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by garyi
No need to feel silly george. I would say however that naims better bet on this would be via a download route rather than USB sticks.
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by Mark R
From an Apple perspective it looks a little podgy to fit the iMac keyboard and possibly the rear of the iMac too - has it been tried? Looks like it would fit a laptop or desktop (PC/Mac Pro), however.
Posted on: 14 November 2008 by Paul Stephenson
In general guys it was a bit of fun Smilebut now we may have to consider a 12g version loaded with some hires as well as a download, when we get sometime we will look at the airplug and its uses, superline and all but right now we are very busy.
Posted on: 14 November 2008 by 555
quote:
... right now we are very busy.

But what with Paul?!?

Winker
Posted on: 14 November 2008 by Paul Stephenson
its black and sometimes a light, its has lots of bits to make it work, sings like a bird and must be heard!
How's that it must be poets day!
Posted on: 14 November 2008 by goldfinch
A Naim usb stick?, Can such a device be audiophile-grade?
I understand a CD-R, for instance, can be more audiophile than other but a memory stick or a hard drive?
Confused
Posted on: 14 November 2008 by 555
quote:
It's black ...

Posted on: 14 November 2008 by winkyincanada
quote:
Originally posted by GFFJ:
Serious question:

Is it to put HI-def [ie. 96/24] files on so that such as the new Naim classical catalogue of recordings maybe played, as announced in the Music Room.

I am all in favour of this sort of idea. Will the memory stick be bought, "pre-loaded" with music perhaps?

I hope that is not a silly question, where the answer is obvious to all but me.

ATB from George

Not silly. The price of memory as used in USB sticks is quite low. Not the few cents that an optical disc can be produced for, but arguably cheap compared to the value of the code (music). Distribution via sticks is already occurring. Can it survive in an age of internet data transmission - not likely IMO - but if enough people value the physical object over the 0s and 1s on their NASs, then who knows?
Posted on: 20 November 2008 by joe90
It looks like a burnt yam...
Posted on: 20 November 2008 by spacey
will naim be giving these away with the next issue of a hi-fi mag - like computer mags do? Cool
Posted on: 21 November 2008 by Tuan
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Stephenson:
airhead

For me to consider it should be at capacity of 30 GB (minimum).
Posted on: 28 November 2008 by js
quote:
Originally posted by Tuan:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Stephenson:
airhead

For me to consider it should be at capacity of 30 GB (minimum).
and have an outboard supply. Smile
Posted on: 06 December 2008 by Chris West
js ... no, I reckon batteries included Winker

Audiophile memory stick?

Anti-microphony for flash memory seems reasonable to me (as the ideal data source device). Naim could provide this as a value driven option ... by using quality, tested memory chips in this case (instead of users relying solely on mass market cheapies to load their favorite hi-rez files on). Besides, it would look much more graceful plugged into an HDX front panel Cool