Dreamhouse..worth the wait!

Posted by: woodface on 01 February 2001

Some of you may have read my difficulties in obtaining the said CD but I am glad I persisted! I had a good listen to it last night and it really is a superb album and not one that you can pigeonhole. Although many will see it as a Jazz recording it seems to cut accross a few genres. In places it is very 'cinematic' while at the same time quite classical. Favourite Track? I would go with either 'Dreamhouse' or 'Old Folks' which is a fabulous version of this old standard. Also, is there a Bill Evans influence present? The recording quality is excellent and I am surprised just how big a soundstage those 3 instruments make.
Posted on: 01 February 2001 by fred simon
My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you, and I thank you.

I'm very glad you're digging it so much.

Fred

Posted on: 03 February 2001 by Paul Stephenson
Glad you got the disc and especially pleased you like it! One of the biggest surprises to me has been how few of our forum/music loving members have bought this gem! Anyone afraid to take the plunge, buy the disc on the naim site and we will replace it with another choice if you are not happy!
Posted on: 06 February 2001 by fred simon
I'm so glad you're enjoying Dreamhouse.

A grateful nation thanks you.

Posted on: 07 February 2001 by Timbo
Just got it, can't give an opinion though as I'm waiting for my CDS2.

However I sure it will be good!!

Tim

Posted on: 18 February 2001 by Paul Stephenson
"Anyone afraid to take the plunge, buy the disc on the naim site and we will replace it with another choice if you are not happy!"

Get the Fred Simon disc, how often can you do this and even better still chat here with Fred!! Dream house could just be the introduction you need to a whole new section of music.
Posted on: 19 February 2001 by fred simon
quote:
Get the Fred Simon disc, how often can you do this and even better still chat here with Fred!! Dream house could just be the introduction you need to a whole new section of music.

You know ... that is so true.

Posted on: 26 February 2001 by fred simon
quote:
A very relaxing listen. Even my mum liked it.

"Better than the usual rubbish you listen to."

Which is some sort of recommendation.

Music for all ages ...

I glad you and your mum liked it. But here's a suggestion: next time your mum is out, listen again and crank the volume ... there's so much more than relaxation.

Posted on: 26 February 2001 by bob atherton
Until this weekend some of my favourite contemporary jazz musicians are...

Eberhard Weber, Jon Christensen, Ralph Towner, Jan Garbarek, Bill Frisell, Zakir Hussain & Keith Jarrett.

Since the purchase of Dreamhouse on Saturday I can now add the name of Fred Simon.

Fred, it is an privilege to have your contribution on this forum. Keep up the good work. When is the next album?

Best wishes,

Bob.

Posted on: 27 February 2001 by fred simon
quote:
Until this weekend some of my favourite contemporary jazz musicians are...

Eberhard Weber, Jon Christensen, Ralph Towner, Jan Garbarek, Bill Frisell, Zakir Hussain & Keith Jarrett.

Since the purchase of Dreamhouse on Saturday I can now add the name of Fred Simon.

Fred, it is an privilege to have your contribution on this forum. Keep up the good work. When is the next album?

Wow, Bob ... seeing as how these are some of my all-time favorite musicians, I can't imagine any higher praise than this. Thanks so much for your kind words and effluent endorsement.

The next album can happen anytime Naim wants (nudge, nudge ... wink, wink ... know what I mean? know what I mean?).

Posted on: 30 March 2001 by Colin Lorenson
Fred,

I bought the album about 3 months ago and it's in heavy rotation along with Bill Evans, Ahmad Jamal and Bobo Stenson. Great company for a really fine album.

Really looking forward to your next release.

Naimies - BUY THIS CD.

Colin Lorenson

Posted on: 30 March 2001 by Andrew L. Weekes
quote:
But here's a suggestion: next time your mum is out, listen again and crank the volume ... there's so much more than relaxation.

I've had this CD for a couple of weeks, I found it very enjoyable but I'd only listened to it as relaxation - there was something missing.

Tonight I found out what was missing - VOLUME and lots of it.

I do hope the neighbours enjoyed it as much as I did, it was really hard to stay seated whilst listening wink

Andy.

Andrew L. Weekes
alweekes@audiophile.com

Posted on: 31 March 2001 by fred simon
quote:
I bought the album about 3 months ago and it's in heavy rotation along with Bill Evans, Ahmad Jamal and Bobo Stenson. Great company for a really fine album.

Really looking forward to your next release.

Colin, hearty thanks to you as well, and once again I'm quite flattered being included in this company, some of my very favorite musicians. I'm so glad you're digging the album.

I'm looking forward to the next one, too. I ran into Ken Christianson at a recent Oregon concert and we agreed to talk soon about possible ideas for the next one, so the process begins again.

quote:
Naimies - BUY THIS CD.

Yes, please do.

Posted on: 31 March 2001 by fred simon
quote:
I've had this CD for a couple of weeks, I found it very enjoyable but I'd only listened to it as relaxation - there was something missing.

Tonight I found out what was missing - VOLUME and lots of it.

Andrew, I'm so glad the album finally "hit" you. Thanks for your kind words.

For me, listening is a physical activity, and volume really helps. Even relatively "quiet" music, ironically, needs plenty of volume so that instead of the music being another object in the room, it becomes an entity that swallows you up and you enter its world.

Also, it's often easy to fall into the trap of not really listening (doesn't apply to folks here, of course ... just those "other" people). That is, reading, washing dishes, and conversation all take you outside of the music, so inevitably music is missed.

Posted on: 31 March 2001 by Chris Brandon
Fred,

quote:
Also, it's often easy to fall into the trap of not really listening (doesn't apply to folks here, of course ... just those "other" people). That is, reading, washing dishes, and conversation all take you outside of the music, so inevitably music is missed

I often find that music that I am unfamiliar with (or new musical directions),are for me,best approached by playing it in the background first while I get on with other stuff,it seems to work as a kind of familiarization (or "subliminal education"),so that when you do crank up the volume (yes,this is also my preferred method of getting involved in the music). That it ends up being a far more enjoyable experience.

Any chance of you posting details when you are ready to release more of your music ?

Oh,and by the way,Yes,Dreamhouse sounds far better when LOUD ! (adds scale depth and most importantly intimacy,GREAT - Keep it coming !)

Regards

Chris

Posted on: 01 April 2001 by Andrew L. Weekes
quote:
Even relatively "quiet" music, ironically, needs plenty of volume so that instead of the music being another object in the room, it becomes an entity that swallows you up and you enter its world.

I think in some respects volume is often more important with 'quiet' music - there's often a lot of low level detail that can be masked by any ambient noise within the surroundings (in my case an under-two and noisy central heating!)

The neighbour factor is the only problem frown

Andy (also looking forward to the next release).

Andrew L. Weekes
alweekes@audiophile.com

Posted on: 01 April 2001 by fred simon
Chris,

Believe me, I've done my share of hearing music while doing dishes, reading, talking. But I never consider it true listening until I give it my total attention.

quote:
Any chance of you posting details when you are ready to release more of your music?

Sure thing.

And thanks again to all who have enthused over Dreamhouse; I'm deeply grateful.