A new culinary discovery

Posted by: Kevin-W on 25 November 2003

I've always been nuts about Chinese and Japanese food, as well as French haute cuisine, but i've got another to add to the list.

I have just got back from a break in Zanzibar and would like to share with you the wonders of its food.

As one might expect, spices and (mostly mild) curries play an important part in the Zanzibari diet. In fact, one of the most delicious meals I have ever eaten was at a spice farm an hour's drive out of Stonetown. None of the locals joined in our feast - it was still Ramadan and Zanzibar is a conservative Muslim country - but we had banana cocunut curry, cinnamon rice, a red kingfish and sweet potato curry with cassava leaves, followed by fresh pineapple and mango and a delicious cup of lemongrass tea.

While on the island I overate most evenings and lunchtimes because the food was SOOO delicious. Curried beef, various spicy rices, grilled spiced calamari and octopus, fried plantains with nutmeg, veggie curries, fried barracuda, prawns in ginger and coconut... it was totally lush.

Anyone else familiar with Zanzibari cuisine, and are there any Zanzibari restaurants here in the UK?

Hic! Kevin
Posted on: 25 November 2003 by jayd

Do they have hamdogs in Zanzibar?

One hotdog, wrapped in cheese, rolled in ground beef, then deep-fried and topped with bacon, onions, chili, and a fried egg. Served on a bun.
Posted on: 30 November 2003 by Wolf
MMM that must be as good for your cholesterol as a Philly Cheese steak sandwich. Make mine pastrami please.

glenn

Life is analogue