supernait in naimnet setup

Posted by: JulianB on 14 October 2007

Hello,

Was hoping some of you could help me understand/answer the following about the naimnet and the supernait:

- in a naimnet set up does the music server do the D to A conversation or is it done by the room amp, and as a result by what type of cable are they connected. I assume din/rca for the former and utp cable for the latter

- given that i would be interested in the naimnet solution when it is released does it make any sense going towards a supernait + pc solution (via digital input)? how could the supernait fit in with naimnet? Would it not be wiser to go for a 200/202 pack for now to later sell the 200 + CDP keeping the 202 as preamp for the naimnet set up?

I have looked at various threads but was not able to get the answers to the above.

thanks for your help and for a great forum!

Julian
Posted on: 14 October 2007 by u5227470736789439
This is a very good question.

My curiosity about Naimnet has been raised by the recent Naimnet Thread.

There must be a link somewhere to the technical specification of the system, including type and nature of music signal outputs. There is some pricing information in that thread, though nothing on how to integrate the system into a currently running set.

Perhaps someone will post a link to an explanation of exactly how the Naimnet works, the outputs and so forth.

A thumbnail sketch of this would be very useful from someone at Naim HQ, here, or a link to the official information. If here are prices floating round then there must a description of the new pieces...

I am as curious as heck about it myself, as CD players are indeed expensive and if this is the way forward, which I believe a server based system is, then the more information we can have the better at this time.

ATB from George

PS: David Dever must have been witing his post at exactly the same time as me! Thanks for the extra information.
Posted on: 14 October 2007 by David Dever
quote:
- in a naimnet set up does the music server do the D to A conversation or is it done by the room amp, and as a result by what type of cable are they connected. I assume din/rca for the former and utp cable for the latter

All of the above–on the NS-series servers, there are "local" analog outputs (as well as one set of coaxial / optical digital outputs) on the rear panel of the server itself–the streams sent over the network are also decoded by the NNP-series room amps in remote locations, buffered and re-clocked internally then converted to analog.

Cabling used to transport the streams to the room amps is standard CAT5e cable and has no effect on sound quality, full stop.

quote:
- given that i would be interested in the naimnet solution when it is released does it make any sense going towards a supernait + pc solution (via digital input)? how could the supernait fit in with naimnet? Would it not be wiser to go for a 200/202 pack for now to later sell the 200 + CDP keeping the 202 as preamp for the naimnet set up?

If you are using the SUPERNAIT at the server end, it is not known at this time whether the analog outputs of the NS-series servers (using the built-in DAC) or the built-in DAC of the SUPERNAIT would sound better, as there is still work being done in these areas.

The advice of your NaimNet-certified custom integrator is of utmost aid in this respect.
Posted on: 14 October 2007 by Macker
quote:
Originally posted by David Dever:
All of the above–on the NS-series servers, there are "local" analog outputs (as well as one set of coaxial / optical digital outputs) on the rear panel.....

Has this changed ? I thought that the NS01, 02 & 03 had USB, VGA, RJ45 in the interface and control section and analogue outputs only..I saw no Digital Optical/coaxial outputs ?

PS: The NS01, 02 & 03 are controlled via a web interface - the hand held tablet that you see on the promotional blurb will connect with a wireless router to gain access to the servers over your home network (or naimnet infrastructure) - you can not use the built in CD drive to play music, it's sole purpose is to transfer the Music to the built in Hard drive array and then play or distribute from there..

Very exciting stuff Cool
Posted on: 15 October 2007 by JulianB
thank you all for your answers.

I guess we will have to wait a little longer to compare the respective DAC's Smile

cheers
Julian
Posted on: 16 October 2007 by JulianB
Thanks for your answers!

I guess i'll wait to see which dac is better.

Cheers
Julian