Should I get a new dealer ..

Posted by: Peter Gear on 20 April 2005

or wait?

I have bought all my Naim from the same dealer and have had for 10 years or more an excellent relationship. I'm now in the market for an AV add on and have pretty much made up my mind on the AV2/175/n sats/centre route. Not sure about the DVD5 though as my dealer reckons its a lot to pay and something like an arcam can do it nearly as well and cheaper. I do have £10k waiting to be spent!!

I have had to prompt my dealer on several occasions over the past 6 months the most recent being earlier in the year when he said he would set up a demo. Since then nothing! Why am I not getting any feedback? Is Naim av equipment difficult to get hold of? Does he not want my custom? Why do I have to initiate contact each time I want to find out what is going on?

So .... should I get a new dealer of wait?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Peter
Posted on: 20 April 2005 by Jay
Jeez...

Business must be too good.

Maybe they are just uncomfortable with it all. Do you think they know their stuff?

At the end of the day I'd just be blunt with him Peter. Tell him you're feed up. If he doesn't do anything at least you're given him the chance?

What more could they ask?

Jay
Posted on: 20 April 2005 by Johns Naim
Hmm

I'm not sure if it's related, but I note that my dealer also takes a long time to get 'stuff' re the latest Naim bits, and gear for demo etc.

I spoke to my dealer about this, and the reasons given were various, but came down to basically this:

Naim these days build to order, with a 'just in time' approach, so as to minimise dead stock.

The numbers produced are small and hard to get hold of.

The dealership has to buy the demo models - which adds to his overheads and cash flow problems.

Here in OZ, (and this and the above is hearsay BTW) the five series sells well; everything above that is very slow - mainly due to the large jumps in price due the rate of exchange, and everything being airfreighted across.

The 2 channel Naim kit sells well; the AV side of it is very slow - I believe (again hearsay) my dealer has yet to sell ONE AV2 - again price being given as the reason - it's a VERY difficult market here. We have ONE Naim dealer for a city of 3 1/2 - 4 million people.

Hopefully I will soon be able to demo a pair of N-sats - but both the centre channel and sub will arrive only sometime later this year - whether that's due to demand/supply, or my dealers reluctance (understandable despite their enthusiasm for the product, as business is business) to stock expensive equipment that may or may not sell well, I cannot answer.

But I would think the situation for a lot of the smaller dealers is tight - after all they have to make a living, and Naim would hardly be their bread and butter line.

I guess it's a matter of what the market 'wants' and what the dealer needs to supply. In my dealers case, their service is exemplary, as is their 2 channel knowledge; HT seems to be more of a learning curve for them. Naim is their top brand, but NAD, Rotel, Arcam etc is where the turnover and cash - flow is.

As I mentioned, this is hearsay from a friend at the dealership, but it may well apply to your dealer as well, and seems a very plausible explanation.

Cheers

John... Cool
Posted on: 20 April 2005 by Squonk
Originally posted by Johns Naim:

The dealership has to buy the demo models - which adds to his overheads and cash flow problems.

THIS IS AN ISSUE AND WITH THE VOLUMES SO LOW WHY THEY CANNOT AFFORD TO STOCK EVERYTHING. MY DEALER HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL IN GETTING ME AROUND THIS. IF I WANT TO HEAR SOMETHING HE WILL ORDER IT FOR ME. IF I DO NOT WANT IT HE WILL TAKE IT BACK AS A DEMO ITEM. MOST TIMES I BUY SO THIS HAS WORKED WELL FOR BOTH OF US

Here in OZ, (and this and the above is hearsay BTW) the five series sells well; everything above that is very slow - mainly due to the large jumps in price due the rate of exchange, and everything being airfreighted across.

AND THE ADDITION OF THE AUSTRALIAN DISTRIBUTOR TAKING A SLICE OF THE PIE AS WELL - EITHER THAT REDUCES DEALER MARGINS OR MAYBE EXPLAINS WHY THE GEAR IS UP TO 20% MORE HERE

Hopefully I will soon be able to demo a pair of N-sats - but both the centre channel and sub will arrive only sometime later this year - whether that's due to demand/supply, or my dealers reluctance (understandable despite their enthusiasm for the product, as business is business) to stock expensive equipment that may or may not sell well, I cannot answer.

I BELIEVE THE SYDNEY DEALER (AUDIO GENESIS)HAS SOME N SATS SO DO NOT BELIEVE THIS TO BE A SUPPLY ISSUE THOUGH I MAY BE WRONG

I guess it's a matter of what the market 'wants' and what the dealer needs to supply. In my dealers case, their service is exemplary, as is their 2 channel knowledge; HT seems to be more of a learning curve for them. Naim is their top brand, but NAD, Rotel, Arcam etc is where the turnover and cash - flow is.

I BELIEVE THAT NAIM COULD DO MUCH MORE TO RAISE AWARENESS AROUND THEIR BRAND HERE IN OZ AND INCREASE SALES - I RARELY SEE ANY MENTION OF THEM IN THE HI-FI PRESS.

Regards
Adrian
Posted on: 20 April 2005 by Lomo
As this seems to be about Australia not much more to add. My dealer is pushing the 5 series but Naim is a tiny part of his sales volume. Naim is almost unknown here although well thought of by the dealers. They are faced with the price barrier problem. The average punter will spend big bikkies on a plasma TV but balk at a $2000 hifi component. Rotel and NAD seem to have come up with a pricing structure which is more realistic and rewards those willing to have a go. It is time Naim made an effort to reward the faithful in the southern climes.
Posted on: 21 April 2005 by Peter Gear
All

I'm not sure at all about this but I had the impression that dealers here could get naim kit for demo then return to naim if unsold. It does seem a bit much to expect a small dealer to buy potentially very expensive kit (£25k+ for a CD3 based system) then be left with it if not sold after a demo. Doesn't seem a sensible thing for naim to do because they surely lose potential sales by dealers not taking the risk.

I'm toying with the idea of a home demo from a bigger local dealer, who I know stocks what I want to hear, then buying from my usual dealer. This does go against my ethical nature however.

It would be nice to know what naim themselves think of I should do. Any thoughts or advice Adam?

Peter
Posted on: 22 April 2005 by Johns Naim
Lomo said:

quote:
Rotel and NAD seem to have come up with a pricing structure which is more realistic and rewards those willing to have a go. It is time Naim made an effort to reward the faithful in the southern climes.

Yes, I may have written about this in another posting, but recently HiFi Choice came out with their 2004 top components list. Winner of the 'gold star' in the 2-3k UK pounds section for AV processors was the Rotel 1098 AV processor - the top unit- for UK 2,300.00 pounds. The 'silver' medal was the Naim AV2 circa UK 2,200.00 pounds.

Yet here, the Naim AV2 is AU $7,000.00 dollars, and the Rotel 1098 is AU $4,299.00 dollars - one cannot help but ask how come??

That's a very big difference in price, and I also cannot help but agree that either Naim or the distributor need to do more to support the product in Australia.

Surely prices that were more competitive in the market place would lead to increased sales? - after all it's not so much a performance issue as a price issue, relative to the market place re competition and what the market is prepared to spend for that 'extra' something that Naim can bring to the party.

Just my 2c worth

Cheers

John... Cool
Posted on: 22 April 2005 by Polarbear
Peter,

Contact Pete at cymbiosis in Leicester. His custemer relationsip is excellent. Have a read of the Ultimatum thread on the hi-fi corner to see how hard Peter works for his clients.

Regards

PB
Posted on: 24 April 2005 by Don Atkinson
quote:
I'm toying with the idea of a home demo from a bigger local dealer, who I know stocks what I want to hear, then buying from my usual dealer. This does go against my ethical nature however.

Maintain your ethical nature.

Demo the stuff you want to hear, where and when you can. But buy from the guy who provided the successful demo.

I have often wished that manufacturers and dealers would price their products on the basis of shifting unopened boxes over the counter with a menu of "extras". Some of the "extras" could be manadatory (eg home installation) and some could be optional (eg home demo).

This way you could "buy" the home demo from one dealer and buy the kit from another, without feeling guilty.

Cheers

Don
Posted on: 24 April 2005 by rodwsmith
Anyone else spotted the amusement value of someone called "gear" asking if he should get a new dealer?

If he's cutting the stuff with speed and chalk dust then yes you should...
Posted on: 25 April 2005 by Peter Gear
Peter[/QUOTE]

Peter

I think you have just blown any chance of an home dem from any dealer anywhere ever. I'd suspect that now you wont even get an in-store demo: dealers are running a business and without wishing to sound rude... well, lets just say I think your attitude poor.

If you want to take up someones time and effort, you should do the decent thing and buy from them.

Regards

Mike[/QUOTE]

Mike

I don't think any dealer would turn down the chance of a £10k sale!! But I think you've missed my point - I have been trying hard to buy what I want from my dealer but am getting no result so am getting frustrated. As he is running a business shouldn't he be chasing to get my custom? Particualy as I have always dealt with him.

I think your rather judgemental post would be right about my 'poor attitude' if I had actually done what I said I was contemplating. In fact its that I DO have the right attitude (or ethic if you like) that prevents me doing it. I was simply asking for views.

I would still like to know whether or not there is a supply problem with Naim AV kit - particually the n-sats/DVD5 etc? If there is that would help explain things.

Peter
Posted on: 25 April 2005 by PatG
I have a simple approach to buying equipment (including my Naim setup).

I am happy to pay the full retail price if, and only if,

The item is in stock;
The seller can demonstrate the product;
The seller is knowlegdable about the product;
The seller can offer/suggest alternatives to the product;
The dealer will repair (or arrange for a repair of) the product without too much hassle;
The dealer is an authorised agent of the manufacturer.

Otherwise (any of the above is missing)I am into discount territory.

Methinks that many people buying this high end gear settle for a lot less than the above and say well that is the way it is. Just think about it, you might as well buy mail order and get some money off. Dealer who do not stock equipment are siply acting as a form of mail order.

Hence, Peter, Maybe you are not getting the above so I either pay full retail elswehere of start talking discount.

Regards P
Posted on: 25 April 2005 by Doug Graham
Peter

I think that the best course of action would be to contact ourselves to discuss your requirements and then we can try and make it happen through your chosen dealer. I'm sure that your "usual" dealer will want to play ball.

I'm sure your dealer (whoever they are) will have a degree of regret if reading this thread.

We will certainly speak with them if you could (privately) furnish us with the details.

Doug
Posted on: 25 April 2005 by Peter Gear
Doug

Many thanks. A response I very much welcome and I will email you (Naim) privately. I certainly want to use my usual dealer if at all possible.

Peter
Posted on: 26 April 2005 by John Sheridan
quote:
Originally posted by Johns Naim:
Lomo said:
Yet here, the Naim AV2 is AU $7,000.00 dollars, and the Rotel 1098 is AU $4,299.00 dollars - one cannot help but ask how come??

John if you just do the exchange rate conversions they should both be selling for around $6K. $4200 is only £1600 or 30% less than UK list. That means that Rotel are screwing their UK customers, not surprising, while dumping their products on the Oz market. For that price you could import them back from Oz and still make a huge profit selling them below list.
Posted on: 26 April 2005 by Two-Sheds
At least you guys in UK have a choice of dealer if you want naim stuff. I got pretty annoyed with my dealer and haven't spoken to him for around a year now and don't intend to. If he had been better I would probably have had a cd player (CD5x or CDX2) off him by now and possibly a Hi-Cap to go with the CD5x or my existing NAC202. Since my next nearest dealer is 5 hours drive and I don't have a car that is unlikely to happen.

What is the situation like in Australia? do you have a choice of dealers for Naim?
Posted on: 26 April 2005 by Manu
Two-sheds,
There are other Naim dealers in Ontario closer to you and a new one in GTA. Call Dimexs, they will give you the list.

Emmanuel
Euphonie
Posted on: 26 April 2005 by Frank Abela
Peter,

I'm glad Doug stepped in. As it was I would have advised you to have an open and honest conversation with your dealer to find out a) what the holdup was and b) what the true chances of getting the demo were. Then both he and you would understand clearly that either he got you the dem or you went where the dem was available, and bought the system from the dealer who did the dem for you provided you got on with them.

Of course, if the other dealer annoyed you or pissed you off you're entitled to take your money anywhere! After all, the customer/dealer relationship is a long term one (just look at how long you've been patient with your dealer because of that relationship), so he should take the opportunity to poach you and give you an excellent demo.
Posted on: 09 May 2005 by Rico
quote:
That means that Rotel are screwing their UK customers, not surprising, while dumping their products on the Oz market.

John, are you sure there's no tarrifs associated with Japanese-sourced kit in the UK? Or vice-versa in Oz, for the Naim kit?
Posted on: 10 May 2005 by Squonk
quote:
Originally posted by Rico:
quote:
That means that Rotel are screwing their UK customers, not surprising, while dumping their products on the Oz market.

John, are you sure there's no tarrifs associated with Japanese-sourced kit in the UK? Or vice-versa in Oz, for the Naim kit?

I believe that there is some additional tariff on speakers and amps in Oz as there are manufacturers of those items in Oz. On CD players there are no Oz manufacturers so that equipment does not have the markup.

I may be wrong on this but maybe not..
Posted on: 25 May 2005 by PatG
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Maynard-Portly:
CDS3 / 552 / 500 / DBLs as stock items?

Hardly. They'll be off your shopping list, then.

Thats just the way it is.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

Last weekend, My local dealer demonstrated just about exactly the kit you mention (CDX2 plus P/supply) DBLs and NAP500 all there !!

He is getting in a DVD5 for me and a few other customers to listen to etc as I would not buy without a full demo

Regards P