Wilhelm Furt****ler

Posted by: Mick P on 18 April 2001

Chaps

I came across an EMI classics reference CD pack a couple of days ago and thought I would listen to it following the multiple and frequent mentioning of this guy by Vuk.

It consists of 3 discs containing a series of works by Gluck, Mozart, Hayden, Litz, Schubert, Schumann, Cherubini, Weber, Mendelssohn, Berloz and Strass.

I can now understand why Vuk raved about WF, the guy really holds the orchestra together and the music is beyond description.

I intend to look up more of his work......does anyone have any recommendations. Vinyl would be especially welcome.

Regards

Mick

Posted on: 18 April 2001 by Todd A
I suggest his 3 disc Brahms cycle, also on EMI. The 1st and 4th are among the finest recordings of any orchestral music I have heard. His rendition of Schubert's 9th (coupled with Haydn's 88th) on DG is also superb. I prefer it to most stereo versions. And his Beethoven is sublime. His 5 disc cycle on EMI is superb. The 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 9th are the highlights, and the 6th, in particular, is my favorite version of all. Not even Toscanini or Bohm is as good. I've heard and read good, nay, great things about his war-time Bruckner, but yet have to buy any.

True Furtwanglerians can come up with many more suggestions, but these are at least a good place to start. I'm not too much into vinyl, so I can't help there, though.

Posted on: 19 April 2001 by Pete
There's a fairly recent release of the Beethoven symphony cycle which I got. Very good stuff, though silver rather than black.

Pete.