When is cd officially dead?

Posted by: Keith L on 05 May 2008

When Philips confirm they have stopped production of their laser mechanisms?
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by Guido Fawkes
Keith is this likely - it would not only be hi-fi kit that would be affected, but a vast number of companies who use CD/DVD for write once storage of valuable data assets.
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by Keith L
To be more accurate, they have stopped production of their cd laser mechanisms, not their dvd lasers. The postings say there's one still in production and that's for Naim's £15k juke box player. Which black box are they referring to?
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by 555
Always hard to predict the future Keith,
but I estimate somewhere between 2030 & never.
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by Martin Rose
June, HiFi Choice,soundgallery ad says its already happened
Yet I can still buy CDs, CDPs, etc.
If you are right I must give the Advertising Standards Authority a 'phone.
Thanks Keith

I checked out the thread and I'm sceptical about its authenticity, it may be true but I'm not convinced.

The person who publicised the death of CD mechanisms has a vested interested in that being the case and runs a hi-fi manufacturing company not far from where I live. The likelihood of me buying one of his products is about the same as me winning the lottery jackpot three times in a row without buying a ticket (mind you according to a Canadian gent who phoned last week I may have just done that).

He's the same guy who pronounced FM as dead when he brought out a DAB tuner and wrote an essay on why DAB is better than FM.

I think that sooner of later Philips will cease to make CD mechanisms, but not sure I'm convinced that time is now.

ATB Rotf
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by abbydog
Music server, anyone?
quote:
Originally posted by abbydog:
Music server, anyone?

Do you know if any companies make them?
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by Paul Hutchings
Unless I've misread or misunderstood all the articles says is that Philips have stopped making dedicated audio transports barring the one?

i.e. They still make combined DVD/CD transports and (presumably) computer transports.

It would imply that the market for standalone CD players where there are benefits from a dedicated transport vs. a combined transport (I'm no engineer and don't know what these are) is shrinking, or that Philips believe a combined transport can do just as well as a dedicated one presumably?
quote:
Originally posted by ROTF:
The person who publicised the death of CD mechanisms has a vested interested in that being the case and runs a hi-fi manufacturing company not far from where I live. The likelihood of me buying one of his products is about the same as me winning the lottery jackpot three times in a row without buying a ticket (mind you according to a Canadian gent who phoned last week I may have just done that).

He's the same guy who pronounced FM as dead when he brought out a DAB tuner and wrote an essay on why DAB is better than FM.

LOL! Big Grin
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by abbydog
quote:
Do you know if any companies make them?

Erm...let me think now...ah yes, there's a company in Wiltshire makes one with a couple of built-in hard drives I think.

Heard it can hold 600cds. Should just about be able to load it up before my old CDP dies...
... would that be your CD555? Winker
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by Martin D
Keith what did you say before it wad edited ? This is very interesting and not really surprising when you think about it
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by Keith L:
and that's for Naim's £15k juke box player.

Also appearing in jukeboxes from Zanden, Audio Research, Nagra, Bel Canto, Audio Note, Moon, and many manufacturers who like to rise to a challenge and be judged on what they make.
quote:
Originally posted by Martin D:
Keith what did you say before it was edited ?

Ducky - it was edited to remove it.

It was in breach of a forum rule - but in a minor way that editing corrected.
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by Gianluigi Mazzorana
Do they have my day as well?
To be read in a Frank Zappa type voice

CD isn't dead it just smells funny.
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by joe90
Yes CD is dead.

Since you lot don't want dead bodies lying around the house (as ROTF says, they do start to smell), please bring them round to my house and I will dispose of them for you.

It's a free service.
An ignored self-publicist has an entirely appreciative audience - one might think this a favour.

This is a policy statement.
Ducky?

FFS who do you think you are?
And I thought Steve Hopkins was the public relations manager
quote:
Originally posted by Martin D:
Ducky?
FFS who do you think you are?

Someone who regrets to loss of "My lover" as a casual shopkeeper's greeting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2003/aug/14/britishid...iety.localgovernment
Ah I get it now!
Gert lush.
Posted on: 05 May 2008 by Jack Barron
The death of CD will no doubt be long and twisted.

Record companies will release CDs, and hi-fi manufacturers will make players, as long as there is a profit in it.

Meanwhile an increasing number of acts will put out music for free on the internet.

Ever more people will download flac, wave and Apple Lossless files for nothing and play them through their hi-fi's.

Acts will make money through tours and merchandizing.

Radiohead, Coldplay and Primal Scream recognize this. Some such as Radiohead allow you to pay as much, or little, as you want to download their album.

Mind you, Radiohead's box set of In Rainbows with CDs, vinyl and written info wasn't that cheap. Shame it was great packaging, but less than stellar music.

To play this music people will invest in digital file players, varying from the HDX to PCs and DACs. This is a very rapidly growing area.

The smartest thing Naim could do is release a standalone DAC housed in the current Naim casing. This would make it just another essential element to add to your system like a Hi-Cap, tuner or DVD player.

I'd buy one immediately to use with my Mac Pro and Airport Express, which I have got hooked up to Naim equipment via a Beresford DAC.

There are a lot of people in the world who will never buy an HDX or NS01 that would immediately jump on a Naim DAC.

That is a lot of money for Naim to lose out on.

Oh well ...

Jack