Naim CD player - signal to chassis ground

Posted by: james n on 14 October 2008

Naim CD players connect signal and chassis grounds together - does anyone know if this is a straight link or is it via a low value resistor ?

TIA

James
Posted on: 14 October 2008 by Stoik
I don't think so.

Looking at the DIN and RCA outputs on my CD5i, both signal paths don't touch the casing of the player.

And looking at the caracteristics of Naim CD players, it states an output impedance equal of inferior to 10 ohms, maybe that's what you're looking for.

Bye.
Posted on: 14 October 2008 by Manu
CD players have a straight link, no resistor.
Posted on: 14 October 2008 by David Dever
Actually, there is a resistor, and it varies by model–but they are low-value resistors, less than 100? IIRC....
Posted on: 14 October 2008 by Stoik
quote:
Originally posted by David Dever:
Actually, there is a resistor, and it varies by model–but they are low-value resistors, less than 100? IIRC....

It seems logic. And a continuity test won't reveal it because it's below a value 300 Ohms.

I presume that the resistor value is just enough to not use the earth tap as a dump for unwanted circuit noise.

And it's probably doing it by respecting the star earthing principle, because the output ground is not touching the case anywhere else.

Bye.
Posted on: 15 October 2008 by james n
Thanks guys.

David do you know if the n-Vi does the same or are signal and ground unconnected as per Naim tuners ?

Thanks

James
Posted on: 15 October 2008 by jon h
My understanding is that the following naim kit is earthed as described:

1) cd players
2) the AV2
Posted on: 15 October 2008 by james n
Cheers - Naim HQ replied and there is no direct connection between signal and mains ground on the n-Vi.

James
Posted on: 16 October 2008 by Manu
I have checked on a few players i have on the shelves:

there is no resistor at least on:
CDI, CD2, CD3, CD5, CD5i