Step Inside This House//Road to Ensenada

Posted by: Bob Edwards on 06 February 2001

Hey all--

These are two albums by Lyle Lovett that my wife and I enjoy greatly. Both are great combinations of very witty and moving songs coupled with great recording quality.

Step Inside This House is a double CD of Lyle performing covers. They range from funny songs like "Bears" to elegiac ones like "Ballad of the Snow Leopard and The Tanqueray Cowboy." Well worth picking up if you like terrific music.

Road to Ensenada is a pure Lyle Lovett album. He lets himself be himself, which means there are songs that are just silly like "Fiona" and "That's Right--You're Not From Texas" to intensely personal and moving songs like the title track, "Christmas Morning," and "Promises." Great recording; also well worth picking up if you like great music.

Enjoy !

Bob

Ride the Light !

Posted on: 07 February 2001 by Top Cat
Gets the thumbs up from me as well - I especially love "Live in Texas" - what a great recording!

John

Posted on: 07 February 2001 by colin thomas
Another couple of recommendations, I don't think Lyle's ever made a bad album in fact.
Posted on: 07 February 2001 by ken c
hi guys,

i am a fan as well. i have "road to ensenada" and "joshua judges ruth". i heard the latter in Hifi experience in london -- asked which record was playing -- and proceeded to virgin to buy the cd straightway. he's got some kind of lazy voice which is quiet captivating...

on your recommendations, perhaps i should try out "Step Inside This House" "live in texas" and "i love everybody", right??

read a funny story about lyle in some mag. on his daughters wedding, his present to her was a song...

enjoy...

ken

Posted on: 07 February 2001 by fred simon
Step Inside This House is my favorite Lovett album, and I especially love the song Flyin' Shoes by Townes Van Zandt. I heard Lyle and friends perform this song live on the PBS TV show Sessions at 54th Street and I was deeply moved. Made me buy the album.

I've always dug Lyle, but less so the swing/"large band" stuff. That's why Step Inside This House is so great to my ears, it's acoustic small ensemble singer/songwriter stuff.

Joshua Judges Ruth is one of the most clever album titles of all time, taken from chapters in sequence right from the table of contents in the Bible.

(Only one thing troubles me: apparently Lovett performed at the inaugural ball for President Shrub. I'm disappointed, to say the least. I expect much more from Lovett, as opposed to that Neanderthal he shared the stage with, Larry Gatlin, who had the sheer, disgusting, shameful audacity to call Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris a hero, comparing her to ... get this ... Rosa Parks and Mother Teresa!! That's pretty near evil.)

Posted on: 09 February 2001 by colin thomas
Fred that's interesting and I share your disappointment but I suppose Texans stick together.
I've got a couple of albums by the late Townes Van Zandt , Our Mother The Mountain and Live at the Old Quarter - both excellent. Anybody recommend any others?