DAC + Headphone Amp

Posted by: Obsessed1 on 20 July 2008

Just picked up a pair of AKG 701s on the cheap, and a Wadia iTransport (digital out from an iPod) also is on order.

The perfect foil to these would be a DAC and headphone amp combined. I'm new to the world of headphones, and my "distributed audio" experience is limited to iTunes on the Mac and a Sonos system, and the ipod into Wadia when it gets here. (So go easy on me.)

Anyway, I'm looking for an affordable dac plus headphone amp combination. The three that I am aware of are the Benchmark DAC, Lavry DA10 and NuForce iCon. Has anyone tried some or all of these? Are there others that I should consider?

Oh yes and I keep hearing rumours of a Naim DAC, too. I doubt it will come bundled with a headphone amp, tho.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Posted on: 21 July 2008 by EmCee
Beresford TC-7510 -

I have two of these, one fed by computer into Audiolab 8000s & 8000P into Ruark Talisman II, the second one fed by computer and Philips DVD Player, into NAC282 NAP250.2 HiCap into Allaes.

The Naim setup sounds wonderful with a variety of sources (including the CDX2 / XPS2 combo which is very rarely used) The Audiolab setup sounding very good as the output for multimedia type stuff (wife friendly living room).

I am sure there are better DAC out there, however unlikely to be as good value.

EmCee
Posted on: 21 July 2008 by pcstockton
Obsessed,
Just about every DAC out there has a headphone pre and volume pot nowadays.

The Beresford is about $190. But the headphone pre is allegedly a little noisy.
Posted on: 21 July 2008 by PMR
quote:
Originally posted by Obsessed1:
Just picked up a pair of AKG 701s on the cheap, and a Wadia iTransport (digital out from an iPod) also is on order.

The perfect foil to these would be a DAC and headphone amp combined. I'm new to the world of headphones, and my "distributed audio" experience is limited to iTunes on the Mac and a Sonos system, and the ipod into Wadia when it gets here. (So go easy on me.)

Anyway, I'm looking for an affordable dac plus headphone amp combination. The three that I am aware of are the Benchmark DAC, Lavry DA10 and NuForce iCon. Has anyone tried some or all of these? Are there others that I should consider?

Oh yes and I keep hearing rumours of a Naim DAC, too. I doubt it will come bundled with a headphone amp, tho.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Obsessed1.

Without doubt by far the best headphone output is the Benchmark.

The Lavry is gentle on the ears, but a million miles away from the detail, accuracy and dynamic of the DAC1. I haven't heard the NuForce, but it appears compromises are made by headphone amplifiers or they opt for a house sound.

Peter
Posted on: 21 July 2008 by Obsessed1
Thanks lads.

Sounds like the Benchmark is closest to what I want, but maybe a bit more expensive. Maybe I'll troll the net and see what turns up.
Posted on: 24 July 2008 by uem
You may want to look at this model:
Meier-Audio, CORDA OPERA
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

or - but these are WAY up the price ladder -
Grace design M902, but are rated as some of the best "integrated DAC Headphone amps"

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/902/m902.htm

Regards

Urs
Posted on: 10 August 2008 by Jono 13
quote:
Originally posted by Obsessed1:

Is the Wadia any good? I am re-ripping my music collection lossless and would like to use my iPod as a mobile music server with my Naim hi-fi.

Jono
Posted on: 12 August 2008 by Duncan Fullerton
quote:
Originally posted by uem:
You may want to look at this model:
Meier-Audio, CORDA OPERA

I have a Meier 2Move portable amplifier and I have to say they are nicely built bits of kit that sound great. Jan Meier is a pleasure to deal with. My headphones at AKG701's too.

Duncan
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by Obsessed1
quote:
Originally posted by Jono 13:
Is the Wadia any good? I am re-ripping my music collection lossless and would like to use my iPod as a mobile music server with my Naim hi-fi.

Jono

Sounds pretty good so far. Right now I have the Wadia connected to a Cary CDP input (capable of upsampling to 96/24) and I am very impressed. Not really "digital" sounding, and quite musical. Not sure about PRAT yet, but the ipod and Wadia are only a few days old and are just breaking in. I have a Beresford DAC coming in a few days, which also should prove interesting.