Transfer HDX-ripped music to another device?

Posted by: LeeTom on 11 November 2008

Hello,
One of the most enticing things about the HDX is its ripping engine. From what I understand, it could result in better sounding audio files than what my Mac can produce.

So naturally, I would like to move those audio files out of the HDX into my iTunes on my computer for syncing with my iPhone.

I read the HDX manual, but couldn't find a way to get music out of the HDX. Is it stuck in there, or am I dense?

Thanks much,
Lee Tom
Posted on: 12 November 2008 by michael1702
still waiting for this promised feature too!
Posted on: 12 November 2008 by Steven Hopkins
We are hoping to release the software, to allow the HDX to rip to a NAS drive or other device, at the end of January
Posted on: 12 November 2008 by Frank Abela
Hmmm, one wonders then whether one can switch off the internal discs permanently? This would make for an even quieter, indeed silent, machine...just a thought...
Posted on: 12 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
I think that the post was really asking if once you have music stored on the HDXs HDD, can this music be transferred in total to another computer/NAS, not just ripping to another device.
Posted on: 12 November 2008 by js
quote:
Originally posted by gary1:
I think that the post was really asking if once you have music stored on the HDXs HDD, can this music be transferred in total to another computer/NAS, not just ripping to another device.
Network sharing on your PC gets it done.
Posted on: 12 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
quote:
Originally posted by js:
quote:
Originally posted by gary1:
Network sharing on your PC gets it done.

John, agreed, I forgot to write that. Furthermore for those with Sonos, SB etc..., if you have an HDX you can set these devices to "see" the HDX rips as part of network sharing and then can use this to play through sonos or distribute throughout your home if it is set up this way. An "inexpensive naimnet" if you will.
Posted on: 12 November 2008 by intothevoid
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Abela:
Hmmm, one wonders then whether one can switch off the internal discs permanently? This would make for an even quieter, indeed silent, machine...just a thought...

Switch off? Why not remove them completely. No, seriously - less vibration, no moving parts, greater reliability, and maybe less expense.

A HDX without the HD... an X! Big Grin

I, for one, would be in the front of the queue for an X Cool

ok, if it has to be three characters, how about NPX? (Network Player X)

Steve
Posted on: 12 November 2008 by LeeTom
I don't think my question has been answered so far... I don't want to rip to another storage device, I want to transfer what's been ripped to the HDX to another drive. I don't see how simply turning on network sharing on a PC will allow this to happen.
Will the software to be released in January allow transfer of files out of an HDX?
Or perhaps the HDX set by default as an SMB share now?
Posted on: 12 November 2008 by js
Once you can find the HDX in your network places, you can see the files and transfer them with sharing.
Posted on: 12 November 2008 by LeeTom
Oh, nice! Thanks!
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by michael1702
which raises the question how to gain access to the meta data (which are not stored in the wav files)?

and how are the files organized/named?
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
quote:
Originally posted by michael1702:
which raises the question how to gain access to the meta data (which are not stored in the wav files)?

There was something posted briefly by Naim, but it seems to have disappeared. Not sure why, unless since the software update was pushed back to end of January they withdrew the info or decided to limited software access. Not sure why, but at least you can transfer the music.
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by pcstockton
good luck with your tagging.

I sincerely hope in Future updates of the HDX they add FLAC support.

At this point I cannot imagine why anyone would buy one.
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by Phil Harris
quote:
Originally posted by pcstockton:

...support for the playback of FLAC, AAC and WMA formats (as well as the original WAV and MP3) has been there since the initial 1.4 software update which was earlier this year.

quote:

Your statement above suggests that you have had little experience of the HDX itself ... perhaps that is why?

Cheers

Phil
quote:
Originally posted by LeeTom:
Or perhaps the HDX set by default as an SMB share now?

The HDX (as with the NS0x servers) has always presented a SAMBA share to the outside world so that in a system with multiple HDXs the different HDXs can "see" each others music - those shares however are password protected at this time.

Cheers

Phil
quote:
Originally posted by michael1702:

Currently the structure of the filesystem and the metadata is not something that we allow open access to.

Cheers

Phil
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by Frank Abela
Phil,

Are HDX owners meant to know the password?

Patrick,

It does support FLAC. It doesn't support ripping to FLAC (or any other compressed format).
Posted on: 13 November 2008 by michael1702
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Harris:
since the initial 1.4 software update

is there a change log available? i got the software last week but don't know what it fixed/added...
Mike, I don't believe there is anything new since 1.4. I've had my HDX for about 4-5 weeks and the issues that have come up are being addressed in the next release which is now January.
quote:
Originally posted by pcstockton:
good luck with your tagging.

PC, you've really got to audition one in a properly set-up system, room both bare and with PSU. It really is a terrific product and the final release version miles ahead of what I was expecting from initial reports. Despite some issues the overall UI for a first release is pretty easy and I'm sure will be/has been improved upon. I know you love Flac and it does support flac playback, just not ripping. I really prefer wav and at current HD storage prices is really the way to go IMO.

Just give the thing a go, if it's set up correctly and all other factors it is really an outstanding product.
Posted on: 14 November 2008 by pcstockton
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Abela:
Phil,

Are HDX owners meant to know the password?

Patrick,

It does support FLAC. It doesn't support ripping to FLAC (or any other compressed format).

That was my meaning. I know it plays FLACs and that is half way there. My comment is about ripping to FLAC.

It could easily be an option, as could ripping to MP3 so you could dump those rips on an Ipod.
Posted on: 14 November 2008 by pcstockton
quote:
Originally posted by gary1 (US):

Just give the thing a go, if it's set up correctly and all other factors it is really an outstanding product.

If I had $10K to spend on a source, I would of course consider the HDX.

But for that $10K, unfortunately, I would want it to work they way I desire.

If it was $3K, I wouldn't ask for the world. But given my current infrastructure all I need to do is add a decent DAC and away I go.

You know, it is possible to have great playback (yes even digital or "distributed") and very enjoyable music, without being fairly wealthy.