Think your diesel is powerful?

Posted by: Tony Lockhart on 05 November 2003

Just look at this beauty....
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/
Almost scary.
Tony
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Markus S
Funny you should mention this engine, I will have one of the 6 cylinder versions fitted to my Austin Seven next week.
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Steve B
Impressive stuff.

I wonder how they achieve 50% thermal efficiency when car engines only manage 25-30%?

With 50% efficiency the average small car would do 100 mpg quite easily.

Steve B
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Derek Wright
Imagine changing a piston while the engine is in situ in a ship rolling around in the Antarctic Ocean.

Derek

<< >>
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by garyi
In fairness this is what make humanity amazing, just look at that stuff.

Excellent.
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Martin D
Stunning
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Joe Petrik
Someone should tell Big Jim McBob that there's any even bigger engine available for his Monster Truck.

Joe
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Brian OReilly
It's just not enough.

Brian OReilly
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Tony Lockhart
I suspect the 50% efficiency might come from designing the engine to run at a specific speed, thereby removing complications involved with wider powerbands.
Tony

[This message was edited by Tony Lockhart on WEDNESDAY 05 November 2003 at 23:07.]
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by andy c
I understand VW are installing a smaller version in their next TDi...
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Brian OReilly
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Lockhart:
I suspect the 50% efficiency might come from dsigning the engine to run at a specific speed, thereby removing complications involved with wider powerbands.
Tony

Correct !

Brian OReilly
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by long-time-dead
And then there's this.....

apparently 400mph
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Two-Sheds
I wouldn't want to try going round a corner on that thing Smile
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by Lo Fi Si
quote:
Originally posted by Brian OReilly:
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Lockhart:
I suspect the 50% efficiency might come from dsigning the engine to run at a specific speed, thereby removing complications involved with wider powerbands.
Tony

Correct !

Brian OReilly

Also, the power produced goes up with volume - length scale cubed, while most losses (friction and thermal) increase with length scale squared. So making each cylinder big also helps efficiency.

Simon
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by Steve B
quote:
Also, the power produced goes up with volume - length scale cubed, while most losses (friction and thermal) increase with length scale squared. So making each cylinder big also helps efficiency.

Sounds plausible. That's probably why then, that 6 cylinder car engines are thirstier than 4 cylinder ones of the same capacity?

Steve B
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by JohanR
In my youth a cousin of mine was a chief mechanic on a ocean going Vessel. I visited the boat when it was ashore in Sweden. The engine was being serviced and I vividly remember how people was INSIDE the cylinders working on something.

I have also been sitting UNDER a huge supertanker, but that's another story.

JohanR
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by Martin Clark
quote:
Sounds plausible. That's probably why then, that 6 cylinder car engines are thirstier than 4 cylinder ones of the same capacity?

Not quite - the six has more surface area for the same swept volume, hence more heat loss and more internal friction. Theoretically the six cylinder offers a higher power output because the moving bits are lighter and therefore can rev higher, displacing more volume per unit time and thus developing more power.

This is the main reason F1 engineers settled on V10 engines as a balance between rather a V12 and a V8 for the present capacity limit.
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by BigH47
Unfortunately the F1 engineers are now stuck with V10 by rule. There were rumours of 2 strokes and other variations but these have been sidelined under the "cost" cutting rules.
Perhaps not the top of motor racing engineering after all.

Howard
Posted on: 08 November 2003 by Tony Lockhart
I think the fact that they are 'stuck' with the V10 for now means that the engines are at the very limit of what can be achieved with that configuration.
There are stories that engine capacity will be reduced soon together with number of cylinders. 2.5 litre V8s have been mentioned.
Tony
Posted on: 08 November 2003 by john rubberneck
RE V10

My understanding was that for the shape of cylinder used 300cc was the optimal charge/discharge capacity, well that was the current theory in the 70s as i seem to remember it.

Stuart
Posted on: 08 November 2003 by Tony Lockhart
The speed of the flame front probably has a great deal to do with it too.
Do F1 engines use flat plane cranks, or are they 'proper' V10s?
Tony
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by Rasher
I want to see the spanners they use!!
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by Steve B
Are these engines Kick-Start or electric?

Steve B
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by Martin Clark
There's more big engine silliness here, this time a 48 cylinder 2-stroke motorbike.