Logitech 885 universal remote

Posted by: Marc Evans on 08 July 2005

Well this post is a blatant plug for something I think is a great product that would be of interest to people in the HT forum, but it's not really Naim related (except that it controls an AV2) so it might end up in the padded cell. So be it...

In a nutshell I got a Logitech 885 universal remote and it has my pronto beaten hands down in terms of useability and ease of setup. I guess it's similar to the 668 people here have mentioned before, but it's got a colour screen. It keeps the separate teletext buttons too so you can still press the sky red button if you really must Winker

And... it handles the quirky "keep it pressed down for a while" power button on my AV2, which is something the pronto consistantly failed to do! Setup was a breeze, a shade over 3 hours tweaking got 6 devices working happily together. (in decent programmable remote terms, that's really not a lot of time!)

There you go, plug over. I don't work for them, sell them or have anything to do with them but I'm chuffed to bits with my new toy so I thought I'd share Smile
Posted on: 08 July 2005 by Brian Hoyer
What else in the system are you controlling? I am a Naim dealer and have been excited about this remote, but have not tried one yet because the US distributors are back ordered.
Posted on: 09 July 2005 by SimonJ
I have the 655 and it is amazingly easy to setup and use. I have spent 3 years trying to find a remote that my girlfriend can use. I have had tried a Pronto [££££] and a Home Theatre Master [£££] (pretty good) but the Logitech [££] is by far the best and strangely the cheapest! I would thoroughly recommend. Cool
Posted on: 09 July 2005 by Marc Evans
Brian - the full kit list is as follows:

- Sony wega 32" widescreen CRT (I don't have the exact model to hand)
- Naim AV2
- squeezebox
- Sky+ (Satellite / PVR)
- Pioneer 668 DVD
- Epson TW200 projector

The US model 880 is nearly identical to the 885 as far as I know, except that in Europe we get a few extra coloured buttons to map to the teletext functions
Posted on: 16 August 2005 by AndrewB
quote:
Originally posted by SimonJ:
I have the 655 and it is amazingly easy to setup and use. I have spent 3 years trying to find a remote that my girlfriend can use. I have had tried a Pronto [££££] and a Home Theatre Master [£££] (pretty good) but the Logitech [££] is by far the best and strangely the cheapest! I would thoroughly recommend. Cool

I bought one on your recommendation and it is great, thanks. Lots of geeky set-up fun if you want to, and simple enough for my 7yr old to operate. It controls my Meridian CD player, Denon AV amp, Sony DVD player, Pioneer DVD player, Humax freeview box, JVC VCR, Philips TV and Sanyo projector without any problems at all.

Andrew
Posted on: 16 August 2005 by SimonJ
Cool glad you like it. Cool
Posted on: 31 August 2005 by Brucie
Could something like the logitech control a Naim CDS1 or NAC 82 for instance?

Thanks
Bruce
Posted on: 31 August 2005 by SimonJ
quote:
Originally posted by Brucie:
Could something like the logitech control a Naim CDS1 or NAC 82 for instance?

Thanks
Bruce

Yes, they should be able to do it once programed straight off their web site as their web site has a huge configuration database. If it doesn't the remote can also learn from any other remote anyway.
Posted on: 13 September 2005 by Richwleeds
I have a Logitech 655 and its great - but a bit of investment required to get it to operate but once programmed its now controlling:
- Naim 252 (linked into AV system)
- CDX2
- NEC Plasma
- Denon AV Processor
- Denon DVD player
- Sky +
- Sony Handy cam (bit of trial and error for this one!!)
and also input selection for my analogue sources (LP12, Nat 03 radio)