Wireless networks

Posted by: jcs_smith on 17 November 2008

Is there a sound difference between connecting your device via a wireless network to a NAS or by using a cable? And if there is would it make a difference at a Squeezebox level rather than an HDX level?
Posted on: 17 November 2008 by james n
Yep - even with a good signal quality. I preferred my SB with wired and wireless disabled. Less RF noise inside the device and also less around the hi-fi itself.

James
Posted on: 17 November 2008 by Jack
Just switched my Squeezebox to wireless and I'm getting pauses in the music stream! No such problems yesterday whilst playing it wired.

Jack
Posted on: 17 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
Absolutely, wired is the way to go.
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by David Dever
Wireless networks are akin to third-world AC mains power–you never know what the performance level might be at any one point, and you will almost always need a Plan B.

I cannot stress how important basic wired Ethernet is as a residential utility–if you are able to map a wired path from one point to another (into a crawl space or, even, under a running board at floor level), do it. You will not regret the peace of mind.

We will, in the not-so-distant future, look upon low-voltage data network wiring in the same manner as basic AC mains–absolutely necessary as part of residential living in a civilized society.
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by jon h
And if you have worries about the volts getting overly excited, then ethernet<->fibre transducers are not expensive these days and are totally immune from earth problems etc (although have their own issues -- microphony, turning circle, termination)
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by Gary S.
quote:
Originally posted by avole:
Rubbish. Wireless is the only way to go. And if you think you can hear a difference in sound, then it's just a case of self delusion!

Eek Confused Eek I must be self delusional then!
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by Naijeru
quote:
Originally posted by avole:
Rubbish. Wireless is the only way to go. And if you think you can hear a difference in sound, then it's just a case of self delusion!

I know silence when I hear it. It is singularly annoying and why I use Apple TV as a music server rather than stream anything over the network, ethernet or wi-fi, at all.
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by spacey
i use wireless and its streams perfectly, once its got past the first little blip after 5 seconds itunes/AE causes...
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by Harry H. Wombat
wireless is convenient but not reliable. Very sensitive to large bits of metal.
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by David Dever
quote:
Wireless is the only way to go. And if you think you can hear a difference in sound, then it's just a case of self delusion!

Wot, no smiley? Eek

Surely you're winding us up-you can't be that naive.
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by winkyincanada
Well, I for one can't pick the SQ difference between MBP>Wireless>AE>Toslink>Supernait or MBP>Toslink>Supernait. Sorry.

The dropouts with wireless can be a bit annoying, though - but thankfully rare.
Posted on: 19 November 2008 by james n
quote:
except those inevitable few who believe there is a difference in sound quality.

Wired and wireless - same data so of course no change in sound quality. Add in RF energy around sensitive audio circuitry and that's where you get the differences. The same with the Squeezebox - wire it and disable the wireless connection does improve the sound quality. Whether that's due to removing the 2.4Ghz signal which is in very close proximity to the audio board or just less noise going back into the SB power supply from the wireless card the difference is still there.

James
Agreed - it is the implemenation rather than anything else. I think any device like this which uses wireless should allow for a remote wireless module on a flying lead to move the wireless hardware away from the audio hardware. Ok not quite the integrated solution but better for ultimate sound quality if you really need to use wireless.

James
Posted on: 19 November 2008 by DaveBk
I use a Transporter with wireless and am happy with the sound quality. Given that most ethernet connections are 100Mbit to 1Gbit they are also radiating RF energy as is the CPU and any other digital component. I'm far from convinced that the argument is as simple as wireless is bad, ethernet is good.
Have you compared the transporter running wireless to wired ?
Posted on: 19 November 2008 by DaveBk
No, I was very pleased with the results using wireless so never bothered. One day I will get around to a quick check, but I've no plans to run a permanent ethernet connection into my listening room.
Posted on: 20 November 2008 by james n
I'd be interested in your results if you do try it although the transporter does have a better wireless arrangement compared to the SB / Duet with their internal wireless antennas.

James
Posted on: 20 November 2008 by Roy Donaldson
Don't know what the problem is with wireless. I'm getting 130Mbps to all the devices in my house and will shortly, when I get a new AP, get that up to 300Mbps.

Bit faster than the 100Mbps ethernet most people deploy.

Roy.
Posted on: 20 November 2008 by DaveBk
Roy, I think there are two different issues being debated here - 1, Is the quality of the wireless network sufficient to allow seamless streaming without dropouts etc, and 2, does a wireless transmitter in close proximity to the analogue audio components degrade the sound quality.

In my view 1 should be easy to overcome as modern APs are very capable and with careful placement can provide good coverage in most homes. 2 provides far more fuel for debate as it's largely a subjective opinion. As James points out above, not all devices are well engineered - in my case the Transporter design places the antennas outside the case, the wires to these are well screened as is the actual wifi module. Other devices with plastic cases and internal antennas may have more of an issue.