Itunes has shafted me.

Posted by: rega1 on 07 August 2008

I decided to let itunes be my main software for ripping and burning. Low and behold it moved a ton of my WAV files that I had to the "unknown" artist folder. Now I have 1000+ songs not in their folder. Is there a fix, any help out there would be appreciated.

rega1
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by Exiled Highlander
Go back to the last Win XP restore point? Other than that I have no idea....sorry.

What did you do that created this problem?

Jim
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by garyi
He told itunes to organise his misic folder, but wavs don't support tagging.

A problem for sure, but not itunes fault, RTFM.

Try searching versiontracker, for mac there is some software which will search the web for tags for untagged files.
Posted on: 08 August 2008 by rega1
I converted some songs to WAV and imported about 500 songs from a persons hardive. All music was in the proper folders, but I did not "uncheck" the box that said "organize my music" is what I am thinking.

garyi...Your Right, it is not Itunes fault, but I still hate the software now, who creates a program that does that Frown. SONOS doesn't have any problem reading the music information, it still found all the music with the album info, why not Itunes? If itunes can burn and convert all the formats it has listed, why not have the ability to see the tags, etc?

Sorry, just ranting now Red Face

rega1
Posted on: 08 August 2008 by garyi
Hi rega. WAVs does not support tagging. There was no tags in the wavs, the sonos presumably put the information relating to them files somewhere else.

Do try searching for WAV and itunes on versiontracker though, there is bound to be a solution!
Posted on: 08 August 2008 by pcstockton
sorry to hear that.....

I have one word for you...
FLAC
quote:
Originally posted by pcstockton:
sorry to hear that.....

I have one word for you...
FLAC

Pat,(in the Austin powers voice) HOW bout' NO!!!!.....

I am kidding Pat. I must say that I like WAV for some files and admit that apple lossless for jazz works quite well for me. The FLAC was too separated for me, something about the sound didn't do it.

But here again, maybe I did something wrong in the burn, or it just wasn't right when I converted some tracks using media monkey. I could have gone the wrong way on a conversion. To quote someone else on this forum "you are just converting 1's and 0's" (1100010111). Could the conversion just have reached a point where the music does not sound good? Does it need to be ripped originally from the disc to FLAC?

What program out there (free or cheap) other than "media Monkey" (wasn't impressed) allows you to rip FLAC, any good suggestions? And yes guys, I will also search in the "find" for that answer.

garyi, thanks for the tip, I will search and then I will be helplessly trying to put things back together tonight. Oh well, I can listen to my new burned discs and catch up on some some vinyl replay, and who doesn't want to do that for a whole evening Smile

rega1
Rega,

Are you saying you can hear the difference between a FLAC, ALAC, and a WAV?

Wow, you have better ears than I.

Given the same source, no errors (or the same errors), and the same player, I cannot imagine there could be an audible difference.

I am not even sure there is a measurable difference beyond our hearing threshold.

But if you say you can hear it, then I suppose FLAC is not for you.

I think it is more likely though that it is more of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Disregarding errors. They should be IDENTICAL.
turned up to about 9:00 on the naim richter scale is seemed as if the music was forward and "in your face" a bit more. That is what I mean. It would be like going to see THE WHO and the difference being from sitting in the lower bowl straight in front of the stage 75 yards away at an indoor venue, and moving to the right of the stage in front of the monitors. I am not speaking of music presentation at all.

Like I said, probably something stupid I did with the leveling, checked a wrong box, something. You and many others swear by it. That is why I would like to give it another go,hence my diving into my server to rip and convert "lossless", WAV and do some flac files. And I just created a headache for myself.

quote:
Wow, you have better ears than I.

just heard a dog whistle, gotta go Razz Winker

quote:
I think it is more likely though that it is more of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In that case I wish to fall ass backwards into money so I can buy a FC2X, CDs3 and a set of SF Amati Anniversarios, yeah baby!!!! Big Grin

It's Friday, I am a little punchy and happy that the week is almost done.

rega1
Posted on: 08 August 2008 by Patrick F
2 cents

they files may have not been put on the hard drive that your "friend" had correctly. which would cause the miscommunication between software. even if they were in the folders they might have not been tagged correctly.

cheers
quote:
Originally posted by patevil:
2 cents

they files may have not been put on the hard drive that your "friend" had correctly. which would cause the miscommunication between software. even if they were in the folders they might have not been tagged correctly.

yeah, just thought of that too!!! Bummer thing is, all the artwork, icons, and files are still in the folders, just no music files. Damndest thing?????

thanks for your help.

rega1

cheers
flac... foobar...eac
quote:
Originally posted by pcstockton:
flac... foobar...eac

Winker Have a good weekend Pat. I will be posting some pics soon of my new upgrades. Due in next week or so. Big Grin Big Grin

rega1
Posted on: 09 August 2008 by Nich
I've been using Media Monkey to rip CDs to flac, and then streamed the tracks wirelessly to a SB3. Gives good results in my farly lowly system. Then I tried some wav files I'd ripped previously. Wav seems to have a slight edge - sort of more emotion (?). Flac is 'lossless' but still manages to compress the information a little - could something still be lost??
Posted on: 09 August 2008 by garyi
Nope. its in effect a zip file that is unzipped prior to playing. Its like implying you get a zipped word document but once unzipped the As are missing, doesn't happen.
Posted on: 12 August 2008 by rega1
UPDATE. Picked up all the old files. Have been transferring and converting for DAYS!!! Going to Keep itunes main folder on my laptop "D" drive that has nothing on it, burn everything there and then move it to my server. Again, I do like the Lossless format for some CD's, so I want ot keep it. I have been using media monkey for all conversions and moves, seems to work well, and I purchased the gold package.

That is all.

Nich, what setting do you use for the FLAC rip on the compression option?

Rega1
Posted on: 12 August 2008 by Nich
Sorry for the late reply Rega1

I use the lowest compression setting, and leave the cd read settings at 'Standard Read' and frame numbers at default (Tools, Options, CD ripping). The 'Jitter-corrected Read' option dosen't seem to really apply as I've experienced on problems.

As I get used to Media Monkey it grows on me, and it works fine with SqueezeCentre.