First Steps . Very Impressed .

Posted by: AS332 on 08 November 2008

With my CDX2 back at the dealers being repaired at the moment I decided to pick up a Airport Express yesterday just out of curiosity really. I already have a large number of my CD’s ripped in Apple Lossless on my imac and using a very cheap and cheerful 3.5mm to RCA cable attached it to my 282 .
Very basic and therefore my expectations were quite low having used the same cheap cable in the past to link up a digital radio and ipod when running in my speakers .
After a couple of minutes to set up the AE to my wireless network and using Screen Share on my old Powerbook as a controller I settled down with a nice cuppa .
I have to say , even with this basic set up the sound was incredibly good . Its certainly no CDX2 beater but very enjoyable and also a little weird that I’m listening to music stored on a computer on another floor of the house !
This experiment has shown me how much potential this format has ( I know I’m not saying anything new in this part of the forum ) and I am keen to experiment further .
Being rather impulsive , I have already decided to take it to the next stage without spending too much money at this early stage and have ordered a Beresford DAC and some better cables from Flashback ( Which as I write have just arrived , very quick service from Flashback ).
Great fun .

Ed

P.S. Beresford just arrived too !!!
Posted on: 08 November 2008 by AS332
Thanks guys ,
All connected up and tested . I got a slightly longer RCA to 5 pin cable and now AE and Beresford are hidden away behind the sofa .

Unfortunately , I've been out voted and Cartoon Network takes precedent over my enjoyment at the moment !! Not long until swimming lessons though !
Posted on: 08 November 2008 by garyi
Presumably you have the SPDIF and adaptor?
Posted on: 08 November 2008 by AS332
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
Presumably you have the SPDIF and adaptor?

Hi Gary ,
Yes , I decided to get a Toslink cable with a 3.5mm adapter as I could use the cable for other things in the future .

Ed