Naim HDX - Any info ?

Posted by: m0omo0 on 31 March 2008

From the Linn Akurate DS & Klimax DS; My impression after Linn evening thread:
quote:
Originally posted by meissmar:
At the "Sehen und Hoeren" in Nuremberg I was told by Musicline that Naim will also present a player called HDX. So as the name tells you, it will have a HD (actually two) installed as a source and you can rip the CDs on the HD as with the music servers. You can connect external drives to it. It will also receive a little screen so you can operate it like a CD-player without having to use an external screen. The price will be about 8000 Euros he said. The unit is also mentioned on the german music line site and will be shown at the High End in Munich in April.

Looks like a standalone, self-contained, expandable NS* not related to NaimNet. Requires a careful positioning then.

Any info on this ?

(Not yet announced, not even confirmed, but a little speculation is always fun, isn't it ?)

Maurice
Posted on: 31 March 2008 by glevethan
I do not know the details however I have heard from an impecable source that it does exist.

Gregg
Posted on: 31 March 2008 by gone
quote:
Originally posted by m0omo0:

(Not yet announced, not even confirmed, but a little speculation is always fun, isn't it ?)

But what nice speculation - I was just in the process of getting a listen to the Klimax organised. But the idea of a Naim equivalent would be something else
Could NS* mean NSX or is that name taken by something else beautiful?
Posted on: 31 March 2008 by m0omo0
Well, that was intended as a wildcard for NS 01, NS 02, NS 03 and NS REF - aka the Naim music Servers, but this device might fit Winker

Really nice. I had forgotten about its existence.
Posted on: 31 March 2008 by m0omo0
Oh well, HDX is a very common abbreviation apparently. It is a laptop range, more than one video solution, a hybrid CD/MP3/HD/vinyl-like turntable (???) and so on.

As we know the previous Naim branding schemes, are we expecting the spani... higher end HDS (this one is also very common by the way).
Posted on: 01 April 2008 by Mike Smiff
Only in Silly Suffolk.LOL Big Grin
Posted on: 01 April 2008 by meissmar
Additional to what I already wrote, it will of course have 2 hard disks installed in a raid system. So if one of the disks is faulty, the other one will serve as a backup. The guy from Musicline said that it will sound better then a CDX2, but then again it should because when you look at the price tag, then you have to compare it to CDX2+XPS2. We didn't do that at the exhibition, we just listened to it play acouple songs from the HD. Sounded very promising, but it wasn't the final version, so we have to wait.
Posted on: 01 April 2008 by JWM
quote:
Originally posted by Mikeie:
Only in ... Suffolk

Yes indeed. For some info on HDX see the special announcement posted today at Signals website.
Posted on: 01 April 2008 by Jono 13
All fools day?

Jono
Posted on: 01 April 2008 by m0omo0
quote:
Originally posted by JWM:
Yes indeed. For some info on HDX see the special announcement posted today at Signals website.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Hope Naim quickly release firmware upgrades so the logo and display on all boxes can be turned to orange... (ORANGE!!!)

To your Photoshop, quick!
Posted on: 01 April 2008 by Signals UK
quote:
(ORANGE!!!)

It is a particular shade that Bentley use.

Naturally.

Alastair
quote:
Originally posted by Signals UK:
It is a particular shade that Bentley use.

NO WAY! (Well they have something like bronze actually.)

On the other way...

(Good heavens! How dare they...)
Posted on: 01 April 2008 by AndrewK7
I heard a mention of this player when listening to the Supernait with CD5i-2 last week. I believe it records CDs and internet music. May do more and sound better than CDX2. It will change the way people listen to music in future or I've been told more people are downloading music from the internet. I'm not ready for that but the software must be. Im not very technical. Want to press 'play' and listen. Ask for Paul at Grahams Hifi.
Posted on: 01 April 2008 by Signals UK
quote:
NO WAY! (Well they have something like bronze actually.)

For the instruments, old boy.
Oh! I see... You were right, look, it's orange already!
You've begged for it... (cheap trick, sorry tonym)
Posted on: 06 April 2008 by m0omo0
From the High End Society website: there will be a press event from Music Line on April 24th:

"The HDX: Naim`s Audiophile Hard Disk Player"

Anybody planning to go to the Münich show ?
Posted on: 07 April 2008 by rupert bear
If it can stream internet radio, I'm buying one.
Posted on: 07 April 2008 by Frank Abela
I believe, though I could be wrong, that the HDX is a working title for what will eventually be the NS03.

I could be wrong though...
Posted on: 07 April 2008 by glevethan
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Abela:
I believe, though I could be wrong, that the HDX is a working title for what will eventually be the NS03.

I could be wrong though...

Or NS REF , the fourth model as listed on the NaimNet site?

Gregg
Posted on: 16 April 2008 by Frank Abela
No, the NS REF is further up the scale...
Posted on: 16 April 2008 by m0omo0
I'm really confused by the way these NS* music servers are brought to market.

If you check the Music Line website, from where this HDX thing came in the first place, they don't even seem to advertise NaimNet. On the main NaimNet website, the release plan in the newsletter has never been updated.

This is not intended as a criticism, as I can imagine how complex it is to market such an ambitious product line, it's just that I've not found my way to the whole picture and I don't get it yet. And the way it is introduced to the traditional 2-channel audiophile market (outside the multi-room thing) is even more confusing. It's just a matter of time I guess, and obviously I could start by having a chat with my dealer.

Naim entered 3 new markets in the last 7 years or so (AV, NaimNet and the embedded market with Naim for Bentley), and I find very interesting to see how they do it.

Maurice
Posted on: 16 April 2008 by Mark R
Pure supposition, of course, but what if the HD* range parallels the CD* range but not include the NaimNet multi-room/NetStreams pieces/requirements, just "some" integrated network "stuff" for single room deployment? Maybe an HDS to come too?
Posted on: 17 April 2008 by Richard Dane
All will be revealed at the High End show in Munich next week...
Posted on: 17 April 2008 by james n
Let me guess - A NAPSC sized box - ethernet connection, A nice user interface controlled by an iPod touch, integration with iTunes and Apple DRM content. A sort of Slim devices Duet from Salisbury... Smile

I await the news with interest - with the Linn Sneaky DS now introduced the Network player market looks good Cool

James
Posted on: 17 April 2008 by Svetty
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Dane:
All will be revealed at the High End show in Munich next week...

Anyone thinking of upgrading their CDP between now and then might want to reconsider??