Nelly Furtado

Posted by: Allan Probin on 10 March 2001

Anybody heard/have an opinion on the new album by Nelly Furtado ?

I was skulking around the local CD shop today and they played a track from this album ("Whoa, Nelly!") over the shop system. The track I heard was sort of HipHop/Rap, perhaps a touch of latin with a voice that sounded like a sweeter Missy Elliot. Anyway, I was really impressed and had to ask behind the counter who it was. Apparently its from a new album thats not out until Monday (12th March).

Had a quick look at the Nelly Furtado web-site and out of curiosity went to the Nelly Furtado forum. The forum format is a bit like this one - but amazingly busy. Page after page of topics that have todays date as last post date. And each topic with many replies. I would estimate something like 300 to 400 posts a day. All hugely enthusiastic about this woman. I don't think it was powered by Infopoop though - it would probably crumble within minutes if it was.

Allan

[This message was edited by Allan Probin on SATURDAY 10 March 2001 at 22:44.]

Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Mike Hanson
It's a great album, and seriously impressive for a debut performance. It's got a great blend of different styles, yet it makes sense as a cohesive expression. The songs are fun, and the production is excellent (especially for a pop album). In fact, if all pop were this enjoyable, I might actually start listening to pop radio.

Oh yeah: she just won a bunch of awards (Best New Artist, Best Songwriter, Best Production, and something else) at the recent Juno awards. The Junos are Canada's equivalent to the Grammys. BTW, the Barenaked ladies one three awards at the same ceremony (Best Album, Best Pop Album, and possibly Best Group). Finally, they inducted Bruce Cockburn into the Hall of Fame.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Allan Probin
Thanks Mike,

Thats re-assuring 'cos when I was out this lunch-time I bought a copy. I was a bit worried because she seems to be packaged and aimed at a young audience, however my instinct was telling me that despite this, there was some substance there.

Allan

Posted on: 13 March 2001 by John Schmidt
I've heard the tune "I'm like a bird", which gets incessant airplay on the top-40 radio station that my children insist on listening to. The first few lines of this song sound to me like somebody doing a bad imitation of late-era Billie Holiday. It doesn't inspire to explore the rest of the album. Then there's the lame pun used for the album title. Whoa, Nelly? Is she horse or a singer?

Cheers,

John Schmidt
"90% of everything is crud" - Theodore Sturgeon

Posted on: 13 March 2001 by Mike Hanson
What the marketing types think is irrelavent! The album is impressive and worth a listen by anyone with an open mind who enjoys good music.

"I'm like a bird" is my least favourite track on the album. The rest are much more intriguing. She doesn't have an extremely strong voice compared to "real" singers, but her vocalizations and rythmic intuition are fabulous!

As far as lyrical content goes, I couldn't care less. It's the groove that counts, and "Whoa Nelly" doesn't disappoint.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 14 March 2001 by Mike Hanson
Actually, I was going for the Widest Taste in Music award. wink

At least I've heard the album, while you're basing your opinions on hearsay. Tsk! I expected more from you, Vuk. To remedy this, I'll bring it out with me when I visit your place next. smile Who knows? ... You might just fall in love.

Regarding those cases of oldies-but-goodies, I'm always up for a bit of Wings or Alan Parsons Project. I've also been re-collecting some of my favourite Genesis albums! razz Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-