Bangles bungles - a moment of severe disappointment

Posted by: Johns Naim on 08 November 2003

Well, I guess it had to happen.

The throne that the BMW 5 series has long occupied in the eyes of many, as being the 'ultimate' medium sized executive saloon looks as if it's about to be vacated, if my recent experience the other afternoon was anything to go by.

Yesterday, a good friend, car nut, BMW owner/fanatic came over with a brand new 5 series - a 530i - which he had on loan for a few hours for a test drive.

During a couple of hours, we both put the vehicle through it's paces, in a variety of different road conditions/circumstances, which were more than enough to judge the ability of the vehicle in many different areas.

In a nutshell, it was a BMW six, driving experience, clothed in the exeterior and interior rags of something more akin to a Toyota Camry, or Peugeot, or your typical Ford/GM product.

The driving experience was exemplary, with the most notable improvement over the runout model being the new active steering. U - turns required no more than a quick twist/flick of the wheel, and ditto tight roundabouts/corners, which could be dismissed with similar levels of low wheel twirling, more straight arms flick, left and right actually, all the while accompanied by high levels of adhesion and a near neutral balance re oversteer understeer etc and an exceptionally flat and stable cornering attitude.

In short, the driving dynamics were superb. The new six speed auto/tip shift gearbox is much like the old, with the exception of now having an extra gear, and the benefits the extra spread of ratios confers upon both performance and flexiblity, as well as undoubtedly economy.

However, both myself and my BMW fanatic friend, were both very disappointed in the interior to say the least. The essential aura, in a car so expensive, of quality, taste, elegance, refinement etc just was not there.

At first, shocked that BMW could get it so seemingly wrong, I thought the finish was about equal to a VW Golf - but for a price difference of AUS$70,000.

Upon reflection, and closer examination, I felt that the BMW interior re quality of materials is actually inferior to a Golf, and closer to something like a 206 Peugeot, Ford Focus, or an Astra. Not that they are bad cars, but when one is being asked to spend AUS$100,000 v's AUS$ 30,000, one expects a lot more in terms of luxury/quality of plastics fittings, and interior presentation in particular.

The new car is both spartan on one hand, featuring a look that is modern and contemporary to be sure, but just does not have that sense of 'class/quality' or being special in any way.

On the other hand, hard edged plastics abound, with a coarse dimpled grain, both looking and feeling hard to the touch, and overall not even coming close to what one would expect given the price and BMW's reputation.

As my friends car was in for a service, he took the new demonstrator back, and was given a runout 2003 E39 530i as a loan vehicle.

So we repeated some aspects of our previous test of the new machine.

I realise it's perhaps somewhat subjective, however both myself and my friend far prefered the outgoing car, in looks, most especially in interior presentation/quality/ambience and that particular 'something' that makes a BMW a very nice place to sit in/be, and apart from the steering, thought that it was much the superior vehicle. Both cars were brand new BTW.

By way of interest, my BMW friend tends to be very one-eyed about the brand, and it was the first time I've ever known him to criticise anything BMW - usually he is completely unfazed by BMW criticism, and scarecly recognises that other brands exist - so you can understand this was a momumental level of disappointment for him.

Worse, even the dealer thought poorly of it! - and he has to sell them.. Eek

Doubtless the marketing machine will roll out and trumpet all the 'new' 'virtues' and badge bunnies/victims will buy because it has the right name/reputation/status etc, but I'm of the opinion that it very sadly seems a case of the emperors new clothes, and such people buying the hype and not looking at the car in total compared to other better finished and presented vehicles out there.

I'm not want to 'bash' BMW, because I've always liked them and been a bit of a fan, although my personal choice at that level takes me far more towards Mercedes, but like the recent Mercs for a few years where cost cutting and falling quality standards, particularly in interiors seems to have occured, whilst they at least seem to have recognised the poor public reaction and are doing something about it, BMW seems to be falling into the same trap that Merc seem to be presently extricating themselves from.

It's very sad IMHO.

Oh, and don't start me on the exterior look. Frown

Here in OZ we have this saying 'Eurojap' which is where Japanese designs mimmick those of European manufactures, but 'miss' - the result being an unpleasant/bland/mismatch of shapes/design etc.

If one took the BMW badge off, it could be a Daewoo, Hyundai etc, quite easily.

Anyway, end of rant, but boy, it was sure a dissappointment quite sadly.

But hey, that's just me and my mate - what do you think?

Cheers

John... Wink

Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by BigH47
Lucky he is not looking for a new 7 series then. I would have to park it round the corner so not be able to see it.They must have blind folded the designer. Have no idea how well it drives.

Howard
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by HTK
Well, I'm a BMW owner of may years and many models, so I don't feel in the leat bit unjustified in giving them the bashing they deserve.

The new 5 can best be summed up thus: Interior by Ikea, exterior by Airfix. There isn't one aspect of the design or styling that appeals in any way.

I know that dynamically it's top of the class (driven a couple of demonstrators) but the interior materials look too low rent for me to take it seriously. Not to mention the ergonomics - easily worst in class.

I've got the 'old' 5 series and I'll be hanging onto it. Should the universe give me the means to trade up, it'll be a late model loaded 'old' shape. Wouldn't touch the new one with a long pole. Every time I see one I want to throw up.

There is nothing modern, vital or leading edge about the new BMW design language. It's just plain wrong. It doesn't work. I saw two articles in Autocar (UK) this week about concepts from Vauxhall (Opel/Holden?) and Ford. The former may well swawn a big Omega sized mile muncher while the latter may possibly be a next generation Capri. Neither of them may make production but they both show a take on tomorrow's design philosophy, and they put everything BMW has done in the last three years in an even uglier light. Hell - even the next Peugot 407 looks amazing in comparisom. That car will have a low quality interior - but at least Peugot won't be asking three times what it's worth.

\rant

Harry
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by Brian OReilly
Fair points and balanced posts despite being generally negative. I'm always interested in reading this sort of stuff, particularly if it is critical.

I am surprised though, as I really think the exterior and particularly the interior, are a big leap forward. I personally found the previous design stylish but a little "anonymous", but that may have been what the buyers prefer, and if the market does reject the current direction then the company will have to react. The 7-series has already introduced the new design, so I can't claim that a period of "burn-in" is needed. If you don't like the 5-series now, then you probably never will...

I'll be interested to see whether there is a net gain or loss in sales if current 5-series owners leave the brand and (hopefully) "first time buyers" step in.

Ultimately, reaction to the styling will boil down to personal taste, but it is worrying when the perception of quality is negative. This at least, should be independent of taste.

I am curious as to whether this is a view shared by other potential 5-series buyers, and if people think Bangle(and BMW) has moved too far, too fast.

Regards,

Brian.
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by Not For Me
I am a potential 5 series buyer.

Wouldn't touch it - It's the image you know.

Remember the Audi A4 TV advert - they had it right.

DS
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by TXTY
I've owned 3 series BMWs for a number of years and own one now (as well as a 1975 2002). I'm probably a prime candidate to move up to a 5 series. But there is no way I'd consider one. Next to the 7 series the 5 is about the ugliest car on the road (followed closely by the Z4).

Every review I've seen has commented on it's looks - the kindest comment came from the US BMW magazine which said something like, "fantastic car, questionable styling". I'm sure someone will know the actual quote.

No matter how great the car - and the new 5 series is by all acounts pretty great - the styling has got to hurt sales.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by MichaelC
quote:
Originally posted by Brian OReilly:
I am curious as to whether this is a view shared by other potential 5-series buyers, and if people think Bangle(and BMW) has moved too far, too fast.

I am changing a car next year - a 5 series would have been on the cards but the new styling does absolutely nothing for me. I do not care much for the styling of Mercedes either, and based on those I know who are knocking about in Mercs I wouldn't bother (poor build in particular).

What next??? This will be interesting - I may look at Saab. Does anyone have any views on Saab or alternative suggestions?

Regards

Mike
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by Johns Naim
Well, it's pleasing in a way that at least some do like the look - and perhaps it may be more appealing to a younger, more 'tech' audience than the traditional buyer, however, quality is quality, even if not in ultimate terms of materials, at least in presentation and ambience.

And I wonder, apart from the well heeled 30 something 'tech' buyer, who could afford it in that market/audience segment? - usually it's an older demographic that have the funds to buy/lease that kind of vehicle, and I don't think many will find the exterior or interior look very appealing.

Ikea/airfix presentation at a BMW price indeed.

Cheers

John... Wink

Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by HTK
From the BBC Top Gear website:
" To generalise, it suggests that the recent designs are less the result of one eccentric individual being given free reign over BMW's design, and more the result of a consensus from various aspects of the company about how the new BMWs should be. It suggests that BMW, and not Bangle alone, believes in the new cars."
© 1997-2003 BBC Worldwide Ltd.

So it's been designed and built by a committee. That explains it. I'd like to get all of them round an E60 so that each person present can show me their "bit".

What a shame they got assembled in the wrong order.
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by JohanR
The biggest fault of the design of the new BMW:s, IMHO, is not so much the fact that they are ugly (they REALLY are) but that the design is not the least German. It simply doesn't look like a German car. It might have worked on a Brittish car, Brittish sedans of 30 or 40 years ago was often a bit ungainly.

quote:
What next??? This will be interesting - I may look at Saab. Does anyone have any views on Saab or alternative suggestions?

As a Swede I thank you! The last time I had a car with a SAAB badge on it was the Opel 900 about ten years ago. They simply aren't SAAB:s anymore, just something from the big GM cellars.

Peugot 607? Volvo S80? Remember, the least fashonable the brand is, the less you are paying. The money saved can be used for a BIG vacation.

Myself? I drive Japanese cars nowadays. The quality is well known (one of them is made in Britain, btw) but most important to me is that the Japanese are pragmatics "There is a market out there for this type of car, let's make it!".

JohanR
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by ErikL
Bangle's designs are the wurst

Since Bangle's designs are alienating loyal customers, maybe it's time to follow VW's lead and offer sausages to lure them back to the marque?

-----
From today's WSJ:

WOLFSBURG, Germany -- At its massive headquarters plant here, Volkswagen AG made 515,000 cars last year. But cars aren't the factory's highest-volume product. "We make 1.5 million currywursts a year," boasts Klaus Labersweiler, head of the car company's meat department, while giving a tour of his white-tiled facility. "That's more wursts than cars."

In fact, Europe's largest auto maker is expanding its sausage production and extending the line. Its butcher shop, located in a corner of its assembly plant here, supplies about two dozen company plants and offices in Germany and hopes to reach VW cafeterias across Europe.

...Soon there will be VW currywurst spread, for smearing on bread at breakfast. Still in development: VW currywurst ragout and a microwavable two-wurst package suitable for vending machines.

...One part of VW isn't clamoring for more currywurst: Audi AG, the premium car division, in Bavaria. Audi has a butcher shop of its own that makes its weisswurst, a mild Bavarian specialty made of pork, veal and milk.
-----

PS- The X3 looks like a Toyota RAV4 at a 50% premium, built 50% as well.

PPS- There's an inverse relationship between car price and interior design and material qualities in Germany.
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by Wolf
Well, not to change the rant or anything but I was just at a French/Italian car concours and really enjoyed looking at the high end Italian cars. What they do with steel and leather is a wet dream come true. Maybe you should start looking at the high end cars like $250K models of Maserati, Ferrari and oh yes the Astin Martin. Saw one of those on the street in LA two weeks ago and he was turning left as I was going straight and he wound out 1st and shifted to 2nd and I just about wet my pants, it was an erotic experience.

LA is a great place to see old sports cars (from our good dry climate for preservation) and new (from those that have way too much money to spend on housing and vehicles). I now drive a new Focus and take pleasure in the tight European handling and economy. (Tho I wish I had the SVT version of 170 HP.)

glenn

Life is analogue