Squeezebox beginner

Posted by: dave marshall on 18 November 2008

Hi all,

I've just unpacked and set up the Squeezebox Duet, and the player is at present connected to the Aux 1 input on my Nac 282. I want to connect via my Supercap, so I need to order a twin phono/4 pin din lead. Is this correct?

Also, to register on Squeezecentre, I am being asked for the Pin number of the player. Have tried entering what appears to be the ID number, to no avail. Confused Any suggestions?

Thought I'd try here first, rather than the Squeezcentre help facility, as I'm guessing these issues will have come up before.

Regards,

Dave. Smile
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by james n
Why do you want to connect via your Supercap ? - its just a standard analogue source so connect it as you have it now.

With the pin - this isnt the one that is sent via email to you once you have registered (its the only one i can remember when i had my duet)

Cheers

James
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by Claus-Thoegersen
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dave marshall:
Hi all,

I've just unpacked and set up the Squeezebox Duet, and the player is at present connected to the Aux 1 input on my Nac 282. I want to connect via my Supercap, so I need to order a twin phono/4 pin din lead. Is this correct?

The only thing you can get from the Sc is preamp output to poweramps. What I would do to maybe improve the SB sound would be to get a standard fono to din cable and use one of the din inputs on the 282.

Claus
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by JY
Below are instructions to set up your Squeezenetwork

http://slimdevices.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/slimdevices.cfg...lO&p_li=&p_topview=1
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by JY
Dave are you only using your duet for web radio?

The analogue output of the Duet would be no match for your 282. If you are playing any serious lossless music, you need a good DAC.
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by dave marshall
quote:
Originally posted by JY:
Dave are you only using your duet for web radio?

The analogue output of the Duet would be no match for your 282. If you are playing any serious lossless music, you need a good DAC.

Hi,

I was thinking of adding a decent DAC, once I've gone through the mind numbing process of re-ripping my music to a lossless format. Roll Eyes

Any suggestions re format and DAC? Everyone seems to opt for the Lavry, so I'll look at that and any others which forum members have found to be up to the standard of the Naim kit.

Cheers for the link to the Squeezebox setup page.

Many thanks,

Dave.
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by AS332
Dave ,
My Duet arrived this morning , very exciting .
I use an optical cable from the Duet in to a Beresford DAC and a phono to din cable in to my 282's tape input . Sounds great .
It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Airport Express it replaces . The idea is to switch my music library to a NAS so that the computer does not have to be on .
I also have all my albums in lossless format and am struggling at the moment that the Squeezecentre software only recognises about 10% of my iTunes album art , a bit annoying .

Ed
Posted on: 18 November 2008 by james n
Yep - that's what pissed me off in the end with the duet was the artwork, re scanning the library etc. Once Apple released the remote app for the Touch/iphone it was bye bye duet. Shame as its a nice unit and with a decent NAS its nice to be able to turn off the computer.

James
quote:
Originally posted by AS332:
Dave ,
My Duet arrived this morning , very exciting .
I use an optical cable from the Duet in to a Beresford DAC and a phono to din cable in to my 282's tape input . Sounds great .
It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Airport Express it replaces . The idea is to switch my music library to a NAS so that the computer does not have to be on .
I also have all my albums in lossless format and am struggling at the moment that the Squeezecentre software only recognises about 10% of my iTunes album art , a bit annoying .
Ed

Hi Ed,

I've had a look on the Beresford website, and reading the reviews elsewhere, their DAC seems a bargain.

Which optical interconnect are you using, the HQ or the XQ, or am I getting this wrong, and it's the digital coax cable I should be looking at?

Once this is hooked up via twin phono/Din to my 282, that would leave just the boring bit of re-ripping my music?

Regards,

Dave.
Hi Dave ,
I'm very happy with the Beresford and I didn't want to spend too much initially . I got the Toslink cable from Beresford also with a phono to din cable from Flashback .I'm just experimenting so far but it does sound very good .
As far as re-ripping is concerned , yes it is a pain but as I said in my earlier post look out for the problem with iTunes album art and Squeezecenter . I don't know if you use a Mac or not but I find the program Max is very good instead of iTunes .

Ed
quote:
Originally posted by james n:
Yep - that's what pissed me off in the end with the duet was the artwork, re scanning the library etc. Once Apple released the remote app for the Touch/iphone it was bye bye duet. Shame as its a nice unit and with a decent NAS its nice to be able to turn off the computer.

James

James ,
I'm hoping to find a solution and the guy behind Max has sent me details of a command line tool for Macs that may help . Fingers crossed !

Ed
Hi Ed,

Yes, I'm on a Mac, (I like an easy life!), so I'll chase up Max.

Beresford + Toslink ordered, so that should be that then!

Thanks for the advice,

Regards,

Dave. Smile