DVD5 - Playing DVD-A's

Posted by: HiDefBob on 18 July 2005

My DVD5 came with the multichannel (DVD-A) card installed.

Today I finally was able to hook up the multichannel from DIN Audio Out 1 & DIN Audio Out 2 to my Denon External Multichannel Jacks.

I am using "Chord" DIN to RCA cables. One has 2 RCA connections for Centre and Sub (DIN 2 on the DVD5) the other has 4 RCA connections for Front Left & Right and Surround Left & Right (DIN 1 on the DVD5).

I am playing The Eagles: Hotel California DVD-A
I selected Mulitchannel Playlist.

However, I am only getting front right, front left and Subwoofer - nothing from the centre channel or the surrounds. The light on my Denon indicates the surrounds are active.

Anyone know what I have done wrong?
Posted on: 18 July 2005 by David Dever
You need to go into SETUP : audio : speaker setup to specify which speakers (and, therefore, discrete audio channels) are active.

Remember that your AV processor cannot tell the DVD5 how to downmix the DVD-A streams.
Posted on: 18 July 2005 by HiDefBob
quote:
Originally posted by David Dever:
You need to go into SETUP : audio : speaker setup to specify which speakers (and, therefore, discrete audio channels) are active.

Remember that your AV processor cannot tell the DVD5 how to downmix the DVD-A streams.

Thanks!

Actually it is not under the Audio Setup menu ... that is just for Digital Audio. It is under Speaker Setup/Speaker Size. Centre channel were both set to none. I selected "small" for both and immediately got sound ... sweet sound!

The sound quality is awesome! I see you people like DVD-A so much. Not only is it multi-channel but the sound quality is noticeably better than regular CD's ... at least on Hotel California. Reviews indicate that the sound quality varies. I am going to be checking out more DVD-A's.

I have some lists of recommended DVD-A's ... does any one have any suggestions of their own.

And I can expect an improvement in sound when I get the proper cables ... the Chord cables I have are too short so I had to extend them with some cheap cables that I had. The longer Chord cables are coming from England so I was told to expect 6 weeks ... and I did not want to wait that long so my dealer loaned me the short Chord cables to use with the extenders.

I continue to be blown away by the DVD5. What an outstanding unit. Expensive - yes, but it is worth every penny. I would highly recommend the DVD5 to anyone who wants quality picture and sound!

Thanks again!
Posted on: 19 July 2005 by niceguy235uk
quote:
Originally posted by HiDefBob:
I continue to be blown away by the DVD5. What an outstanding unit. Expensive - yes, but it is worth every penny. I would highly recommend the DVD5 to anyone who wants quality picture and sound!

Thanks again!

i will remind you of that when it has been back to naim a few times like most peoples here Big Grin
Posted on: 20 July 2005 by Ancipital
I have to put my hand up here and state that my DVD5 has never been back to Naim Big Grin

I have had my own issues though as stated in other threads.

Discovered a way round the occasional "no picture" syndrome - rather than power cycling the DVP, ejecting the disc and reinserting it will resolve this.

Another one is the disc eject OPEN stays flashing but the disc never comes out. If you press play then eject, the player will eject the disc, reload it and go into standby. You can then take it out of standby and eject the disc.

Apart from the occasional gripes and a minor little thing going on with the Naim video cable pricing inconsistency, it's been working rather well.

Steve.
Posted on: 23 July 2005 by niceguy235uk
Steve,

i appreciate what you are saying about the eject situation etc, but really that just isnt good enough. This player is probably more than most peoples monthly wage (not that that is an issue), and so, yes, i would expect a player of this price and of course quality to work first time, every time.

I do have the occasional issue with eject but not very often.

Sorry to rant on but i feel we are not getting a product that has been properly tested (ie firmware).

Im sure this of course is down to demand for it, as it is extremely good when its running ok. i cant fault the picture quality and sound.

Regards
Jason