Naim 7.1 AV System

Posted by: niceguy235uk on 06 April 2005

Hi.
Looking to upgrade my current av setup with name but im a little confused as to what i need.

im aware of the NAPV175 for three channel and NAP 150 for the back surround but what preamp/amp do i use for the fronts? do i use the av2 or the nait5i?
Posted on: 06 April 2005 by Geoff P
Err...The default setup assumed for the NAIM AV2 is 5.1 as far as I know, not 7.1.
The AV2 processes and ouputs 5.1 channels. The 5 channels can be amplified using a normal stereo amp such as the 150 for the fronts, and a V175 for the center and two surround channels.
Obviously the .1 goes to an active sub-woofer.

I don't know if the AV2 as it stands now can decode and output 7.1 channels. If it can you would need another stereo power amp for the surround back channels.

regards
GEOFF
Posted on: 06 April 2005 by niceguy235uk
hi geoff

Many thanks for your reply.

i understand what you are saying but in the av2 'info' it says for dts a further nap 150 will be required (making 7.1 i assume?)

excuse my ignorance on this matter but im currently running an arcam avr300 in 7.1 and the naim products are reasonably new to me.
Posted on: 06 April 2005 by Geoff P
Well in that case the AV2 must be able to output 7.1 channels. It's not your ignornace it's mine.
Cool
Posted on: 06 April 2005 by Nick Riley
The AV2 can be used as a pre-amp and has outputs for: Left/Right, Centre, Surrounds AND Rear Surrounds should you wish to take up the 6.1/7.1 option. The cheapest way to have an all Naim AV set-up would be AV2 + 150 for Left/right + 175 for Centre and Surounds. You could then add another 150 for rear surrounds if desired. The latest pre-amps have a unity gain input enabling the AV2 to be integrated into a Stereo system and to override the pre-amp to take control of the Left and Right channels.

As is stands there is no 7.1 DVD material out there, and little 6.1 material around. To add to that the only encoding option that truly carries 7 channels (if you include the sub) is DTS-ES. DD5.1 EX and DTS ES-MATRIX extract a 'matrixed' sixth channel from the two main surround channels.
Posted on: 07 April 2005 by Jason Milner
Hi

According to the Product Information section for the AV2 on the main web-site:
quote:
[Please note that for DTS use a further NAP150 will be required.]

quote:
# VIPS: Versatile Input Switching means that inputs 1 and 2 can be used as multichannel inputs for use with systems such as SACD or DVDA or as additional analogue inputs via Naim’s common ground DIN socketry.
# The AV2 is fully compatible with Dolby Digital Decoding, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro-Logic II, DTS, DTS-ES and DTS NEO6.
# 7.1 multi-channel input: VIP- to connect an additional external 7.1 channel decoder, DVDA,SACD or further future formats. Or Input Stereo Pre-amp Mode so that the AV2 can be used in a stand-alone stereo system as well as an AV decoder.

Which I take as meaning it only does 5.1 itself, but you can take it up to 7.1 using an external 7.1 decoder, connected via their "VIP" inputs.

I'm struggling to understand how this would synch in with a Naim 5.1 plus "A.N.Other" 2.0 system though - wouldn't all 7.1 have to be decoded externally?

J
Posted on: 07 April 2005 by Jason Milner
Nick, re your comment on the scarcity of 6.1 - you're not wrong. I just checked out the DTS website Search Engine for UK Region 2 releases, & they have six of them:
  • Blade 2
  • The Evil Dead
  • Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Cut
  • Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers: Extended Cut
  • Rush Hour 2
  • Se7en

Mind you, this may be out of date, as the extended LOTR ROTK also has ES. Still only seven titles tho... Frown

Still, don't most 7.1 amps do their own matrixing on 5.1 sources? I've got a Denon AVR3802, which has that option - I guess it's basically a variant on Pro-Logic, but should give a more even surround sound "envelope" (I say should as I've yet to try mine out, "only" having the 5.1 speakers)

J
Posted on: 08 April 2005 by Nick Riley
Jason -

Yep - All the LOTR extended versons are in DTS-ES. Few more than the 6 releases over here but not a lot! I used to have rear surrounds powered by a 150. I am now back to 5.1, albeit with superior speakers and amplification all round. I think in a big room 6.1/7.1 is probably worthwhile, in a smaller room if you have a balanced system I'm not so sure.

Dolby Pro-Logic 2x has been out for a while providing 'matrix' seven channel surround. I'm sure that Naim will implement it in future versions of the AV2 or an AV3.

As far as using the VIP inputs for SACD and DVD-A I have no experience and therefore can't comment. I only use my DVD5/AV2 for movies and TV, prefer my music two channel only!

Nick.
Posted on: 09 April 2005 by Two-Sheds
quote:
Which I take as meaning it only does 5.1 itself, but you can take it up to 7.1 using an external 7.1 decoder, connected via their "VIP" inputs.

DTS-ES is 6.1 (as is DD-EX I think, although the extra channel is mashed into the exisiting rear 2 channels). I think the star wars films on dvd ( the new and original ones) have DD-EX on them.
Posted on: 11 April 2005 by Geoff P
You can also buy DTS music disks with no video content which will play in any CD player with a digital out which can pass the encoded signal to the AV2. In amongst these (which are incidentally quite good IMO) there are a very few which are encoded in DTS-ES with a discrete rear surround channel as opposed to a matrixed signal. I have one by Sheryl Crow.

7.1 is really just "overkill" 6.1 with two rear surrounds instead of one to "spread" the sound so it is less localized.

regards
GEOFF
Posted on: 13 April 2005 by Frank Abela
Jason,

The VIPS option is really there for multichannel high res input such as DVD-A and SACD. Until recently, DVD-A and SACD were not allowed to be transmitted between components in the digital domain in order to avoid piracy. In other words, if you had a DVD-A player, you couldn't get the full DVD-A resolution from its digital output.

Recently, certain connections were passed to allow digital transmission between components. Denon's iLink is one of the few implementations that allows full data rate digital transmission for DVD-A (but not SACD I believe).

VIPS is unique to Naim. Other makes also have multichannel inputs, but usually don't have the reconfigurable socketry meaning the sockets on the back of the processor are very often wasted if you don't need or want high res analogue connections. On the oftentimes large back panel of the typical processor, this isn't an issue, but on the much smaller back panel of the AV2, it's very nice to have this reconfiguration facility!

Ordinary 7.1 surround off of a DVD is DTS-ES, Dolby Digital EX and is transmitted to the processor via the digital output at full data rate. It can also be sent through the 7.1 outputs of the DVD player, in which case you could use the multichannel input (or VIPS in the case of the AV2). Which you choose to use is down to whether you think the D/A conversion is better in the player or the processor. Typically, it's more usual to use the digital out of the player and let the processor handle the sound processing, and certainly in the case of a DVD5/AV2 combination.

I'm not sure if all this makes sense - I certainly hope it does!

Geoff,

7.1 benefits over 6.1 in one respect. Most people do not have an ear located in the back of their heads so having a pair of back speakers tends to give a more central image at the back. Also, in the situation where two or more people are watching/listening, more of the audience is likely to appreciate the back/centre effect since the rears are better positioned for this typically.