HDX - How to rip LPs

Posted by: Davidmanne on 26 July 2008

The HDX makes an enormous difference in contolling the the library of CD's. However, what about a similar library of LP's.
How do I rip (or whatever) the LP's to the HDX?

David
Posted on: 26 July 2008 by Patrick F
you will need

ADC Analog to digital converter

Computer.

HDX
Posted on: 26 July 2008 by David Dever
and

Turntable

Cartridge

Phono preamp
Posted on: 26 July 2008 by David Dever
as well as

Scanner

or

Amazon.com image of album cover
Posted on: 26 July 2008 by Exiled Highlander
and a

lot of

patience to

split tracks up

tag them etc.

Have fun.

Jim
Posted on: 26 July 2008 by pcstockton
plus some software

I recommend

finding someone who knows

how to do it

they can show you

the ropes

transfer to 24/96

they sound great when done well
Posted on: 27 July 2008 by rupert bear
This hifi business is so much more

user friendly

than it

was
Posted on: 27 July 2008 by Davidmanne
Thanks for all this.

Seems like it is not going to be a simple process.

Probably easier to buy from itunes - where available.

However I do have a few records that are unique.

So a further bit of advice please.
Any brand names for the ADC and the software.

I've read about a cheap (i.e. less than A$ 150) turntable with a USB port. Just don't think it will be any good.

Many thanks

David
Posted on: 27 July 2008 by u77033103172058601
If you are prepared to buy low resolution iTunes copies then getting a wind-up 78 player and outting a microphone on front of the trumpet should more than meet your requirements.

Get the best quality record deck you can afford; a Rega 3 as an absolute minimum. If your records are unique then getting a record deck could just open your ears to the quality you can achieve with LPs.
Posted on: 27 July 2008 by Davidmanne
Nick

I didn't realise that itunes was so bad.

All I've ever done with itunes is to listen to exerts from their shop via computer headphones and use those to decide on which CD to get.

Thanks for putting it all into perspective.

David
Posted on: 27 July 2008 by Exiled Highlander
David
quote:
I didn't realise that itunes was so bad.
It all depends on ones definition of "bad" or "unistenable".

The stuff that is sold on the iTunes store is mostly at 128K with some available at 256K. When played through an MP3 player of some sort (iPod or whatever) using regular earbuds or standard earphones they will sound OK.

However, if your expectation is that it is going to rival a good quality LP or CD through a good system then you will find that they don't sound that great. Bear in mind that the iTunes store, like all other mass market download stores are just that - they are designed for the mass market and not for a specialized sub group like Hi-Fi nuts.

LP's ripped to 24/96 sound amazingly good when ripped this way but it's a lot of work to get them all ripped.

I just take the line level out of my pre-amp into my laptop and use Audacity to edit. It's not the most intuitive piece of software though.

Cheers

Jim
Posted on: 27 July 2008 by Patrick F
High quality Studio grade. 2 channel ADC's can cost upwards of 3k. up to 24 bit 192 sample res.
Posted on: 27 July 2008 by Mr Underhill
There are a number of digital recorders you can buy.

I use an M-Audio jobby that records to compact flash. I connect it to my pre-amp as I would a tape recorder.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrackII-main.html

M
Posted on: 27 July 2008 by ferenc
Try Korg MR-1000 portable disk recorder. Internal 40 GB hard drive, sampling up to 192k/24 bit and DSD and 2x DSD (5.6 MHz). Joy to use, like a good old tape recorder. USB2 connection to your PC/Mac. Software to convert DSD amd 2x DSD to PCM. Very good quality. I like Mytek Digital 96kADC a bit better, but for a very similar price it is just an ADC, not a complete recording system. My favourite ADC however the Altmann Creation ADC, powered from a spiral cell car battery. Extremely good sound, really nice. Not cheap however.
Posted on: 28 July 2008 by Mr Underhill
quote:
Korg MR-1000

ferenc,

Have you tried the Korg MR1?

M
Posted on: 28 July 2008 by Cjones
quote:
Originally posted by Davidmanne:
Nick

I didn't realize that itunes was so bad.

David

Big Grin Red Face Winker
Posted on: 29 July 2008 by Jono 13
**Rumour Alert**

At a recent Naim Summer Sounds Roadshow one of the Naim chaps suggested that this is a future direction under development at the moment, to enable the ripping of vinyl straight to the HDX.

**Message Ends**

Hope so.

Jono
Posted on: 30 July 2008 by ferenc
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Underhill:
quote:
Korg MR-1000

ferenc,

Have you tried the Korg MR1?

M

I have one, but not really tried it.
Posted on: 21 August 2008 by DeltaSigma
quote:

I haven't any experience with the Lavry AD10 but based on my experience to date with their DA10 (Digital to Analog converter) it might be worth considering, as they certainly appear to know a lot about this technology.

Michael
Posted on: 21 August 2008 by gary1 (US)
quote:
Thanks for all this.

Seems like it is not going to be a simple process.

Probably easier to buy from itunes - where available.

However I do have a few records that are unique.

I've read about a cheap (i.e. less than A$ 150) turntable with a USB port. Just don't think it will be any good.

Many thanks

David

If you are going to do this it pays to have very good equipment and spend more since well ripprd vinyl at 24/96 played back is really terrific. The stageline makes a huge difference in both vinyl play and vinyl replay after ripping. Don't do it on the cheap.