putting downloads on the hdx

Posted by: michael1702 on 10 December 2008

as deutsche grammophon started to offer flac downloads too i wonder if the next hdx software update includes the possibility to import downloaded files onto the harddisk.
Posted on: 10 December 2008 by gary1 (US)
quote:
Originally posted by michael1702:
as deutsche grammophon started to offer flac downloads too i wonder if the next hdx software update includes the possibility to import downloaded files onto the harddisk.

Don't know if they are going to allow that since there is the potential for data corruption, viruses. We will see.

You certainly can download to a computer/NAS and stream to the HDX or load onto a USB stick.

Interesting given comments on another thread about DGG last week. This appear to be new as I only saw mp3 files available.

Let's hope they start to offer 24 bit.
Posted on: 10 December 2008 by David Dever
Short answer-you can't put ANYTHING on the HDX.

Less contentious answer-the server manages its own internal, secure storage. This applies to software updates on CD-R as much as it does Compact Discs, inserted into the disc tray.

The device, however, will scan network shares or USB media-so there's no need to copy anything onto the server in the first place. Copy your FLACs to network-attached storage and the HDX will find them.
Posted on: 10 December 2008 by michael1702
quote:
Originally posted by gary1 (US):
Interesting given comments on another thread about DGG last week. This appear to be new as I only saw mp3 files available.

just select "download flac lossless" in the upper left menu (4th drop down) and hit search. you´ll get 50 albums. or click here.
Posted on: 10 December 2008 by michael1702
quote:
Originally posted by David Dever:
Less contentious answer-the server manages its own internal, secure storage.

that´s why it should be able to import a supported music file from i.e. an usb stick. i don´t see any reason for not supporting this.
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by David Dever
One other thing-by virtue of limiting the internal storage to 16-bit / 44.1kHz WAV files, every bit of music on the servers can be streamed over NaimNet / DigiLinX networks.
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by David Dever
quote:
Originally posted by michael1702:
quote:
Originally posted by David Dever:
Less contentious answer-the server manages its own internal, secure storage.

that´s why it should be able to import a supported music file from i.e. an usb stick. i don´t see any reason for not supporting this.

Then it wouldn't be "secure" storage.

Given the paucity of high-res downloads relative to Red Book CDs, I don't see this as a significant limitation, especially when you look at the overall market for music servers or streaming devices.
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by Allan Probin
David,

Sorry for the off-topic post but while you're here .... did you come to any conclusions over the influence the optical drive has on the sound quality of a CD rip? I think last time we discussed this you thought it did but then discovered a problem with the rips you were comparing that might have been influencing the result.

As I said I would, I've now managed to assemble a few drives here to compare. I've got my usual Pioneer DVD drive that I normally use for CD ripping, a Plextor CD-ROM drive (PX-54TA) based on your recomendation and a Plextor DVD Rewriter (PX-712A) based on a recommendation from someone on the Lejonklou forum who thought it was the best of the three drives he tried. Not had chance yet to do any testing but maybe over the next few weeks I'll run a few tracks off on each drive and compare the results.

Allan
Posted on: 14 December 2008 by David Dever
Not lately–I've been using an NS01 with the original drive mechanism to rip many of my discs prior to moving house.

I also recently compared the CD rips from a competing server with an HDX, and those present agreed that poor ripping quality was a limiting factor in performance with respect to the other server.
Posted on: 14 December 2008 by Allan Probin
Interesting, I wouldn't mind getting hold of a rip made on the HDX and comparing it to what I can produce here. I'll let you know how I get on with my optical drive comparisons.

Allan
Posted on: 14 December 2008 by PeterZ
quote:
Originally posted by Allan Probin:
Interesting, I wouldn't mind getting hold of a rip made on the HDX and comparing it to what I can produce here.

Allan, that is an interesting suggestion.

How do you plan to get a HDX rip -- from a dealer? Or do you think that might be hard to arrange (or maybe they won't do it)? If not a dealer then from where?

I would be insterested in taking a CD to a place that has an HDX along with my own rip of the CD on a USB drive. Then rip the CD using the HDX, copy it to the same location my rip would be copied to and then palying both from that common location to see what if any difference can be perceived.

Has anyone done this?

Not sure if Naim dealers would do this? Perhaps it is not an endorsed paratice by Naim for their dealers to get involved in?

Any of the Naim people have any comments?
Big Grin
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by gary1 (US)
PeterZ,

The HDX will rip your CD to it's local drive and can be accessed here for playback.

Your ripped CD on the USB Thumb drive will be put into the front panel USB port and accessed via the HDX on the USB drive (Browse music-->music location-->USB drive). It will not be "ripped" to the HDX. Only a CD placed into the front tray will be ripped and copied to the HDD on the HDX if set up to do so. Either way the HDX is "playing the music"

I can't see why a Naim dealer would not allow this. Your doing a comparison, it's the same a bringing your own Cds to a demo to listen. We've done all of the different permutations at my dealer. They were curious as to the reults
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by Gary S.
Presumably, in order to obtain HDX ripped files, it would be a simple case of dragging the files from the location on the network into another location and then copying onto a memory stick or CDR.

I for one would be really interested in hearing such files on my DS to see how they sound against files ripped using DBPoweramp or EAC.

Anyone with an HDX want to volunteer?

Gary
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by gary1 (US)
I haven't done this, but this is what JS describes doing. Sounds right.
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by Allan Probin
quote:
Originally posted by PeterZ:
How do you plan to get a HDX rip -- from a dealer?

Perhaps a HDX owner would like to provide a rip as a demo? We'd have to chose a track that we could rip ourselves to compare it with and we'd need to avoid regional variations, eg UK pressing vs USA pressing. How about something off "Naim The Sampler 2"?

Providing everyone involved owned a copy of the CD I can't see there being a problem. I'd be happy to rip a track using my preferred setup, host it on my NAS and provide the URL to somebody else taking part, who in turn could host their rip that I could access. Could be a fun thing to do over the Christmas holidays.

Anybody else up for it? Gary1, Dave D?

Allan
Posted on: 16 December 2008 by Allan Probin
quote:
Originally posted by Allan Probin:
Anybody else up for it? Gary1, Dave D?

I guess that's a no then? Which is a bit of a shame as I would have genuinely liked to have done this.
Posted on: 16 December 2008 by Allan Probin
Hi munch - you have mail!
Posted on: 17 December 2008 by David Dever
quote:
I guess that's a no then? Which is a bit of a shame as I would have genuinely liked to have done this.

Too busy right now–moving house.