ken starts buying records, again...

Posted by: ken c on 02 April 2001

hi folks,

my system stopped making music on thursday night, 22 march. i will detail why in another thread some other time, but the good news is that, as of this last saturday, thanks to naim, i have music in my home again. i can say, without exaggeration, that this past week has been the most depressing in my life -- i simply did not realise just how important my naim system is for music in mt life. i mean this.

i always know that my system is OK when i start buying records again -- and today i went on a record buying spree, with vengeance! luckily, i managed to collect some real gems -- i am playing one of them as i type this message - and so far the success rate is 100% -- i.e. every track on each of the 4 that i have played so far sound frighteningly good.

for the first one -- i guess you have to like zimbabwean music to appreciate fully -- but for what its worth, its "svovi yangu" by oliver mtukudzi.

then herbie mann's "memphis underground" -- now why didnt you guys tell me about this album before?? hmmm.... a definite "must buy" as far as i am concerned.

then there is this ghanaian highlife compilation -"highlife all stars" on the network label. if you like this sort of music -- this cd will take you straight to ghana...

i had been looking for Purcell's "Yorkshire Feast Song" on hyperion for quite some time -- thank god i found it today. its the one playing now, and its forced me to write this posting. all i can say is that there are some angels in my room now.

i have a lot more to play so long night ahead -- i have some programs to write -- but its going to be an enjoyable night with such good music in my office ...

i will let you know about the other gems later. meantime...

enjoy...

ken

Posted on: 03 April 2001 by Phil Barry
In the new Listener (May-June), there is an article (by Herb Reichert, I believe) which states that market research some time ago indicated that music was one of the top 2 or 3 desires of men, and not in the top ten for women. The results were valid internationally.

BTW, sorry the system went offline, glad for you it's back.

[This message was edited by Phil Barry on TUESDAY 03 April 2001 at 18:35.]

Posted on: 03 April 2001 by ken c
phil, many thanks. interesting article - will definitely try to get it tomorrow. judging by my state of mind over the past 10 days, i would tend to agree with their research -- i feel sorry for my wife -- my temper had deteriorated to almost breaking point -- a bit dangerous as i am hypertensive. i wonder if people with other hobbies (say photography) feel as strongly if their camera breaks down (say) for whatever reason...

enjoy...

ken

quite a few weeks ago, bought latest noland, sirota and fred simon's dreamhouse. i havent played them yet -- i decided i would play them when my active system is up and running -- any day now -- so will let you guys know. judging from what you guys have been saying -- this is going to be some record playing session...

enjoy...

ken

as i mentioned yesterday, i have been going through the records i bought yesterday in a moment of madness, which has actually proved to be quite gainful musically.

don cherry's "art deco". i am sure someone must have mentioned this album in their recommendations and i probably just missed it. wow! what a fantastic album! the line up included our charlie haden, whose solo on "folk medley" shows how accurate the bass is on the sbl's. as it happens, i also bought "this is our music" by ornette coleman quartet and also "old and new dreams". i have only sampled these, but i already know have a feast of music waiting for me to play properly in my next record playing session.

i would be interested to hear people with "art deco" who also have nbl's or dbl's -- it must sound absolutely awesome through these spkrs.
if you are into this kind of jazz, i command you - go and buy "art deco" -- and prepare to enjoy it, thoroughly.

enjoy...

ken

Posted on: 08 April 2001 by ken c
hockman, many thanks. i have quite a few naim cd's and i enjoy them too.

"Try also Haden/Hawes, As Long As There's Music and Haden/Coleman, SoapSuds, Soapsuds."

thanks for the suggestion. i have "soapsuds" -- love it. but i havent got haden/hawes - will pick this up next time i am in hmv. any views on eric dolphy?? kenny wheeler??

500/DBL's ... wow!!!

enjoy...

ken

Posted on: 08 April 2001 by John C
Ken, as Eric Dolphy is one of my favourite musicians I'll butt in here, hope you don't mind.I rate him as one of the most brilliant, inovative and unique jazz musicians ever. He tragically died in his early 30s with diabetic ketoacidosis. He was an astonishing multi-reedist and probably the greatest bass clarinet player who ever lived. His most famous album "Out to Lunch" is a near masterpiece and simply is one of the greatest jazz records of all time. It features more free jazz influenced music but to my ears is a homage to and development of Thelonius Monks work. Of his sadly too few leader dates I love "Live at the 5 Spot Vols 1,2, Memorial Album all documenting his stellar band with the brilliant Booker Little, Richard Davis, Ed Blackwell and Mal Waldron, also the excellent Far Cry again with Little.There are several others which are well worth getting The Illinois Concert is one but probably initially best to get some of the sidemen apperances on several other great records.Eventually if you like Dolphy you'll want to get everything he appeared on.
I would unreservedly recommend Blues and the Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson, Point Of Departure Andrew Hill and any of his Mingus band appearances but if I had to choose one Live at Antibes.

John
I saw Kenny Wheeler live with Dave Holland a few weeks ago, very fine trumpeter but I dont have any of his records.I'm sure Hock's encyclopaedic jazz knowledge will help here.

Posted on: 08 April 2001 by ken c
hi john c., oh man! "out to lunch" is something else isnt it. i love "hat and beard" and my daughter likes "gazzelloni". i am sure i have "Blues and the Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson" somewhere - havent played it for a while. i have one or 2 kenny wheelers but wouldnt mind any further recommendations from you very knowledgeable guys...

john, you were not butting in at all -- found your reply quite interesting...

enjoy...

ken

[This message was edited by ken c on SUNDAY 08 April 2001 at 23:24.]