I want the body of a Greek God

Posted by: Mick P on 05 June 2002

Chaps

I am 53 yrs of age, now weigh 14 stone, my waistline is 38" and I am only 5ft 9". I want to become slim again.

I have a rather good lifestyle in the sense that I do indulge in numerous lunchs and dinners because of business and social requirements. Also Mrs Mick is a very competent cook and generally we eat well.

Today for instance business lunch consisted of soup, steak and kidney pudding with a selection of veg, pineapple upside down sponge with custard. This was washed down with a bottle of red wine and a pot of tea.

Mrs Mick usually does a pasta dish on Wednesday evenings followed by cheese and biscuits. We will probably drink half a bottle of wine between us and then I will have a large glass of whiskey at about 9.00.

We eat out every Satuday and also some Sundays

This may sound indulgent but it is typical.

I do not take any exercise and as such my waistline is inching up.

What is the best way of slimming down, I can modify the lunches and dinners by eating more healthy etc, but am I better off going to a gym or buying a bicycle or what.

I need to lose a lot of weight, say two and a half stone, Mrs Mick who also eats a lot, is still relatively slim, needs only to loose 7 lbs.

We are soon embarking on a quick 7 day holiday in Rhodes and on my return want to start the fitness campaign.

Any advice would be most welcome on how to regain my figure.

Regards

Mick
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Steve Catterall
you need to exercise more and eat less ... which basically means a change in lifestyle.

The only way to succeed is to choose a new lifestyle that you enjoy and can keep up.

There is no 'best' exercise. You need to find something that you're happy to do on a regular basis, and that you actually enjoy doing ... because, if you want to stay healthy, you'll have to keep it up for ever
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Mick P
Steve

Quote.... because, if you want to stay healthy, you'll have to keep it up for ever.

Thats asking a lot from a 53 year old.

Regards

Mick
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Uwe Supper
Hi Mick,
any sport that appeals to you? I'd recommend jogging, cycling or swimming, but on a regular basis and only if it provides some pleasure! Personally I hate swimming and I enjoy jogging much less, hence I go cycling a lot. I try to combine several hobbies, this is why I go cycling in wine regions (next week-end in the M
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Uwe Supper
...otherwise skip the sauces and the cakes, reduce sugar. Hope this helps a bit,
good luck,
Uwe
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Alex S.
Go to Rhodes and drink 4 bottles of Ouzo per day. Come back and follow the Vuk diet [sick] for 2 weeks. Then eat nothing for a year whilst waiting for the flatulence to subside. You may then drink a very small malt at 9.00 every evening with a dash of spring water. You must do all this whilst running round in small circles. Do not sleep but spend all night doing sit-ups, unless you can pursuade Mrs Mick to do something else with you.

Good luck!

Alex
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Paul Ranson
Eat fewer puddings.

When you're in Rhodes do some walking, sailing or swimming. Anything that is relatively gentle but constant exercise. Do it every day. Don't eat lunch or cooked breakfast.

When you come back you'll be healthier than when you left. Keep up the good work, buy new trousers.

Paul
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by herm
I'd lend you mine, but I need it myself

Hi Mick,

things like excercises, jogging and running are dreadfully boring. However, you could try to drive a little less and walk a little more.

You know, you're still heading somewhere, that makes it a little less silly. People who jog have a problem. People who walk have a destination.

In the US I used to drive (natch) and it took only a couple of years and I was gaining weight.

Less cookies, cakes and cheese wouldn't hurt either, and also, I really think the two of you are way too stingy on the wine. What's wrong with you? Can't finish a bottle between the two of you?

BTW, you're so lucky to have a wife who can enjoy her food without any visible consequences. These none-eating women are so... unappetizing.

Herman
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by max in hampshire
Hi Mick

I was considerably younger than you are when I had a massive heart attack. I was one of the unfortunate ones in that in no way was it life style induced ie never smoked, not over weight, took plenty of exercise, ate healthily.

Even though nothing in my life style caused my heart attack I have subsequently focussed on every factor that could have a relevance in the future - including weight. This is not meant unkindly but, if I may say so, you do appear to be running the risk of heading for a problem with your health let alone your figure.

For starters I would suggest that you decide here and now to cut out all desserts - no exceptions allowed. It will be hard at first but eventually you will find that you don't really miss them. Certainly cut out cheese and biscuits - the same applies. That way you can enjoy your main course to the full and just go without the frills. Two to three glasses of red wine a day is good for you (I always drink this amount as it is good for the heart) more alcohol is definitely not. If you really want to bring your weight crashing down cutting out all alcohol for about six to eight weeks should have a dramatic effect and you can then go back to it at a more appropriate level.

As for exercise - forget the gym. It is mind blowingly boring. The only people who keep on going are those looking for company. I know it is often said but just normal walking for half an hour three times a week is all you probably need. Cycling is even more effective. My wife and I bought new bikes after my heart attack and it showed that cycling is vey good for the cardio vascular system. I can rarely get out of breath walking as I am very fit but cycling in a higher gear soon has that effect.

I have a wonderful life and an even more wonderful wife. Whenever I am tempted by desserts or cheeses I ask myself do I really want a portion of this or would I rather increase my chances of more of life and more time with my wife. It never fails to work. Similarly when I am reluctant to find the time for exercise I force myself to get my priorites right.

Having said all of the above I would just add that on high days and holidays I blow it all and have whatever I want as I feel I can justify it.

I am sure there are others on the Forum far better qualified to advise you but I hope my suggestions are some help.

But I would never try to kid you that it's easy.

Cheers
Max
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by John Sheridan
If you just want to lose weight there is only one sure fire solution - start exercising more and keep at it.

If you want to be 'healthy' then that's a whole different problem and will vary on which 'expert' you ask, wind direction, air temperature, alignment of the planets and so on.
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Alex S.
quote:
but don't go overboard
unless the Rhodes ferry starts to sink.

Alex
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Thomas K
Max' advice about giving up desserts sounds good. A biologist friend of mine once told me that sugar is much, much worse than fat.

I've started running to keep fit, but it can be terribly boring, especially in the 15 minutes before you get into the right breathing rhythm (from then on you stop suffering and start thinking about other things).

However, if you get one of those stationary bikes you could have it in a room with a telly on and exercise while watching the news (or MTV?). Yuri "Spoonman" Geller writes emails while exercising in this manner.

In any case, you really need to be disciplined to get anywhere.

Thomas
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Thomas K
After the first 15 minutes I only continue for another 15. I'm 34, but apart from that it sounds as if we had a similar starting point. When I started running two years ago, all I could manage was a couple of minutes, but give it a try - you build up very quickly (and I hadn't done any sports in a decade!).

Thomas
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by John Sheridan
To all those advising Mick to give up foods that he likes: have you considered the possible negative effects the stress of worrying about what you eat may have?
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Keith Mattox
Max had it the best, but it comes down to more exercise and less food. Unfornately, alcohol is one of the worst candidates for weight gain.

I don't know how much spare time that you have for working out, but a walk every evening for about a mile or so won't necesarily cause great weight loss, but it does wonders for the heart and might just give you a bum that will catch (more of) Mrs. Parry's eye.

Food? I lost 40 lbs in less than half a year on the Atkins diet (ducking for the flames), but it doesn't work for everyone.

If you want to continue to drink, keep it to low sugar alcohol, such as whiskey or red wine. But I recommend finding a way to reduce your total intake by half.

Any decent procedure to lose weight and keep it off wil require a lifestyle change, particularly the amount of food and drink that you enjoy. But it's counterbalanced by the much healthier feeling that you will enjoy.

Congratulations to Mrs. Parry for keeping her youthful figure by the way.

Did you ever get the push bike that you ruminated about some months ago?

Cheers

Keith.
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Mick P

"Did you ever get the push bike that you ruminated about some months ago?"

No

Mick
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Greg Beatty
...is to integrate the exercise into my daily routine.

So I bike to and from the Metro (subway) most every day. It takes 10-15 min each way - about 4-5 miles round trip.

Any way you could do something like this?

I find exercise for exercise's sake boring and difficult to stay with unless there are other benefits. I was into running and it worked because there was a sizable social circle that I became part of. When I moved and running had to be solitary, I quickly stopped with it.

- GregB
Inching up on 40
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Tony Lockhart
Eat more and walk a bit!
However, by 'eat more' I mean eat loads of fruit and raw veg. If you are particularly fond of certain fruits and/or vegetables, eat a lot of them. It can cost a few quid, but the benefits are 2-fold. Firstly and most obviously, raw fruit and veg are very good for you. Secondly if you are full on these, you won't feel like eating the fattening stuff to such a degree. Within a month you'll feel better, look better and the pounds start to shed themselves. Combined with a couple of hours walking a week you'll never look back.

Even at my age of 38 I'm reluctant to start any punishing exercises...my joints are knackered after standing at so many bars!
If you want anymore info, check out the Raw Energy books by Leslie Kenton.
Oh, by the way, one great benefit of the raw energy diet is that it is upto you how much you stick to it.....no hard and fast rules, so you can still eat out at the weekends!
Tony
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Andrew Randle
Mick,

This is the second time you've asked this question on this forum. I also have the feeling that this is only a "what if?" kind of question and that you don't have enough commitment behind your intention. I say that because commitment is what you need in this "game".

Commitment, commitment, commitment, COMMITMENT (have I stressed it enough?).

Let me tell you some basic facts on progress.

1) Your body shape and body mass index (the percentage of fat in your body) does not start changing overnight. It takes about 3 months before your body starts to respond to its new lifestyle.
2) It takes 9 months for any improvement to be really noticable.
3) It takes a year for the effects to definitely show.
4) At 53 it is still possible to improve your shape and health drastically.... just takes commitment (that 'c' word).

Here's the motivator... in your lifetime have you ever been the shape you want? If not, then treat this as an experiment to see how far you can go towards your ideal objective - I reckon you can get very far if you put your mind to it and TREAT IT AS A HOBBY.

Here's the thing... people's body shapes are generally a running average of what they've done over the past 3 months (except from the start of a program). This means that if you keep 100% commited 6 days a week, you can afford to take Mrs Parry on a slap-up meal during the 7th day (whenever that is). Again this takes *commitment* over the initial 6 days, treat the 7th day as your reward. Your body takes a running average, so providing you don't add additional "reward days" wink you should be fine.

Diet.
Sugar is the biggest flab-factor.... far bigger than fat. Sugar gets converted into fat far easier than fat. Sugar is technically termed "Simple Carbohydrates" - they are smaller molecules than starchy "Complex Carbohydrates" and therefore easier to break down and absorb into the blood. Simple carbohydrates include the refined stuff (white sugar, brown sugar, added sugar) and unrefined stuff (fruit, honey etc). So skipping puddings will make a massive difference.

Fruit, when taken in moderation is good for you - it contains many essential vitamins and minerals. Refined sugar MUST BE AVOIDED at all costs (except on your reward day wink when pudding is allowed).

Complex Carbohydrates are OK, these include cereals, rice, potatoes, bread (anything starchy). They are good to eat, although AVOID EATING THEM AT NIGHT (after 8pm).

So throughout the day a combination of protein (meat) and complex carbs are great, along with a healthy smattering of green vegetables (which can take more calories to digest than what's in them) which will provide a good base of vitamins and minerals.

Water is essential - I mean mineral or tap water. Ideally one should drink 8 glasses of the stuff over the course of a day. It also helps to speed up the metabolism and prevent the recruitment of fat.

Protein is essential for building muscle, and I know you like your beef (you can have meat every day), muscle increases the metabolism and burns more fat. Meat should be lean, particularly chicken - chicken breasts are the leanest part of the chicken and TAKE THE SKIN OFF.

Cook with a little oil. DO NOT COOK IN OLIVE OIL as the cooking process turns it into saturated fat (I discovered this recently and the results were quite pronounced). Do not have fried foods, except maybe on your reward day.

Timing of food.
The old adage about eating like a king in the morning, like a prince in the afternoon and like a pauper in the evening is true. Eat most of your calories towards the beginning of the day for when you need them (rather than having them left over when you sleep, which will then turn to fat - also related to not eating complex carbs after 8pm).

Another thing I discovered... grazing is better than eating loads in one go. Your body can only use a certain amount of food in one sitting to repair itself (creating or repairing muscle) and fuel its energy. Anything left over is turned to fat. The trick is to eat small amounts more often. Contrary to popular belief, bodybuilders eat around 6 small meals a day, each containing no more than around 30g of protein (as that is the max a body can absorb in 1 hour) and 50g of carbohydrate, nothing exceeded as excess food turns to fat.

6 meals a day can be difficult in a business environment... so I suggest having a smaller lunch and dinner (no pudding) and add some healthy snacks between meals that could take 5 mins to eat (such as 1 banana, a small salad with some bits of meat in it, etc.).

Warning, it will take 3 months before you are comfortable with your new diet. Persist for that time, and then commit afterwards.

Exercise.
Effective fat loss is enhanced with exercise. DO NOT OVERDO IT. Overdoing it makes the whole experience turn from an initial novelty to a chore. Exercise NO MORE THAN THREE TIMES A WEEK. Each session should LAST NO MORE THAN ONE HOUR. Over-training actually wrecks your muscles because they need time to repair, if that time is not afforded to them then they do not develop and replace the fat.

The kind of training you do is up to you. You've mentioned martial arts and that will train strength and stamina and increase your levels of energy. The gym is good, although your training style should reflect your aspirations - there are different ways of training in a gym, methods for musculature, methods for stamina, methods for power-lifting. There are various books on the subject, some crap some excellent - email me and I'll recommend some for you.

First thing you must do before doing any of this.... get a medical check-up to determine your level of fitness and your immediate capabilities (which will be improved on as you progress).

Treat this as a "once in a lifetime" experiment, as a hobby even. Seek improvement in small steps, check your progress on a weekly basis. Don't be too critical (but stick to the routine) to start with, as it takes about 3 months to see the glimmer of an improvement (9 months to see a definite improvement).

Finally, this message has taken quite a bit of effort on my part to write, I don't want to have written this for nothing. If you have any questions, anything you're unclear about them email me at my hotmail address (see my profile).

Andrew

Andrew Randle
Currently in the "Linn Binn"

[This message was edited by Andrew Randle on WEDNESDAY 05 June 2002 at 22:57.]
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Mike Sae
Totally agree with Andrew's essay.

To add,

-Following much of the ideology in Andrew's post, during the past 2 years with a mix of wieghtlifting, running and cycling I was able to lose 20 kilos, the double chin, 4 inches in waist size (40 to 36) and increase my energy/cardio/endurance, well... a helluvalot. It works!

-It seems your present diet isn't all that bad. You don't need to change your diet at all- you need only exercise every other day, as per Andrew.

-After a few weeks of whatever exercise you choose, you'll find you can't go without it. Once you get going, it's easy to maintain.

quote:
I reckon you can get very far if you put your mind to it and TREAT IT AS A HOBBY.

I'd suggest taking this further. Regard it as a black and white issue. You'll either win or fail. Every day you go out for your workout- you win. If you miss a day- you fail. DO NOT FAIL. It's as simple as that. Even if you're dead tired on your workout day, soldier on; you'll find the exercise wakes you up.

That day when you're in the shops for smaller sizes of pants and shirt will be one of the best days of your life.

Best of luck,

Mike
Posted on: 05 June 2002 by Chris Dolan
I also agree with Andrew Randle - well mostly any way.

Personally I'd limit my intake of complex carbohydrates generally and not just to time of the day - but there are lots of other factors involved!!

A diet/food method that worked for me when I gave up smoking was based on the book "eat yourself slim" by michel montignac.

I certainly do not subscribe to all of the theories in the book (particularly the chapter on exercise) and I would not suggest it as a panacea - but it worked for me.

Chris
Posted on: 06 June 2002 by Nigel Cavendish

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 06 June 2002 by herm
Vuk, you're such a Funny Man.

Why are you doing all these push-ups and bananas? Anyone can tell you you don't need those to "enjoy success with girls in their early twenties". All you need is a substantial lack of confidence in the masculinity department and, possibly, a working car.

Well, Mick, looks like you can go either way. Either completely change your life and eat rabbit food or just get a little less desert and a little more movement. You know, those Greek gods aren't having all that much fun, standing bare-assed in the museum. Hope it's going to work.

Herman
Posted on: 06 June 2002 by Alex S.
I substituted spring onions for the bananas and spring lambs for the pears and just watched the pounds tumble off. Young twenty-somethings flocked towards me (when I promised to enhance their modelling careers). The only downside is that Anya and the kids had to live in an oxygen tent for six months.

Alex
Posted on: 06 June 2002 by Dev B
Vuk,
quote:
The fact that I continue to enjoy success with girls in their early twenties is that I still look like I'm not much older, even though I'm about to turn 36 this summer.

Anyone who boasts about their prowess with the laydeez on a predominately male internet forum very obviously hasn't pulled in a long time wink

Dev
Posted on: 06 June 2002 by Matthew T
Mick,

I always think that dieting is not the best solution to being healthier unless you are really overweight because your aim is one of looking better or being 'more healthy', I don't know very many people who actually can keep committed to something with that kind of motivaion.

I would aim to get fitter, set yourself a goal (run a mile, run a half marathon, cycle round Swindon, do the London Brighton cycle ride, whatever) and then stick to it. You will then be able to keep eating what you do now and know that this isn't a problem, you may well find that eating fatty and sugary food is les appealing when you feel fitter. If you find something that motivates you and gets you cardivascular system working it will make you feel better, going on a diet will just make you miserable.

Also, drink lots of water, when you feel hungry, drink water first then eat.

cheers

Matthew

Training for a triathlon and wondering why at the moment!