NaimNet

Posted by: Lark on 15 June 2007

Hi

Any ideas when this is rolled out?

Do we have any definite prices as yet?

Cheers Karl
Posted on: 15 June 2007 by Rodborough
Hi Lark

I was at the Naim factory last Tuesday and the latest information is that some products will be available in mid September and a gradual roll out of the rest over the next 12 months, very exciting it all looks and sounds as well.

Warmest regards,

Norman
Partner – Ultimate Home Entertainment Solutions
Posted on: 15 June 2007 by Lark
Thanks Norman.

Any ideas on pricing?
Posted on: 16 June 2007 by Keith L
My dealer also confirmed mid-September date. He has the basics set up in the shop at the moment which is a Net Stream system hooked up to both a Yamaha system and iTunes on a pc. When the NaimNet components are available, Net Stream will have another source to link to.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun or over simplifying matters, but it sounds like if you are waiting for NaimNet, you can install a Net Stream system hooked up to another server (pc, mac, Yamaha....) and swap over to the Naim server when it's ready.

Keith
Posted on: 16 June 2007 by David Dever
No, that is EXACTLY the case–and a great way to get things happening early.
Posted on: 16 June 2007 by Keith L
If this is the case, anyone who can afford to have their home prepared for NaimNet, can get their dealer/installer to supply and install a full NetStream system. What's the hold up?

Keith
Posted on: 20 June 2007 by Cjones
Wires in, NetStream hardware on the way and patiently awaiting the launch of Naim Net. NetStream hardware seems pretty slick!
Posted on: 20 June 2007 by Keith L
quote:
Wires in, NetStream hardware on the way and patiently awaiting the launch of Naim Net. NetStream hardware seems pretty slick!

If you haven't already done it, you can get started with an iTunes based server. Remember to import at either aiff or Apple lossless.

Keith
Posted on: 20 June 2007 by flyfisher
Is there any where I can find out what Naimnet is about.
Thanks
Flyfisher
Posted on: 21 June 2007 by Keith L
Hi Flyfisher,

Naimnet is about sharing music from a central location, a Naim server, to other rooms in a house. The sharing (audio streaming) is performed by an established system called NetStream. The streamed audio is replayed by either conventional amplifier and speakers or by wireless Naim players and speakers. Naim will provide their own remote handsets rather than the normal NetStream offering.

Naim is only using a small part of NetSteam which is capable of carrying signals for video, lighting , blinds. ventilation....in fact it's a rival to the more popular Crestron system.

Keith
Posted on: 21 June 2007 by flyfisher
quote:
Originally posted by Keith L:
Hi Flyfisher,

Naimnet is about sharing music from a central location, a Naim server, to other rooms in a house. The sharing (audio streaming) is performed by an established system called NetStream. The streamed audio is replayed by either conventional amplifier and speakers or by wireless Naim players and speakers. Naim will provide their own remote handsets rather than the normal NetStream offering.

Naim is only using a small part of NetSteam which is capable of carrying signals for video, lighting , blinds. ventilation....in fact it's a rival to the more popular Crestron system.

Keith

Keith
Thanks for bringing me up to speed on this. This sounds quite amazing

How will a regular Naim amp/system be able to pick this up, around the house from the in house Naim server. If you have invested £'s in regular hi fi, what do you do?

Can mp3s and I pressume that is what we are talking about, compete sound quality wise against CDs and vinyl?

Thanks
Flyfisher
Posted on: 21 June 2007 by Frank Abela
http://www.naimnet.com
Posted on: 21 June 2007 by flyfisher
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Abela:
http://www.naimnet.com

Wow that is a complete brave new world. There I am thinking about power amp upgrades, silly me?
Posted on: 21 June 2007 by David Dever
quote:
If you haven't already done it, you can get started with an iTunes based server. Remember to import at either aiff or Apple lossless.

Unless something has changed recently, AFAIK only WAV and MP3 continue to be supported–you can rip your CDs into AIFF or Apple lossless, but you'd need to transcode them later into WAV.

With hard disk space very inexpensive these days, one could argue that it's greener ( Roll Eyes ) to rip them the right way in the first place.
Posted on: 21 June 2007 by Cjones
quote:
Hi Flyfisher,

Keith

The NetStreams Digilinx line is an IP based home automation platform and is the platform used with Naimnet. The IP based part being the unique part, as far as I can tell. You will need a seasoned installer as well. The biggest challenge I had was that few, (none in my market) Naim dealers are (were) NetStream dealer/installers. Netstreams continue to expand the line, so check back often as one solution might change over night... There are definitely specifics that are not readily apparent to the end user, so you will need a NetStreams guy to build the system. I am early on and will update as the system goes in/up.
Posted on: 21 June 2007 by Keith L
quote:
The NetStreams Digilinx line is an IP based home automation platform and is the platform used with Naimnet. The IP based part being the unique part, as far as I can tell.

My Slim Devices Server uses an IP address to locate my Squeezebox. It's standard network protocol.

Keith
Posted on: 22 June 2007 by Cjones
quote:
My Slim Devices Server uses an IP address to locate my Squeezebox. It's standard network protocol.

Keith

Great. I guess its the IP design and the host of products that integrate wel into this IP design. Yes, I am SURE there are cheaper alternatives, but Naim faces that with all its products. The platform seems very dynamic and pretty user friendly.
Posted on: 22 June 2007 by garyi
I think naimnet is about quality music replay.

If its ease of use you are after then there will be many systems available right now that do just that.

I think Naimnet is not wireless either, i.e. ethernet will be required. I could be wrong.
Posted on: 27 June 2007 by Cjones
quote:

Keith

Keith, how does one do this? Is it just a computer with Itunes, an ipod or is it actually a server with itunes on board? I need this as the installer is saying I need something until NAIM gets its product out...

Thanks
Posted on: 27 June 2007 by Chris Murphy
It is an exciting time. Netstreams do not make sources. Naim will, plus make a range of amps to integrate into the Netstreams system. You will need an installer either way.

The really exciting thing about the StreamNet technology as opposed to other IP based distribution systems is its ability to time match signals, no out of time echo from down the hall. The whole house rocks as one....

Also exciting is Netstreams are currently beta testing their Video over IP. Hi Def streamed video over the network. Leading eadge, quality driven stuff! No wonder Naim spotted them! And that is what makes NaimNet so exciting too, those two forces joined together...wow!
Posted on: 27 June 2007 by Keith L
quote:
Originally posted by Cjones:
Keith, how does one do this? Is it just a computer with Itunes, an ipod or is it actually a server with itunes on board? I need this as the installer is saying I need something until NAIM gets its product out...

Thanks

I must emphasize that I have no first hand experience. I'm going by what I saw at my dealers. His NetStream was linked into a pc playing itunes and also to a Yamaha server. I guess the pc was set with a static IP address that NetStream was programmed to accept and use. The other end was linked to a standard Nait5i. There must have been a dac in line between the NetStream digital signal and the analogue Nait.
Keith
Posted on: 28 June 2007 by David Dever
NetStreams does make a Streaming Music Manager which utilizes CIFS network file access protocols to access and stream MP3 or WAV files from network-connected storage arrays, PCs, Macs, etc., with some restrictions.

These streams can then be decoded locally using their MediaLinx products, which possess a coaxial SPDIF output (connect to your SUPERNAIT and you're off and running).

In lieu of NaimNet servers and room amps, there are quite a few installations that I am aware of for which these have already been installed, as placeholders....
Posted on: 28 June 2007 by daddycool
I find NaimNet interesting as a multi-room concept and a whole new Naim line, some components of which might be used in a normal hifi-system.

However, music-server-wise, I fail to grasp yet how it would be an improvement over a nice Apple computer running iTunes, so both a user friendly OS and music server software.

Connected to a great DAC (I believe Russ Andrews and Headroom mini are the current choices in the budget and bigger budget departments) and Chord cables the sound should be similar, yes?

And will the hard-drives be swappable, like in a comnputer, so that when the 160GB disk it came with is full you can easily mount a 750Gb one?
And why does Naimnet have a Windows interface (rather than web-based) that only experts can use apparently?

Just wondering and looking forward to replies.
Posted on: 28 June 2007 by joe90
quote:
However, music-server-wise, I fail to grasp yet how it would be an improvement over a nice Apple computer running iTunes, so both a user friendly OS and music server software.

Connected to a great DAC (I believe Russ Andrews and Headroom mini are the current choices in the budget and bigger budget departments) and Chord cables the sound should be similar, yes?

Computer-based audio will no doubt be able to be super-engineered, just like CD was - at first no one thought there could possibly be an improvement (it's all digital, right?), but we'll probably find that the Naim Server will sound quite a bit better.