Newport Velodrome

Posted by: Tim Danaher on 28 November 2003

One for all the cyclists...

Rode the first club evening at our new national velodrome on Wednesday. The new track is amazing. Very fast, with amazingly steep banking...42 deg on the bends, 12 deg on the straights. It feels like riding the wall of death...we were only on for one hour, but jaysus, did i feel it the next morning!

Going to have to save up for my own track bike now -- put that CDX2 on hold!

Cheers,

Tim

Os nid Campagnolo yw hi, dyw hi ddim yn werth ei marcho...
Posted on: 28 November 2003 by Tim Jones
Tim -

Good for you. Did you compete in that night road race they have in Newport? That looks awesome.

Tim
Posted on: 28 November 2003 by glenda
Tim (J) - I think that you're getting confused between Newport Gwent and Newport Shropshire .The night race was at the latter although Newport Gwent staged the national road race champs this year and the national crits last year - both these , together with Newport being the home of Diverse Vinyl , make Newport a decent place to live but only if you like cycling and records ....otherwise it's an orifice.
Glenda
Posted on: 29 November 2003 by Tim Danaher
Glenda --

I heartily endorse your statement. Newport is the only place I know of where two Thai restaurants have failed (not Indian, not Chinese, see?) and where you can't get basil in an Italian restaurant.

Tim -- you'll have to try it (only a couple of hours from London, you can hire track bikes and it beats the living shit out of Herne Hill...;0)

Actually John Richards, the owner of Diverse Records (the label) is a mate of mine, and a cyclist -- he was at the track on Wednesday too.

Oh, and Glenda, you forgot the third reason that makes life in Newport bearable...

GOLDIE LOOKING CHAIN...YOU KNOWS IT!

Cheers,

Tim

Posted on: 29 November 2003 by Tim Jones
Glenda -

Thanks for clarifying matey!

"Newport a decent place to live but only if you like cycling and records ....otherwise it's an orifice."

Sounds pretty good to me...

Tim J
Posted on: 30 November 2003 by glenda
Tim D - actually John lives 100 yards from me so pop up sometime and see me at number 85 . Buying a house at the top of the hill seemed like a good idea at the time but I regret it at the end of every long ride.
Cheers
Glenda
Posted on: 30 November 2003 by Tim Danaher
Glenda --

I live halfway up St. Edward Street, so Blewitt street is my particular nemesis...I even ride up your road and come down Brynhyfryd to avoid it!

So are you with our club? (John's just rejoined)

Cheers,

Tim

Posted on: 30 November 2003 by j8hn
Guys you're forgetting Newport's most amazing feature -- The Transporter Bridge

Plus Big W - possibly th biggest Woolworths in da woild
Posted on: 01 December 2003 by P
A word of warning to the unwary.

I ordered 10 albums from Diverse Online recently. Out of the 5 that turned up after 2 days 3 were warped and one was completely unplayable (looked like it had been microwaved!)

The other 5 were out of stock

Beware when ordering online.

Rgds

P
Posted on: 01 December 2003 by Dan M
Does Diverse Vinyl have a store? I visit relatives in Newport about once a year.

cheers

Dan
Posted on: 01 December 2003 by glenda
Dan - the shop is in Charles Street just off the main shopping street . It's a bit pokey but the guys are very approachable.
Tim (D) - I'm more of a runner so haven't joined the Paragon and don't like the Phoenix -
Look forward to seeing you on the Tumble some time .
Glenda.