Texas- The band not the state

Posted by: cabermac on 07 March 2001

Here in the states the band Texas is pretty much unknown. I really like their early albums up to and including White On Blonde, a great album in my opinion. I was curious how they were thought of in Britain? Not sure why I'd like to know but I have always been curious about such things. Also if you havent heard White on Blonde do pick up a copy soon I doubt you will be sorry.
Thanks,
Michael
Posted on: 08 March 2001 by Top Cat
I saw them live just over a week ago - at their home city of Glasgow. Good gig. I wouldn't count myself as a fan, but I did enjoy the gig.

Last night I saw Fun Lovin' Criminals in Edinburgh - they started off well, but they overstayed their welcome somewhat; they played for around 90 minutes before finishing, then came on and were on their seventh song of their first encore when myself and my fine lady left - I mean, two, maybe three songs in an encore is enough, but seven was just getting tedious...

John

Posted on: 08 March 2001 by Pete
They started out in the late 80s but after a promising start wilted a bit until WoB, which represneted not so much a comeback as a rebirth, surpassing their previous popularity quite a bit. Right now they can't seem to do much wrong over here, with a "best of" living around the top of the chart for quite a while.

Pete.

Posted on: 08 March 2001 by Nigel Cavendish
I think that their early stuff "Southside" and "Rick's Road" are their better efforts.

I also think that Sharleen Spiteri has a great voice and would do better to ditch the band and go solo.

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 08 March 2001 by woodface
Band or Bland? I think this band is pretty poor and their most recent single (the one with all the 'yehs yehs') is probably one of the most annoying songs of all time. In fact they are not really a band at all as only the singer (and I think the guitarist) get any royalties as they write the songs - the rest are basically session musicians. Mick Hucknall did a similar thing with Simply Red.
Posted on: 08 March 2001 by P
Totally derivative poorly plagiarised bland pap music for people who have no idea.

The singer is quite rich though.

Yeuch

P.

My propellor is on back order