Speaker Advice

Posted by: iiyama on 06 May 2005

Im thinking of buying the Denon 2805 av amp which i will run via my 282 and credos.

What centre speaker should i consider to pair with the credos? I will also need some rears, these would have to be wall mountable and small due to living in a terrace house.

My budget isn't huge say £250-300 for the centre speaker and as little as poss for the rears.

Any comments and advice would be apreciated
Posted on: 07 May 2005 by Neil Bennett
Iiyama,

I recently went from a KEF90 centre which was £250 new and JBL Control 1's with wall brackets, which were £150, to an Axess and N-Sats/stands. As you can imagine the difference is considerable, but then so is the cost. The former items were serviceable in a modest system. I guess from looking at e-bay they'll fetch around £100-150 the brace. If you wanted to go up a level or 2 then I've no specific recommendations, but 2nd-hand/ex-dem would give you more bang for your buck, obviously.

Neil
Posted on: 07 May 2005 by Frank Abela
The new nCent would be a close match. The closest would be the Axess but that's big money and you'd be driving it with the 2805, which isn't the best solution since it's a lot of speaker.

If the nSats are too big, try to find a dealer with something like the M&K K-4 or Xenon Surround-25, both of which are tripoles and give excellent surround soundscape - and are very small indeed.
Posted on: 08 May 2005 by iiyama
Thanks for the advice.

My Naim dealer does not stock the new AV stuff although he is happy to get the nSats in for me so i might try the nCent.

The M&K's have a good reputation so i will try and get a dem.

The Axess is way over budget and i would sooner put that sort of cash towards an XPS2!