Limited availability of music to download

Posted by: Gary S. on 28 December 2008

Having now had my Linn DS for a few months, I have begun to consider how I will buy my music in the future. Up until now, I've been content to rip my CD collection, but it seems pointless buying CDs from now on as I don't now own a decent CD player, so they are purely a means to an end and I thought I would spend the Christmas break investigating music download sites.

So far I have been very dissapointed. Apart from Linn (who's catalogue is not really to my tastes) and a few other minority sites, there is a gaping hole in the market if you are looking for high def contemporary downloads. Musicgiants & HDtracks offer some good stuff, but it's only available inside the US or not available on flac.

I assume things will improve, but it appears to be a bit of desert for this type of stuff so far.

Anyone else sharing my frustration?

Gary
Posted on: 28 December 2008 by gary1 (US)
I agree with you regarding the download situation of hi-res files. There are a few more sites appearing that have 16 bit flac including Chesky (HDTracks), which also has 24 bit, and some limited DGG classical releases.

Actually on the whole I have bought more music than I have for the last few years as I can rip using the HDX and then file away the CDs. I still have room for about 200-250 discs before I'm obligated to rip to the NAS. So I'm enjoying it as this was one of the major reasons behind my interest in the HDX.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens with downloads either 16 bit wav, flac and 24 bit as time goes on.
Posted on: 28 December 2008 by pylod
is it really to expect, that the GIANT´s going to offer 24bit download files on their sites ? the big classical and rock and pop , jazz masters ?

first it was a lot of talk about changing come to happen...now.1 / 2 year later, it still seems to be a bit quiet...

just know, that naim is coming soon with their 24bit download offer...

in opposite i see more and more reissues of vinyl on the marked...
Posted on: 28 December 2008 by Steeve
quote:
Originally posted by pylod:
is it really to expect, that the GIANT´s going to offer 24bit download files on their sites ? the big classical and rock and pop , jazz masters ?

first it was a lot of talk about changing come to happen...now.1 / 2 year later, it still seems to be a bit quiet...

I know many have argued that record companies will not want to make high-resolution or "studio-quality" copies available publicly. But I think there is a counter-argument that if they can make money by making people re-buy their collections yet another time that could be attractive to them. After all, although the catalogue was limited and the format never took off, mainstream titles were released on DVD-Audio.

I've no idea though what will happen. When DVD-Audio was first announced I honestly thought that it would take over from CDs on the back of the popularity of DVD-Video! Red Face Big Grin

Although I'm sticking to CDs and LPs for the time being, it would be nice to hear something from the record companies on this front.

Steeve
Posted on: 28 December 2008 by Gary S.
I must admit, I hadn't considered the fact that record companies might not want to release high def material for fear of piracy. I'm not sure it would be any worse than the current position with CDs, after all, most people wouldn't have access to the hardware to hear any difference, let's face it, most people are happy with mp3 quality.

I am convinced there is a market for premium quality (and hence premium priced) downloads, and I would certainly be happy buying some of my favorite albums all over again in a HD format, which could only be to the record company's advantage.

Having heard the potential via some of Linn's mastertape releases, it does wet the appetite.

It will be interesting to see what transpires in the next year or so.

Gary
Posted on: 28 December 2008 by Gary S.
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
GaryS,
Stick with cds for a while yet.
They are so cheap to buy at this time.
You can always use them in the car.
Its going to be long while till this is sorted by the top record firms.
All you need is one on the net and the world and his wife will download it.
No money in that for them.
The cd might make a come back before it has gone Winker
Just buy more vinyl. Cool
Stu

Munch

I get what you're saying about CDs, they are so bloody cheap that I don't often buy new vinyl at arround 3 to 4 times the price. Also, as you say you can always play them in the car.

Gary
Posted on: 28 December 2008 by gary1 (US)
Gary, price will be a factor and Hi-res downloads shouldn't be that expensive. I've been turned off by Linn not even considering their catalogue, but just at the price for the 24 bit material at I believe around $30 when HDTracks can do the same for $15-16.

Munch is right I've been finding msny really good things for $10-12 even remastered jazz. The newer stuff continues to be aroung $18.
Posted on: 28 December 2008 by JY
Agreed with the lack of *LEGAL* lossless download music available online. Just to share, I have been a punter of the following sites with lossless music for sale:

* HDTRACKS (Nice addition with 96/24 download)
* DG (44.1/16 only)
* Magnatune (Nice independent music site, 44.1/16 only)
* Linn (Some good music with 96/24 download, expensive)
* 2L (Nice Norwegian site with 96/24 download, and 96/24 download of DIVERTIMENTI, the world’s first Blu-Ray music disc)
* iTrax (96/24 download from AIX Records, the DVD-Audio label)

With the exception of Magnatune, the problem with most of the above sites is pricing. Despite the fact that the labels have done away with channel and distribution costs, the price is the same or above that of packaged CDs.
Posted on: 29 December 2008 by Gary S.
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
Gary S,
You must get yourself a good record cleaner,Its worth its money in Gold.
Stu

and a good stylus cleaner Big Grin Big Grin Is it working OK?

So, if I read thing correctly you're getting a keel and new arm? You jammy bugger.

Gary
quote:
Originally posted by JY:
With the exception of Magnatune, the problem with most of the above sites is pricing. Despite the fact that the labels have done away with channel and distribution costs, the price is the same or above that of packaged CDs.

I actually don't have a real problem with the price. If a vinyl LP is going to cost me anything from £18-22, then I have no issue with buying a mastertape quality version at say £18 (Linn). It's just the lack of availability. I would love for instance to replace my Van Morrison collection with HD, but nothing like that is available (yet!)
Posted on: 29 December 2008 by u5227470736789454
I must admit that this discussion about the availability of downloads makes me feel more certain that an HDX makes more and more sense to me as it sort of covers all the bases

..... and I don't mean to start a HDX discussion, just my thoughts

Barrie
Barrie

I also don't want to start that discussion again Winker, but surely the ability to aquire music at a far better quality than that which CD can deliver, is something we should all be striving for.

I have ripped my entire CD collection and continue to buy on CD, but as I said originally, the CD is just a means to an end and if truth be told, not a particularly good way of aquiring music in this day and age.
Posted on: 29 December 2008 by u5227470736789454
I agree totally with you, it may just take some time before one of the big boys breaks ranks and supplies enough of what we are looking for at realistic prices.
In the meantime great playong/ripping of cd's for storage/access/replay seems like a very logical route and therefore the HDX ( amongst others) seems a pretty safe bet for the future.
Barrie
Posted on: 29 December 2008 by JY
quote:
Originally posted by JY:
Agreed with the lack of *LEGAL* lossless download music available online. Just to share, I have been a punter of the following sites with lossless music for sale:

* HDTRACKS (Nice addition with 96/24 download)
* DG (44.1/16 only)
* Magnatune (Nice independent music site, 44.1/16 only)
* Linn (Some good music with 96/24 download, expensive)
* 2L (Nice Norwegian site with 96/24 download, and 96/24 download of DIVERTIMENTI, the world’s first Blu-Ray music disc)
* iTrax (96/24 download from AIX Records, the DVD-Audio label)

Missed one: High Definition Tape Transfers (Very nice sounding remaster of 96/24 music from 50s reel to reel tapes)