Soundcard or dac or both

Posted by: oxgangs on 30 October 2008

I have a few mp3s (hundreds).When I connect my laptop to my 72 it sounds terible.

Am I best just using an external soundcard (usb type)plugged into the pre amp.

Should I buy a Dac I was thinking one of the £200 costing ones.

Or do I need both to get the best sound.

All help very much appreciated.

Mike
Posted on: 31 October 2008 by goldfinch
Hi, what about an m-audio transit usb + bereford dac? This will definately sound much better than connecting PC to preamp. I think this is a good vfm budget solution.
Posted on: 31 October 2008 by ChrisBathory
Hi Mike,

Sadly I'm afraid that pretty much any MP3 resolution is going to sound horrid through your naims.

You can make it work much better by going to one of the lossless formats. ---I'd suggest full-house WAV rips (disk is very cheap).

...and then as Mr Goldfinch says some v.good improvements are available via a modest standalone DAC (i have a Squeezebox and a beresford and would recommend it as a pretty decent solution).

As you a 72 man, I know that CB and olive preamps are very susceptible to mains crud, so beware computer Switch Mode power supplies being plugged in locally to the naims - I got further good improvements by investing in suitable Farnell linear power supplies (for the DAC and squeezebox).

Hope this helps!
Chris
Posted on: 31 October 2008 by oxgangs
I suspected as much( waving not drowning)

thanks for the help

cheers

Mike
Posted on: 31 October 2008 by djftw
Hi Mike,

Chris is of course right about the deficiencies of MP3s and if they are files you've ripped then ripping them again in a lossless format would bring massive improvement. However, a lot of computer sound cards do sound dreadful anyway. Within reason low bit rate files can sound good from a decent source, just don't expect miracles! My suggestion would be to look at USB DACs, I know the Beresford DAC is much loved on here, but in my experience USB DACs are very convenient if you are going straight from a computer, and around your budget are pretty good value for money.

One thing to try might be to make use of Russ Andrews 60 day return policy and try one of these.

A Firestone Fubar II USB DAC at £105 I think it is pretty good value, and best of all for us Naimies with our obsession with external power supplies, one is available.

The Supplier at £89. Together the two would fall nicely into your price range.

Another one to consider is the new Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC.

I have yet to hear one, but in their price range I hold Cambridge in high esteem. This also has the advantage of having an optical and a coaxial spdif input in addition to the USB, so if in the future you wanted to add another digital source you wouldn't need another DAC. Richer Sounds is the exclusive distributer of these in the UK, they are not quite up to the standard of most Naim dealers where demonstrations are concerned, but are generally very helpful and will let you try it out properly provided you prompt them! It's not really their fault, most of their customers are there for half price 60" TVs rather than serious Hi-Fi!

I'm sure there are more circa £200 USB DACs, but those two should be a good place to start.

Regards,

Dom
Posted on: 01 November 2008 by oxgangs
Hi Dom

I didnt know about this so will begin the research right now

thanks for your comments

cheers

Mike
Posted on: 17 November 2008 by DMC
Naim is going to be too revealing for a laptop. External DAC's are more of a band aid. One way to get good sound from files is to burn them on CD.

DMC
Posted on: 17 November 2008 by nap-ster
quote:
Originally posted by DMC:
Naim is going to be too revealing for a laptop. External DAC's are more of a band aid. One way to get good sound from files is to burn them on CD.

DMC

Controversial............