Easy way to connect portable hard drive to Nait?

Posted by: davereay on 01 November 2008

Hi all

I have been considering a squeezebox for some time but as I have a portable external USB 2.0 hard drive I don't see the point connecting wirelessly to my computer, (which of course would need to be switched on) if I could just connect up the hard drive to my Nait 5i somehow and leave it hidden round the back of my rack and play some of the 4500 tracks I have stored on there. It is used purely for back up so I rarely connect it to my PC. Is there an easy way of doing this, I guess there has to be a software interface somehwere? As CD is my main replay method I don't want to spend a fortune as it is mainly for occassional use for the odd track that I don't want to burn to CD, I don't have an i-pod or anything like that. I don't have any movies on my hard drive so it is just for mp3 playback. Thanks for any suggestions. Dave
Posted on: 01 November 2008 by garyi
Nope, cannot think of anything. There will need to be hardware in the way, and if its a usb drive it will have to involve a computer.

Or of course a HDX.
Posted on: 01 November 2008 by Nigel Cavendish
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:

Or of course a HDX.

He did say he did not want to spend a fortune...
Posted on: 01 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
Dave, they sell USB/ethernet adapters ($20 USD). This way you can do the following:

NAS (USB)-->USB/ethernet adapter-->ethernet--->SB or Sonos--->RCA/RCA Nait or RCA/DIN Nait.

This way you have a direct connection and can forego any wireless

If you do not have a router at home, then you'd need also a 5 port switch for the ethernet connections. Well worth it.

USB/eternet adapter $20
Router G or N) $50-90
5 port switch (not hub) $30
ethernet cable(s) $20-30 (dep on length for the 2 or 3 you need)
Sonos/SB or even airport express (now PC and MAC) and remotely control with and ipod. (price depends on whether you buy SB duet (with remote), sonos w/or w/o hand controller and whether you need to buy an ipod.

Anyway, lots of options and your computer does not need to be on or involved.

Gary
Avole, I don't quite agree.

I understand your mp3 comments. However, looking at the bigger picture, look at what Dave gets with Sonos. Automatic access to internet radio, pandora is now free,as is last.fm, playlists for himself or entertaining, etc... With a rhapsody subscription of $12/month then theres potential access to millions of tunes that Dave doesn't own and can explore and go buy the CD for better playback if he wants or playlists that others have made and posted to rhapsody. So there are many additional benefits of going this way.

If you don't want the hand controller now then you use the free desk top software to control the NAS wirelessly from your PC.

I posted on another thread that I did this and I had ripped all of my CDs as wav, but I hardly ever use the ripped files since almost all of the music is on rhapsody anyway and I find myself using Sonos to listen to things I don't own and "really listen" to my CDs for critical listening.

Overall, a Sonos/SB whatever is a great way to go for many reasons. The ability to hook up the NAS as I've pointed out is a bonus to the overall set-up instead of being the raison d'etre!!

Gary
quote:
Originally posted by avole:
Hi Gary,

Sure, everything you say is true, but that's not what Dave wants, unless I've misread his post. And he does say "I don't want to spend a fortune as it is mainly for occassional use for the odd track that I don't want to burn to CD."

Avole, Dave may not have actually recognized the potential that he could gain by going to a Sonos when he posted his "limited question", so I felt I should point this out to him and he can decide on the viability of the solutions and VFM. At $350 USD for Sonos and an additional $120 for the other hardware (total $470) I don't think that's a fortune.

He may actually turn to using his Sonos with the additional functionality more than he realizes once it's in place.
Posted on: 01 November 2008 by winkyincanada
Mac mini and iPod touch/iphone for control? You could add an external DAC later as an "upgrade". The MM is not much bigger than a HD and could live "round the back".
Winky, he's already got the NAS, adding a Mac Mini doesn't really add anything to his problem and he'd have to re-rip every CD to wav, etc.. for the better playback which I don't think he wants to do. Plus to do this with an EAC solution would take a tremendous amount of time.

As I said for about $500 he can have a really nice solution to his NAS access issue and a terrific functional upgrade.
quote:
Originally posted by gary1:
Winky, he's already got the NAS, adding a Mac Mini doesn't really add anything to his problem and he'd have to re-rip every CD to wav, etc.. for the better playback which I don't think he wants to do. Plus to do this with an EAC solution would take a tremendous amount of time.

As I said for about $500 he can have a really nice solution to his NAS access issue and a terrific functional upgrade.

I'm inclined to agree with you that there is a lot of VFM in the convenience of the Sonos etc.

I was just making an alternative suggestion. He wouldn't have to re-rip. He could just copy the MP3s onto the Mac Mini HD and play them with iTunes using the remote iPod Touch. As you say, he'd be left with a redundant NAS that he could continue to use for back-up for his PC.
Posted on: 01 November 2008 by davereay
Thanks guys

Gary, very helpful and food for thought, I already have a broadband modem and router as I use my laptop wirelessly, also I have a wii hooked up to it but can't say I have used it wirelessly yet, only to update it. Hooking the harddrive up to the router and transmitting via wireless is a possibility, running an ethernet cable from my PC upstairs rear to my lounge downstairs and at the front of the house is not! (not until I run my dedicated spur anyway!) I would go the wireless route in this case. Most of my mps's are ripped at 320kbs and when I burn them to CD they don't sound too bad at all, certainly would be fine for background or parties anyway, would be interesting to see what quality loss there is by transmitting wirelessly and through the router etc. One of the turn offs for me of the SB/Sonos is having to have the computer on, especially as the kids are likeley to re-boot it or switch it off at any time! Having the hard drive wired up to a router is a good idea. I have the earlier Nait 5i, an i-pod may be an idea as I can connect that up to both of my car stereos as well and have a huge range of music. My panansonic DVD player/recorder has a SD slot so I guess I could buy an 8GB card and transfer it that way and feed the sound throug my Nait but I am not sure what menu/flexibility of track choice I would get, I will have to give it a try, in fact I will do that now and report back.
Thanks for the helpful and very speedy responses
Dave
Winky, I understand, but he'd spend alot more money and really obtain no real functional upgrade except the remote.

Now if you wanted to do what your suggesting, then just download itunes software, copy your mp3 files to itunes and store to the NAS. Then AE direct USB to the NAS and RCA/DIN or RCA/RCA direct to the Nait and an itouch does the trick to give you the remote access for less money.

Personally, I still prefer the Sonos route due to all the extra music availability already included and what more you can get for about $150/yr. Finally, I prefer the musical quality of Sonos to SB or itunes.
Yeah, but then he'd need to have his other PC on, which he wanted to avoid. AE won't run an NAS and iTunes. The Mac Mini is standalone.

Actually, re-reading, Daves's drive is a USB, not NAS drive. Either way...

Will SB play music off a USB drive without another computer in the network? Sonos will, right?

I think your Sonos solution is probably best (it is a very versatile set-up), but I was just offering an alternative. (Personally, I'd just use the existing PC and an AE for the lowest cost solution).
Dave, do you have a CAT5 jack downstairs or can you convert a cable jack to cable/data as well then just put the router in your downstairs lounge and run ethernet direct to your Sonos/NAS with the above suggestions. The PC would only need to be on if you use the desktop software to control a sonos or if you like SB then the duet for $450 gives you the remote and the other benefits you don't get with the apple solution. You wouldn't need the computer on at all using the duet since it would be connected direct to your NAS.

If not the cheapest solution would be to do what I suggest about with itunes software and converting your mp3s to itunes and download to the NAS. Direct hookup to your Nait with the Airport express and buy an itouch for the remote access. Then you have the added flexibility of using the itouch on the go or in your car.

Finally if you intend to stay in your home for a longer period, then it would be worth the investment for future proofing your home and improved playback to have someone get a dedictated mains spur to the lounge and couple it with some CAT5e or CAT6 cable and an ethernet jack. Then you have many more choices in the future. I'd really avoid wireless if possible it doesn't work or sound as good as direct connection.
quote:
Originally posted by winkyincanada:
Yeah, but then he'd need to have his other PC on, which he wanted to avoid. AE won't run an NAS and iTunes. The Mac Mini is standalone.

Actually, re-reading, Daves's drive is a USB, not NAS drive. Either way...

Will SB play music off a USB drive without another computer in the network? Sonos will, right?

I think your Sonos solution is probably best (it is a very versatile set-up), but I was just offering an alternative. (Personally, I'd just use the existing PC and an AE for the lowest cost solution).

Both Sonos and SB do not need the PC at all if you have the remote or hand controller
Posted on: 01 November 2008 by davereay
[QUOTE]Originally posted by davereay:
My panansonic DVD player/recorder has a SD slot so I guess I could buy an 8GB card and transfer it that way and feed the sound throug my Nait[QUOTE]
This didn't work as it will only process jpegs throught the SD slot. Again, thanks guys, lots to digest so after I have read your posts a few more times and understand them properly I can make some informed decisions!
Dave
Also, Sonos offers deals from time to time where if you buy a ZP100 and HC they give you a discount of $150 so total costs is $600.

Dave, take a close look at the HC and the remote from SB or the itouch. I just find that HC from Sonos to be very easy to use and search and like AE you can hook the Sonos directly to your Naim system and run everthing wirelessly. Sonos has alot more functionality than an AE due to internet radio and the other factors like rhapsody etc...

Overall, you really should put the money into getting an ethernet jack in your lounge if feasible, this way you can really go in any direction or go to Naimnet, HDX, possible naim dac down the road. One last point, apple products like the AE, apple TV are all Mac and PC compatible so do not feel like you need to get locked into an all apple solution. I personally try to avoid this.
BTW, Dave I just got a Sonos update and they now have a free application for controlling Sonos on your iphone/ipod touch. Check out the website and the demo pretty cool. Makes Sonos an even better option for what you want to do since you can now buy and use your itouch for you car etc...

Apple doesn't want to give licenses for content ie songs, but they want ultimately everything to work along with an apple product. Had this been available 8 months ago, I'd have gone with the itouch over the Sonos HC as prices for the itouch have come down as GB have increased. Smart move for Sonos as well since people might shy away from Sonos because of the need to buy a separate HC for remote. Now no longer an issue and the PCs always off.