HDX + Apple platform

Posted by: Orfeo on 16 December 2008

Hi
is there anyone that knows if the HDX can be in the future even MAC controllable and not only from a PC platform?

thnx
BkkB
Posted on: 16 December 2008 by Manu
The HDX is MAC controlable via a web browser. You can perform most of the functions with it.

The Naim Desktop Client and IP set utility are Windows. I do not know MAC enought to know if they work in emulation mode. This software is mainly used to change the back-up setting and to perform database management.
Posted on: 16 December 2008 by Patrick F
If you can run windows on your mac. IE Boot CAMP. VM ware fusion < preferred method. You can use it like any other app. but the software is still run on an windows OS.

the browser is still good. I use it all the time for my ns01. I only use the desktop client manage my database when i upload alot of music.
Posted on: 16 December 2008 by David Dever
Running the Desktop Client under Windows XP atop VMware Fusion is seamless (bridged networking mode, direct ethernet connection)–you can even dock the applications in Unity Mode.

If you're using an old G5–that's a different story.
Posted on: 17 December 2008 by Manu
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
I dont think that is what Manu meant with his question Winker

Question? Which one
Posted on: 17 December 2008 by Orfeo
the question is:
Naim will develop even a MAC pltaform application?
Winker

BkkB
Posted on: 17 December 2008 by Guido Fawkes
I agree BkkB - I would not want shell out to Gates and his lot just to run a user interface. I'm wondering if there is an opportunity for a member of ADC (Apple Developer Connexion) to create such an application - of course he/she would need a nice HDX to work with Smile

Else you could just use the web GUI - must be preferable to Windoze.
Posted on: 17 December 2008 by David Dever
I'd like to see a Flash-based Desktop Client application, myself, with decent skins, browse by album cover, etc.–however, there are Flash security issues to resolve before this would be possible (using the access levels required to change metadata on the server).

We should also include Linux users as well, as there are plenty of people who might be inclined to access the server on a Ubuntu-loaded netbook. Winker

Bring on the suggestions–this makes the process yours.
Posted on: 17 December 2008 by jon h
A possibly easier route would be to port the app to Silverlight
Posted on: 17 December 2008 by nkrgovic
As another Linux user, I'm all for the web platform. Simply add all the functionality to the web interface, since you already have one, making a desktop version obsolete.

Simple and effective. Also, upgrade proof. If done properly it will run on any client.
Posted on: 18 December 2008 by Chris Bell
Can the HDX be controlled wirelessly via an Airport Express or other wireless device with ethernet?

Naim should write an iPhone/iPod Touch app to control the HDX.
Posted on: 19 December 2008 by michael1702
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bell:
Can the HDX be controlled wirelessly via an Airport Express or other wireless device with ethernet?

yes.
quote:
Naim should write an iPhone/iPod Touch app to control the HDX.

i hope they will!