Synching iPod / laptop / mini Mac

Posted by: nap-ster on 19 September 2008

I am tempted to get a miniMac for domestic duties. I have a laptop that I use for currently keeping my iTunes library on and syching up my Ipod/iPhone when I am away from home.

If I did get a miniMac would all 3 keep synch together or is this not the case?

TIA
Posted on: 19 September 2008 by garyi
What do you mean by 'sync together?'
Posted on: 19 September 2008 by glevethan
No - I believe that you would have to sync the laptop and Mac Mini manually (copying files yourself).

One option would be to keep the library on one of the computers (laptop or mini - it does not matter) and then: continue to sync your iphone to the computer that held the iTunes library; allow your iTunes library to be "shared" so that the other computer could see it - and access and play it. Obviously this would require the computer which holds the library to always be on.

Gregg
Posted on: 19 September 2008 by nap-ster
OK, I suspected that might be the case.

Either way it looks like it isn't going to be a straightforward solution.
Posted on: 19 September 2008 by nap-ster
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
What do you mean by 'sync together?'

So that you can keep the data on all 3 devices the same by synching in iTunes.
Posted on: 20 September 2008 by garyi
You can keep data such as address books, bookmarks, calander events etc synced no problem. As for itunes, I don't really understand whyyou would want all the same information on each computer, seems a waste of space.

Keep it on one mac, and enable sharing on the others.
Posted on: 20 September 2008 by nap-ster
The reasoning behind it is so I have the ability to play the iTunes material direct off the Minimac into the hifi. I have the laptop to take away when I travel.

The mac will still be at home and the songs can be played independently off it.

I know you can do this with the Apple TV but couldn't see anywhere saying that it was possible with the miniMac.
Posted on: 20 September 2008 by imperialline
quote:
Originally posted by nap-ster:
I am tempted to get a miniMac for domestic duties. I have a laptop that I use for currently keeping my iTunes library on and syching up my Ipod/iPhone when I am away from home.

If I did get a miniMac would all 3 keep synch together or is this not the case?

TIA

Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) is an excellent software for copying stuffs. It is a donation ware.