NAP160 Bolt down

Posted by: Sister E. on 30 March 2013

Hi,

On the spur of the moment I bought a late bolt down rather tatty NAP160.From the serial number it seems to be a 1982 model.

Plugged it in with a nac 32.5 and at least it seems to be working and sounding ok.

I doubt very much whether it has been serviced as the second hand hi-fi shop(a reputable one) had no idea of its service history.

I will check with Naim and if it hasn't been serviced I will get it to Naim or Class A .

A couple of questions:

It came with a very tatty modern three pin Bulgin mains cable. Can the mains connection at the back be changed to accommodate an IEC connection or do I have to stay with the Bulgin cable and find a more appropriate. Can a Naim mains cable be adapted to take a Bulgin plug?

Im sure it will be worth a full service as it seems to be a classic amp, one of the best naim ever made.

Thanks,

Sister xx

Posted on: 30 March 2013 by Richard Dane

Sister, the bolt-down NAP160 ran until 1980.  Naim's serial numbering system was revised and started again around '82, so pre '8s serial numbers are more difficult to age without the original records.

I believe Naim can update the unit to a more modern IEC inlet, however why not keep it original and just fit a Bulgin plug to a new Naim mains lead.  I did just this for an early SNAPS that I took on quite recently.  In my case I fitted the Bulgin plug with a short length of Naim Pirelli cable and then a female IEC so that I could use the SNAPS with a Hydra.  That way I could keep the SNAPS as original as possible without having to butcher the casework to fit an IEC inlet.  The Bugin plugs are still quite widely available as NOS. 

Posted on: 30 March 2013 by Sister E.
thanks richard. very useful info.

the serial number is in the early 2000s but it seems to have a chrome front and a bolt down top. Still, its sounding lovely on an initial listen.

just out of interest. what was the power output? arond 50 to 60 w?

thanks

Sister xx
Posted on: 30 March 2013 by Richard Dane

Sister,

Power output for the NAP160 was quoted as 50w/channel into 8 ohms, 80w/channel into 4 ohms, with a transient capability of 250VA.

Sounds like your unit is most likely a post '74 unit - the very early ones couldn't power a pre-amp, because this only arrived in '74 with the first Naim pre-amp, the NAC12.

Posted on: 30 March 2013 by Sister E.

Indeed it is,driving my 32.5 very nicely without an additional PSU,

Thanks Richard,

Sister xx

Posted on: 31 March 2013 by Ian Goulding

I have a mint serviced bolt down 160 and it is powering my 32.5 with a secondary psu and sounds sublime, almost tube like in presentation. I love this old girl and i beleive it was one of J.V.'s personal favourites. No doubt it would benefit from a service and when i had mine done i kept the original power lead as is, i really like the fridge magnet style of Naim logo on the fascia a timeless classic that backs it's reputation up in spades. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Regards Ian.

Posted on: 31 March 2013 by Sister E.

Thanks Ian,

Im sure a service would do wonders for this old gal(I mean the NAP160, not me). It also has a screw loose(like me)on the top plate, the green power light has gone out and the mains cable needs overhauling so off to Naim or Class A it will go in due course.

The funny thing is  - it's sounding very smooth and speedy so I wonder if it has received a service of some sort but it seems it's hard to found out on these old gals...

Sister xx

Posted on: 31 March 2013 by gary yeowell

The bolt down 160 a friend brought round some twenty years ago looked like it had fallen from a plane at 30,000 ft but it made my new 140 sound like a transistor radio. I have had a couple of extruded case 160's over the years and they were magnificent, but i will never forget the impact of dropping that bolt down in my system which consisted of an LP12/Ittok/Klyde/72/B&W 805s original.

Posted on: 31 March 2013 by Sister E.

I see what you mean Gary. It's seems to be  the least forward, most natural Naim power amp I've had. very different to the CB 250 which just didn't do it for me,

Sister xx

Posted on: 31 March 2013 by gary yeowell

Ditto Sister.... IMO it's the finest power amp Naim ever built.

Posted on: 31 March 2013 by Exiled Highlander

I still have my 160 (not bot down) from 19 god knows when...probably 1983 or so....serviced once and probably needs to be again....currently sitting in a box underneath the stairs but will soon be paired up to a 62, dual railed SNAPS  (once I get around to having the voltage changed back to 220/240v) and then add my little EPOS 3's.  5m toslink cable from my Mac Pro to a Beresford DAC I have lying around and off to the races hopefully.

A really great amp.  Very sweet.

Cheers

Jim

Posted on: 02 April 2013 by Analogue Rules OK
Originally Posted by Sister E.:

Thanks Ian,

Im sure a service would do wonders for this old gal(I mean the NAP160, not me). It also has a screw loose(like me)on the top plate, the green power light has gone out and the mains cable needs overhauling so off to Naim or Class A it will go in due course.

The funny thing is  - it's sounding very smooth and speedy so I wonder if it has received a service of some sort but it seems it's hard to found out on these old gals...

Sister xx

ClassA is the way to go Sister E.

By the way, your looking good tonight.

Chris N

Posted on: 02 April 2013 by Sister E.

Thanks Chris,

Feeling particularly gorgeous tonight!

Called Darran earlier today so the 160 will be on its way there next week, once I get my hands on my Cdi box for transport, which is in storage at my father's,

Sister xx

Posted on: 02 April 2013 by winkyincanada
Originally Posted by Analogue Rules OK:
....your....

you're

Posted on: 03 April 2013 by Sister E.

I've been using the 160 in my bedroom system where I have bananas fitted at both ends of my old NACA4.

I've just noticed that the spacing for the speakers connections on the back of the 160 is wider than the Naim speaker plugs fitted to my NACA5 in the living room system. Will I have to replace the Naim plugs with bananas if I want to use the 160 and is there any degradation in sound quality?

Thanks,

Sister xx

Posted on: 03 April 2013 by BigH47

No. Take off the NAIM plug covers and insulate the pins and use them like that, or have the pins re-soldered in line with the cable and again insulated.

Posted on: 03 April 2013 by gary yeowell

Just take the casing off of the Naim plugs and just use the soldered pins alone!

Posted on: 03 April 2013 by Sister E.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I will give it a go when the 160 comes back from its service,

Sister xx

Posted on: 03 April 2013 by Analogue Rules OK
Originally Posted by winkyincanada:
Originally Posted by Analogue Rules OK:
....your....

you're

So sorry for the typo winky, I stand corrected.

Chris N

Posted on: 26 April 2013 by Sister E.

My NAP 160 has returned from a service sounding very sweet if not a little shut in but I know it will open up with time.

I still have the ghastly old cheap Bulgin mains cable to deal with and I see Flashback sales sell a Bulgin plug with 0.5m of cable into a male IEC connector. This should fit into my Naim mains cable, or even better, my Hydra. This would give more flexibility than taking off the IEC connector off the Naim cable and fitting the Bulgin plug, for which I would need to have done professionally as im so useless on a practical level.

What would be better?

Thanks,

Sister xx

Posted on: 27 April 2013 by Richard Dane

Sister,

it's always best to go as direct as possible, so that would mean fitting a Bulgin connector to the Naim mains lead in place of the IEC.

Posted on: 27 April 2013 by Sister E.

Thanks Richard,

Will get it fixed.

Sister xx