POTs8

Posted by: Tbird on 12 February 2014

Sorry if this has been asked before but is the pots8 upgrade worthwhile?

My volume and balance controls no longer work using the remote control but work fine manually so I am thinking of having my NAC82 fixed and possibly upgraded but only if is a sonic improvement.  The research I have done so far suggests that it is only a control improvement as the pot are the same type/value and range.  Can anyone offer any help or advice as it's not a cheap upgrade/change.

Mick

Posted on: 12 February 2014 by Mike1380
In my experience, on my 82, pots8 was a HUGE upgrade on the mk5 pots originally fitted to the 82.

It isn't cheap, but it IS well worth it.

Mike
Posted on: 12 February 2014 by Tbird

Thanks Mike, what do you mean by huge?

Mick

Enormous, gargantuan, massive, humongous, not tiny...

Seriously though, due to a unique set of circumstances my 82 came back from service  with the original pots still in place. I plumbed it in, gave it a listen. And thought..."Hmmmm, not quite what I expected"

Doublechecked with Naim and discovered that they had indeed missed doing the pots upgrade requested.

Off it went, back to Salisbury.

Two weeks later it came back.

Plugged it in, fired it up, and just started laughing.

More scale, more depth, sounded like I was running two Hicaps instead of one (I know from experience as I do have 2 Hicaps, and have tried running both when the 82 first came back and my LP12 was being serviced, but under normal circumstances Hicap no 2 is for my Superline).

Based on what I've experienced, it would be a major miscalculation to miss out on a pots 8 upgrade while Naim are still offering it. 

Mike

Posted on: 12 February 2014 by Tbird

Thanks Mike, I am running 2 HiCaps into my 82 which then feed a pair of 135s.

Mick

Posted on: 12 February 2014 by Jassman

POTS8?

I tried to do a search on here and found out what it is. I've sent my new XS2 in for service, and they are replacing the volume pot do to channel imbalance....

would I be received a POTS8 as a replacement? or is this some special upgrade?

It applies to the older NAC52 and NAC82 preamps.
Although both discontinued and replaced respectively by NAC252 and NAC282 for over a decade now, whilst in production Naim continually developed these preamps, and the upgrades were both beneficial and retrofittable.

It's a testament to these two early full-width preamps that they still put many modern alternatives in the shade.

However, your XS2 already benefits from what Naim learnt during the development and production period of those two.

To my knowledge they were the first and last Naim preamps in which improved volume and balance pots were sequentially developed and then offered for upgrade.

In contrast, a 282 or 252 has varied very little between present day and original launch.

Mike
Posted on: 12 February 2014 by varyat

Will a POTS7 to POTS8  considered a worthy upgrade?

Posted on: 12 February 2014 by Darran H
Personally I wouldn't recommend it... money would be far better spent elsewhere..

Originally Posted by varyat:

Will a POTS7 to POTS8  considered a worthy upgrade?

Posted on: 12 February 2014 by varyat

Darran,

Thanks for the reply-it is what I have heard before. When I have asked others the same question, "There's not much in it" is usually the answer. That has me puzzled. Naim is not a company that makes changes without a lot of thought and reason, or parts become unavailable. Why then did they choose to upgrade the Pots 7 to the Pots 8 if "There is not much in it" ?? 

This is a genuine question and in no way am I trying to be a smart-ass here. Thanks for all the wisdom!

ATB,

Mark

Posted on: 13 February 2014 by Richard Dane

Naim are always looking to make improvements, no matter how small. Making these in production adds little or nothing to the overall cost while cumulatively keeping performance as good as it can be. I'd agree that upgrading from POTS7 to POTS8 is not so cost-effective - it's expensive for a minor improvement in performance. 

Posted on: 13 February 2014 by Tbird

Is it going from POTS4 to POTS8 worthwhile ?

Posted on: 13 February 2014 by Mike1380
Originally Posted by Tbird:

Based on my experience from 5 to 8, I can't imagine you'd regret going from a 4 to an 8.

Mike

Posted on: 13 February 2014 by Richard Dane

yes, definitely.

Posted on: 13 February 2014 by bluedog

My volume and balance controls no longer work using the remote control but work fine manually so I am thinking of having my NAC82 fixed and possibly upgraded but only if is a sonic improvement.  The research I have done so far suggests that it is only a control improvement as the pot are the same type/value and range.  Can anyone offer any help or advice as it's not a cheap upgrade/change.

Mick

This is somewhat at a tangent to your question - but for what it's worth, if you're thinking of spending some money on your hifi I would very strongly recommend that you consider saving the POTS8 upgrade until you can track down a NAC52.  FME there is a massive step up from the 82 to to the 52 and with the POTS8 upgrade (if required) it's a fantastic pre-amp.  I use it with a 250 so I imagine you would hear a huge improvement with 2 x 135's.  Not sure, but you might have to fork out for a Supercap too.

Just a thought

Posted on: 13 February 2014 by bluedog
Originally Posted by bluedog:

Mick

This is somewhat at a tangent to your question - but for what it's worth, if you're thinking of spending some money on your hifi I would very strongly recommend that you consider saving the POTS8 upgrade until you can track down a NAC52.  FME there is a massive step up from the 82 to to the 52 and with the POTS8 upgrade (if required) it's a fantastic pre-amp.  I use it with a 250 so I imagine you would hear a huge improvement with 2 x 135's.  Not sure, but you might have to fork out for a Supercap too.

Just a thought

BTW - the s/h price of the 52 (though quite elusive) makes it, IMHO, a no brainer.

Posted on: 13 February 2014 by Tbird

Thanks for the thought bluedog, I know what you are suggesting will be an improvement but I deliberately went along this route to curb my spending when I was building my system.  When I bought my 82 I went down the 2 x HiCap route so that I wasn't tempted by the 52, as I would have been if I had gone for a SuperCap.

Nothing has changed really as to replace my 82 and HiCaps would probably raise enough for one unit then I would need the other (52 or SC) and they would probably need a service which will push the price up again.  Then I would wonder if my CD2 was good enough etc, etc.  Can you understand why I went this way, I wanted a balanced system, which I believe I had and only got the 135s because my original 250 kept banging out with over temp and I almost did a straight swap for the 135's.  I would like to stay with what I have but get is serviced and if there is a cost effective upgrade have that done as well, hence my original question.

Posted on: 13 February 2014 by varyat
Originally Posted by Richard Dane:

Naim are always looking to make improvements, no matter how small. Making these in production adds little or nothing to the overall cost while cumulatively keeping performance as good as it can be. I'd agree that upgrading from POTS7 to POTS8 is not so cost-effective - it's expensive for a minor improvement in performance. 

Thanks Richard.