Upgrade ageing Yamaha DSP E 800?

Posted by: Mike Gundry on 08 November 2014

Upgrade ageing Yamaha DSP E 800?

I have a Yamaha DSP E800 which is connected with my Naim NAC202,NAP200 and I have disconnected all of my hifi prior to new carpet being fitted I have been out of the loop for some time I upgraded my Linn LK1 LK2 to Naim in the UK before moving to New Zealand 11 years ago.

And haven’t used the system to its full potential as habits change with our new surroundings used mostly now for internet radio 3.5 connected to Naim via smart-phone or the occasional bluray 3d dvd played through PS3 and Yamaha DSP E800 in Dolby digital watched via LG Smart TV

So looking at something to hook everything together budget please as only on a pension now!

System comprises of 

Linn Sondek LP 12

Ekos 11

Ortofon Kontrapunktb UE Moving Coil Cartridge Universal Exchange  

Linn Cirkus main bearing upgrade Linn LP12

Naim Stageline MC 

Naim Allae speakers ex dem Radford Bristol

Yamaha Digital Sound Processor

B & W 2000 IFS Centre Speaker

Densen Beat 400 upgraded to +

Naim NAC202

Naim NAP200

Chord Chrysalis 3 cables 

Denon TU260L11

JPL rear speakers

Posted on: 09 November 2014 by crustycottage

Very Interesting Mike, I have a somewhat similar predicament.

Emigrated to Oz with me old trusty DSP E800 and still using it as home theatre surround amp with PS3, Spendor A9, CR3 centre, 282, 250.2, Jamo rear speakers. I actually like the Yamaha DSP as it is functional & serves the purpose.

Will be interesting to see what others propose as an upgrade

Crusty

Posted on: 09 November 2014 by Mike Gundry

Crusty yes lets see if I get a reply! As I said HiFi not a priority now since moving to NZ other things to do used to listen to a lot of vinyl and CD's and very rarely do now its so much easier to plug my smart phone and either listen to music or stream BBC radio.
I have missed out on all the new stuff coming out ie network,streaming players etc  as I used to buy all the magazines when living in the UK and we had local dealers where you go and listen to anything new.  But we don't have the dealers here if we do they don't last long as there aren't enough people through their doors to keep them going.
Might consider changing existing system for something easier to hook up smart TV to surround sound amp etc HDMI not sure how that works.  Just to watch TV in Dolby 5.1 or play the occasional CD.  I don't know whether something from Pioneer or Onkyo might suit?

Posted on: 10 November 2014 by Judge

Pioneer, Yamaha and Marantz do slimline AV Receivers, that are reasonable cost and reasonable features, but sound good.  I have a Marantz NR1604 7.1, main L & R pre out (that allows me to integrate with Naim stereo equipment), Internet & FM radio, AirPlay, latest model has wirecess connectivity etc., might be a good option?