Home theater on a shoestring 'Budget'

Posted by: MangoMonkey on 10 November 2014

The day I dreaded has come. The TV has moved back into the living room.

I've got the NDS/555DR 552/300 with Kudos Super 20s speakers in there right now, but might put in a NDX/SN2 in there instead.

Need to look for a Blu-Ray player + some way to get better sound, rather than through the TV's speakers.

Any recommendations? I don't intend to do any more than two channels.

I was thinking of just a basic Sony Blu-Ray player. It's got a Coax out that can go into my NDX or NDS.

Any other thoughts? Oppo looks interesting, but not sure if it's a total overkill - 103 or 105 - since I intend to use the Dac within the NDS.

Again, first time building a Home Theater system, so any recommendation, advice is appreciated.

Posted on: 10 November 2014 by Bert Schurink

The construction which works quite well for me and which I can recommend is the following. I do have av multichannel but only have two additional smaller linn speakers for the rear channels. Front and subwoofer is running through my normal system (naim amplification, verity audio Sarrastro speaker). I use my NAD receiver for providing me the surround and rear speaker amplification. Overall due to the Nad leading to a fantastic sounding setup for audio and movies. The Nad gives me the opportunity to upgrade through modules which I just did (hd sound), I am running right now my set top box and did player through the Nad and enjoy also for watching tv an excellent sound. I will before Christmas switch to an oppo 103 as blu Ray player. I don't need the 105 as I am only using it for watching blu Rays and increasing the quality of my set top picture.

hope that helps you a little.

Posted on: 10 November 2014 by MangoMonkey

Bert,

Would you need the NAD if you were not doing rear speakers/surround?

The only issue that I'm running into is the shortage of digital inputs in naim streamers.

I'll need a digital input per box - 

a) Blu-ray

b) apple tv

c) xbox?

Would the nad come between my various devices and be able to send out one good digital signal to the NDS?

M.

Posted on: 10 November 2014 by johnG

I use a basic Panasonic blu-ray player with optical digital out to a Firestone Bravo 24bit / 96 kHz digital processor - this reclocks the digital to remove jitter, and then digital coaxial out to my nDAC. There is a noticeable improvement in SQ with the Bravo reclocking compared to optical direct into the DAC.  This arrangement also gives you 3 digital inputs (optical, coaxial & USB) with input auto selection, and choice of either optical or coaxial out. Overall the SQ is very good - more than adequate for movies etc. Of course you are limited to 3 inputs, there may be similar devices available with more inputs.

Posted on: 10 November 2014 by DavidDever

Oppo BDP103 (lesser-quality analogue section) is a very good choice, and works well as a transport.

Posted on: 12 November 2014 by Brubacca

I can't speak for other players, but I have an Oppo 103. I think that this is a great solution.  It has an audio setting to down mix everything to 2channel PCM.  This could then feed your ndx and your Naim decoding.  I do this with a Rega DAC.

if you get something else you have to make sure that the digital can be set to PCM.  Without this the blue ray player will try to send Dolby digital or dts to your Naim and it will not work.  Another issue will be your cable/satellite dish. Mine will only output Dolby digital not PCM.  I use analog to my pre-amp, but the oppo has a hdmi input also.  Supposedly it can take that, process the audio/video and then send to TV/audio system.  I have not tried this.

in my opinion the oppo 103 is well worth the money.

Posted on: 12 November 2014 by MDS

I'd give a vote for the Oppo 103, too. I've already got a 93 but it does not have the HMDI input that the 103 has, which you need if you want to play a SkyHD etc box through it.  I had a 103D on trial for a week or two (coupled to 3 x Nap100s) while I decided whether or not to get my faulty n-Vi repaired. I was impressed with the 103.  Great VFM, given all that it does.  Lovely build quality too. 

Posted on: 12 November 2014 by MangoMonkey
Almost pulled the trigger on the oppo - but turns out the tv is going back to the loft.

The TV in the living room is too distracting.

For the few DVDs I'll watch in a year, the Apple TV is  good enough. Maybe I'll do a $100 sony Blu Ray player and call it a day.
Posted on: 12 November 2014 by joerand

Probably a good call MM. Unless you're into watching live sporting events or ads, cable TV has little to offer other than its HD picture quality. Music listening or reading is much more satisfying. The occasional movie is nice as you say ....

.... on the other hand though, you could look for a s/h oppo and always leave yourself the option .....

Posted on: 13 November 2014 by solwisesteve

+1... get rid of the TV!!

We tried it for 18months.... No TV I mean. A very relaxing time: Music, reading, wine... But then SWMBO wanted to get it back in the living room for Christmas. That was a two years ago and it's still there :-( We tend to now watch just one thing each night; might be a film or an episode of something or other but never anything live (can't stand the adverts).

Posted on: 13 November 2014 by Bert Schurink
Originally Posted by MangoMonkey:

Bert,

The only issue that I'm running into is the shortage of digital inputs in naim streamers.

I'll need a digital input per box - 

a) Blu-ray

b) apple tv

c) xbox?

Would the nad come between my various devices and be able to send out one good digital signal to the NDS?

M.

Hi MangoMonkey,

If I would not be interested in surround I wouldn't principally need the NAD, because I could stick the DVD/BluRay an my SAT into the NDS......, but I would of course loose the effect of surround. I could in principle use the NAD as a kind of central point to shift gears and lead the signal to the NDS - but that would be overkill - just for the switching, there would be cheaper alternatives for that. With regards to your specific problem with the amount of connections you could use one of the other device as an pass through towards the NDS - but it sounds a bit odd and would of course needed to be try out to ensure it works.

But why, I have the best of both world and AV sound if I need/want it with the high quality aspect of the NAIM amplification......, so while I appreciate your choices...., I think you are missing out on the additional aspects of surround - especially with good movies.

Posted on: 13 November 2014 by Eloise

I read you have decided to get rid of the TV now ... but a couple more options to consider ...

Option 1:

If the TV has a digital output (most do these days); you can connect everything to the TV via HDMI, utilise that for switching and then pass the audio to your NDS via optical or co-ax SPDIF.  Personally I would prefer optical as that provides a level of electrical isolation.

Option 2:

If you are wanting some form of surround; add a Marantz NR1504 / NR1605 (or whatever the current model is).  These are small form factor AV receivers which offer pre-amp outputs for the front channels - something not many AV receivers offer.  This would be very similar to utilising the Oppo in a similar setup.

Posted on: 13 November 2014 by Samradford
Originally Posted by Eloise:

I read you have decided to get rid of the TV now ... but a couple more options to consider ...

Option 1:

If the TV has a digital output (most do these days); you can connect everything to the TV via HDMI, utilise that for switching and then pass the audio to your NDS via optical or co-ax SPDIF.  Personally I would prefer optical as that provides a level of electrical isolation.

Option 2:

If you are wanting some form of surround; add a Marantz NR1504 / NR1605 (or whatever the current model is).  These are small form factor AV receivers which offer pre-amp outputs for the front channels - something not many AV receivers offer.  This would be very similar to utilising the Oppo in a similar setup.

I have taken up option 2 with a Superuniti and a Marantz 1604. Sounds great in two channel and good enough in multichannel. I have Vienna Accoustics front and centre and B&W satellites and sub for the other channels.

Posted on: 13 November 2014 by Brian Dodson
I have an Oppo 93 (predecessor to 103) and it's really a great machine. It's pretty good as a cd player for popping in the occasional disk. It has great picture quality and it has all the streaming services built in. I haven't had any issues with mine but oppo customer service is well regarded. It can also see media on you network.

The 103 adds more features including HDMI inputs so it can be used to process your cable box or other sources.

For $500 it is quite reasonably priced. Given the quality of your system it seems like a minor investment that I'm sure you would not regret. It costs less than a Powerline
Posted on: 13 November 2014 by NickSeattle

Bert,

Mango, The NAD would give you virtual 3.0 center phantom mode as an option, with your 2.0 setup.

Some people like it.  Haven't tried it, myself; but you asked, and we are perfectionists.  

Best,

Nick

Posted on: 14 November 2014 by IanG

If better sound through the TV is all you are after then why not look at a decent quality sound bar ? There are some really good ones out there. I use the Monitor Audio one in the second lounge, it's got a Blu Ray, Sky HD and Xbox One through it and all sound awesome. Miles better than the TV internal speakers.

A word of warning though, check how much room you've got as it is a bit of a beast !

Posted on: 15 November 2014 by Loki

Pioneer 450 blu ray into NAD 3120 stereo amp and Linn Keilidh speakers: great sound: no need for surround! Otherwise look at Sony ES amps or Arcam for 7.1 surround processing and power

Posted on: 23 November 2014 by MangoMonkey

Can the Oppo 103 be connected straight to an amp (not integrated)?

Posted on: 23 November 2014 by MDS

Can the Oppo 103 be connected straight to an amp (not integrated)?

Yes. I had one on demo driving three Nap100s directly. It was very good. 

Interesting - hook up a oppo to a 100 for two front speakers for a dose of naim sound.

Rel subwoofer ?
Posted on: 23 November 2014 by MDS
Interesting - hook up a oppo to a 100 for two front speakers for a dose of naim sound.

Rel subwoofer ?

Worked well with my Rel Strata II.  The 103 into NAP100s + Rel sub gave a more weighty sound than my n-Vi

Here's where I am at with this now -

Either

a) Cheap sony BluRay player + UnitiQute - or -

b) 103 + Nap 100

Similar outlay. The former is more music oriented, I suppose, the latter more movie oriented.

I've set up the former for now. Depending on how much use it gets as a movie system, I might change over to the latter.

I'll pull the Kudos X2 into service as speakers.

Posted on: 24 November 2014 by Brubacca

The only Naim gear that I have ever owned is the Unitiqute.  It seems that you are very passionate about your music, so I vote A...  Qute and cheap blue ray player.  

After following your threads for a couple of years I don't believe for one second that you will be anything close to happy with b...  While the 103 is a great player it's dac is not anywhere near the quality of even the Rega Dac let alone the Dac in the Qute...

When you get that cheap Blue-Ray player make sure that it can downmix it's digital output to PCM.  Then you can use the DAC in the Qute for your decoding of the digital signal.  

Posted on: 27 November 2014 by MangoMonkey

Tried a Sony Blu ray player with a unitiqute and both kudos X2 and harbeth p3esr speakers.

My TV sounds equally good  or better- certainly not worth the outlay for the UQ2 + speakers...

Sound through speakers sounds veiled in comparison - maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Posted on: 28 November 2014 by Phil Harris

Just as an aside - if you are wanting to go two channel with a video source then you definitely want something in there to do proper downmixing of multichannel audio to stereo or you'll be constantly adjusting volume ... I run an n-Vi in my bedroom but in stereo mode for exactly this purpose.

If you set the output of a Sky or Tivo box to stereo they box don't seem to downmix correctly - probably due to them not having full surround sound decoding hardware in them.

Phil

Posted on: 28 November 2014 by Loki

You just need a blu-ray player with stereo analogue outputs: like the Pioneer!