Mu-So on the way. Has anybody hooked one up to a TV?

Posted by: Skip on 30 November 2014

We auditioned a Mu-So in LA and bought it on the spot.  I hope it will replace my Meridian F-80 as a TV soundbar, with the option to stream music via iTunes and eventually NAS.  I will either take a feed off the TV, or off a Comcast cable box.  

Is anybody using the unit in this way?  Do you have any tips?

Posted on: 16 December 2014 by Skip

Nobody?  Really?  Well, I have and it sounds pretty good using the analog mini-plug.   Need to figure out the digital out on my TV or cable box.  So far, so good.  

Not sure the TV pairing is an uptick over the Meridian F-80 at this point.   The F-80 has no native streaming, however.

Posted on: 17 December 2014 by Skip

I have the Toslink cable that fits both my Sony TV and the MuSo.  I have seen the caution that the MuSo only dances with PCM.   My Sony TV defaults to Dolby Digital but the manual says the following:

" OPTICAL OUT
Connects to the optical audio input of a digital audio equipment that is PCM/Dolby digital
(PCM/DOLBY
compatible. (OPTICAL OUT is only available for digital channels.)
DIGITAL)"

I have the cable and I just need a little help to make the TV convert to PCM.  My TV is a Sony KDL-V32XBR.    It is a few years old but still going strong.   Can anybody help me figure this out?

Posted on: 17 December 2014 by rohit
Does Naim recommend any TOSlink cable(s) for use with the mu-so.
Skip, did your dealer recommend one?
What do folks here recommend?
Anyone connected a mu-so to an Elite PRO-151FD?
Originally Posted by Skip:
I have the Toslink cable
Posted on: 17 December 2014 by Skip

My sense is that TV is a low priority for the muso set.

Posted on: 18 December 2014 by tonym

There must be an option in the Sony menu to select stereo rather than Dolby Digital. If you haven't got the manual for the TV, have a look at Sony support.

Posted on: 18 December 2014 by Big Bill

I have a later Sony TV (just a few months old) and I just used an optical cable from Amazon - a real cheapy.  However, I just plugged it in and it all worked fine, no need to change any menu items etc.  A call to Sony support methinks for you.

btw I am amazed at how good it sounds.

Posted on: 19 December 2014 by Alastairg7

Linked mine to new Sony 829 with optical link. Perfect no sync issues at all. Sits on shelf above the TV which is perfect re sound and using muso control.

Posted on: 24 December 2014 by Skip

I am still running the Muso via RCA-mini plug.  I have not had time to figure out the optical setup.

The Muso, when playing cable TV, has an intermittent drop-out of sound.   In the Christmas movie, the girl is about to get the guy, and you can see the Holiday chemistry developing, and the sound goes out!   I can fiddle with the Muso remote and the sound will come back.   This drop-out thing is annoying my wife enormously since she is the fan of Christmas movies around here.  And I can't believe it could be happening over a wired analog connection in the 21st Century, but it does.

Do you have any experience with this type of issue:  Drop out on an analog mini-plug connection?  Really?

Other than that, the unit sounds great.

Posted on: 29 December 2014 by Skip

I have figured out the drop out issue.  All I have to do it open the Muso app and reconfirm the TV selection.  I am not sure what makes this happen, but that is the solution.  The iPad app times out, in effect.

My 2006 vintage Sony 32" 720p XBR TV will not work with either the Muso or the Meridian F80.  Sony HELP line was zero, I mean zero, help.   I can see the red light in the toslink cable but it does not make sound.  The F80 does work with the Airport Express and has for years.  Have not tried it on the Muso since it streams music natively, although I should to check the function on the Muso.

Bottom line, I need a new TV to use the Muso optically.  That is deep water for me.  What is the optimal TV for somebody who will use the Muso as his home audio sound system?  What TV, specifically, will work optically with a Muso?

Posted on: 30 December 2014 by Alastairg7

Hi Skip

As my earlier reply you cannot go wrong with this Sony re picture KDL50W829B. Connected via optical output with audio out option on TV selected to PCM and of course its coming down in price all the time 

Posted on: 04 January 2015 by GregU

Have you connected optical out on the TV with the Muso and then click the source button on the Muso till digital is selected?

Posted on: 05 January 2015 by Basically Sound

I have a funny feeling that the 'dropout' is actually the mu-so switching off as it has an auto standby facility. Hence the mu-so coming back to life when you operate it from the app.

From memory the default setting is 2 hours, but can be changed and even switched off via the Settings menu within the app.

As far as the digital audio is concerned, look for a setting in the TV to set the optical output to PCM or Downmix to Stereo. Different TV's use different descriptions for this facility, but normally make reference to these or similar terms.

Skip - you're right about Sony online support though. The i-Manual is useless on this matter.

Hope this all helps.

Tony