Satellite cable use for TV ariel connection?

Posted by: Southweststokie on 04 December 2014

I need to move my TV Freeview+HD box which means extending the signal cable. I have some left over satellite dish signal cable (PF100 CAT 00695) left over. Can this be used to make up a new lead to run from the TV ariel socket in the lounge wall to the new position of the freeview box or do I need to buy TV ariel cable and if so why. What is the difference?

Your help appreciated,

Ken

Posted on: 04 December 2014 by james n

That cable is fine. Just better screening then normal TV coax - copper wrap and braid rather than just braid. 

Posted on: 04 December 2014 by Mike-B

+ for satellite grade cables - go on !! get it all done, its only money !!!!

I have all my TV & FM wired with WF100 from aerials to & between the individual boxes

Also I changed the 'orible Belling-Lee coax plug & sockets for "F" screw connectors, & including the wall plate which is double screened.  Its cleaned up a few issues such as some minor pixeling with the lower powered digital TV stations.  With FM all stations that previously had a hint of hiss - e.g. R3 - became hiss free & I now get distant micro transmitters that used to be auto-mono'd by the NAT, now get recieved in stereo.

This pic is the back of my NAT-05

A pro level B&L (type) plug (made of solid machined brass) in the NAT

The 90 degree angled connector is "F" type.   

Posted on: 04 December 2014 by Southweststokie

James, Mike,

Thanks for your guidance. So you are actually inferring it's a positive move, I will also look into the wall plate upgrade.

Thanks again,

Ken

Posted on: 04 December 2014 by Mike-B

Wall plate upgrades won't do much unless you have satellite grade cable all the way up to the aerial.

The upside tho'  is the "F" plugs are more secure than the B&L things,  plus they have different options (like my 90' angle) to help tidy up cable dressing.   

Posted on: 04 December 2014 by Southweststokie
Originally Posted by Mike-B:

Wall plate upgrades won't do much unless you have satellite grade cable all the way up to the aerial.

The upside tho'  is the "F" plugs are more secure than the B&L things,  plus they have different options (like my 90' angle) to help tidy up cable dressing.   

Thanks Mike, cable up to the ariel is a step too far I think but will consider it.

Ken

Posted on: 04 December 2014 by GregW

I've had a lot of success with compression F connectors.

Rather worryingly I recently discovered that my own home made satellite cables performed better (Reciever indicated strength and quality) than some moderately priced gold plated QED cables I had been using.

Not my picture, but it shows a compression and standard F connector.

Posted on: 06 December 2014 by tonym

You'll find most aerial installers use one type of cable for satellite and terrestrial. It also makes pretty super digital audio interconnects! 

Our Sky HD box gets moved around regularly between two homes so rather than having to fiddle with the screws, (a real nuisance when you've got arthritic fingers) I use push-on connectors at both locations, which work a treat.