Oppo bluray multiregion firmware upgrade

Posted by: Dungassin on 10 January 2015

I have an Oppo 83SE, multiregion for DVD and Bluray, purchased from crtprojectors.co.uk in Jan 2010.  I am not able to address this question to them, as I believe the owner has died and the company no longer exists.  The URL for the company no longer works.

I tried to play X-Men Days of Future Past bluray (Xmas pressies) this evening, and it was ejected by the Oppo with the message 'wrong disc'.  I have checked online, and it would seem that this can be cured by a firmware update.

If I do this firmware update, would my Oppo still be multiregion for bluray and DVD?  I think it probably will, as my memory tells me that the company had this in their faq.  Alas, I can no longer check with them, so help would be appreciated before I go ahead with the firmware upgrade.

Posted on: 10 January 2015 by karlosTT

All firmware upgrades I have performed have not adversely affected the multi region capability of the player, so I think this is a designed in feature.  One hears of other players losing multi region capability with new firmware, but that is probably because the capability was not factory fit, but a hack installed by say the dealer.  So my guess is you needn't worry about doing the upgrade.  And it usually fixes some previous bugs or glitches for a better user experience.....

Posted on: 10 January 2015 by karlosTT

.....though to be absolutely sure you could always drop an email to bjorn @ oppodigital.co.uk.  He's the local support guy and quite helpful

Posted on: 11 January 2015 by Dungassin

Thanks.  I bit the bullet and did the firmware upgrade.  Very easy, but a pain having to reset to factory defaults and then re-enter my custom settings.  All working well and the player is still multiregion for bluray and DVD.  The offending bluray now plays OK.

Posted on: 11 January 2015 by karlosTT

Good stuff D, I'm glad to hear all went well.

Know what you mean about the factory reset.  Its a pain, and I've taken to having a list of every non default setting I use, to make sure I don't over look any.  It helps smooth the process a bit.....

Posted on: 12 January 2015 by Dungassin

Always a good idea.  I have a 'Notes' list of such things (not just for the Oppo, but for the AV2 setup etc and various other bits of user defined stuff.  Keep it in iCloud as well as on my Mac hard drive and backups.

Posted on: 12 January 2015 by tonym

Just seen this post. I've an 83SE, but haven't used it for BluRay for a while (it's just for the occasional SACD/DVD-A). Thanks for the info. Mr Dungassin, I'll update mine but I'll remember to record my settings beforehand.

Anyway, isn't it good that Oppo continue to support their older products? The somewhat more modern Panasonic one we've got in the kitchen no longer has updates available.

Posted on: 13 January 2015 by Dungassin

Tony, your Panasonic won't be a problem until the film companies decide to 'break' it for you by issuing discs incompatible with it's current firmware.  ;-P

Posted on: 16 January 2015 by winkyincanada
Originally Posted by Dungassin:

Tony, your Panasonic won't be a problem until the film companies decide to 'break' it for you by issuing discs incompatible with it's current firmware.  ;-P

My seven year old Sony Bluray player has still to find a (region correct) disc it won't play, in spite of me steadfastly refusing to do any sort of firmware update. It just seems to work.

Posted on: 16 January 2015 by Dungassin

I would have said the same, until I was given X-men Last Stand bluray.

Posted on: 16 January 2015 by winkyincanada

Your player had taken a liking to you, and just wanted to spare you that experience, perhaps.

Posted on: 16 January 2015 by Bananahead

But isn't it connected to the internet and therefore updates its firmware automatically? ( in the same way that Naim products don't)

Posted on: 16 January 2015 by tonym

Errr...mine's too old to understand 'T internet.

Posted on: 16 January 2015 by rackkit

My old Denon DVD - 3800BD isn't MR but has played every disc i've put through it but now again i'll get loud audio cracks on certain discs at the same point if i repeat that section. I'm taking HD Audio off the discs using 5.1 analogue, leaving the player to do the decoding and passing it through the AV2. Not sure if that's where the odd problem lies.