Superb Live Recordings, post your favorites.

Posted by: Peet on 21 March 2015

1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
    When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
    The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
    Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
  3. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.
Posted on: 21 March 2015 by Quad 33

This is a recent related thread..

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...cordings-all-formats

Graham.

Posted on: 21 March 2015 by FangfossFlyer

Free Live!, just playing it in memory of Andy when I saw this thread

On vinyl (bought it when it first came out.)

Richard

Posted on: 21 March 2015 by Steve J

This is one of the best sounding Led Zep live recordings and I have a few. Much better than the Paris gig on the recent Led Zep ! remaster.

Posted on: 21 March 2015 by fatcat

Robin Trower - Live. (Recorded by the Swedish Broadcasting Corporation)

Posted on: 21 March 2015 by FangfossFlyer

Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton: Live From Madison Square Garden

Some great grooves and excellent guitar when Eric and Steve play against each other. Great bass lines and rhythm, oh  and Steve' vocals!

Just listen to them play Hendrix's Them Changes it just boogies!

Richard

playing it now, on vinyl for that live vibe 

Posted on: 21 March 2015 by Geofiz

Simply outstanding recording that Neil sat on for decades.  Absolutely fantastic on vinyl.

Posted on: 21 March 2015 by dry_stone

The Grateful Dead - Europe 72 - The Complete Recordings

22 Concerts, 78 HDCDs, about 80 hours of the Dead playing live, in what many believe to be their most creative period.

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by Cdb

On the same track as Europe 72 - Grateful Dead - Live Dead. The original vinyl is what you need (not the remix from 2003?). It's a superb recording and the  music is fantastic - it contains the definitive version of Dark Star.

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by Bert Schurink

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by sjbabbey

Michael Schenker is awesome on this.

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by GraemeH

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by ewemon

Curtis Live

Alison Krauss + Union Station Live

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by ragman

Each album I have posted captures the bands at the epak of their career.

Originally Posted by FangfossFlyer:

Free Live!, just playing it in memory of Andy when I saw this thread

On vinyl (bought it when it first came out.)

Richard

Along with Made in Japan this would be my most played live album.

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by Ian F

Does just what a live recording should do; showcases excellent performance whilst capturing the atmosphere of the venue.

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by MDS
Originally Posted by ewemon:

Agree with this one.  Here's another:

Posted on: 22 March 2015 by MDS
Originally Posted by ewemon:

Alison Krauss + Union Station Live

+1

I think this is good, too. Especially disc 2: