Beginner’s video format question please?

Posted by: Nigel on 05 May 2015

Hi Everyone

I recently bought myself a Samsung smart TV and this has got be thinking about ripping my DVDs as the NAS I have will allow me to stream videos.  All my music is ripped to FLAC and stored on the NAS.  Thus, if I need it in another format say MP3 I would use the FLAC file as the starting point for the conversion; therefore removing the need to ever rip the CD again.

My question is, is there an equivalent format in the video world?  I.e. rip all videos to xxx format and then use this as the base for anything else later?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards

Nigel

Posted on: 05 May 2015 by Mr Underhill

I use MKV, produced using MakeMKV, which is free if you use Linux.

I then use a lossy version for portable devices if called for.

M

Posted on: 05 May 2015 by dayjay
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

I use MKV, produced using MakeMKV, which is free if you use Linux.

I then use a lossy version for portable devices if called for.

M

+1 for MakeMKV

Posted on: 06 May 2015 by Nigel

Thanks guys; just what I was looking for.

Nigel

Posted on: 26 May 2015 by alainbil

Most DVD are copy protected. In many countries it is illegal to use a software that bypass this protection in order to copy the DVD content to a hard disk, even if you own the DVD.

Posted on: 26 May 2015 by Mr Underhill

In the US there has been a 'reasonable use' for many years.

In the UK HMG has announced that such provisions will be introduced:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tec...-and-CD-ripping.html

M

Posted on: 27 May 2015 by alainbil
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

In the US there has been a 'reasonable use' for many years.

In the UK HMG has announced that such provisions will be introduced:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tec...-and-CD-ripping.html

M

The article you quote contains the following

The IPO warned that some media, such as DVDs, are often protected by anti-copying technology to guard against copyright piracy, and this is protected by law. Copyright owners will still be able to apply this protection

Posted on: 28 May 2015 by Mr Underhill

Yes. It is a fair and balanced article.

It points out that whilst a purchaser can rip their own media they cannot legally rip what they rent from a library, for instance.

I would expect the IPO to make the statement they did. I would be amazed if an end user got prosecuted or sued for ripping their own DVDs for their own use ......but, there is always the possibility; with the attendant poor publicity.

M

Posted on: 30 May 2015 by Harry

Same old. Demonise and attempt to criminalise the paying punter who wants a back up or alternative means of playback, for the sins of the pirates they can't touch. I am long past sick of being told that the ills of the industry are my fault because I buy things.

Posted on: 30 May 2015 by Mr Underhill
Originally Posted by Harry:

Same old. Demonise and attempt to criminalise the paying punter who wants a back up or alternative means of playback, for the sins of the pirates they can't touch. I am long past sick of being told that the ills of the industry are my fault because I buy things.

+1