Demo Soundtracks

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 30 May 2015

I have been updating the AV side of my system for the past year.

I replaced my Skibo Centre with an Audio Physic Centre, which tonally matches my Living Voice main speakers.

Last week I swapped out my much loved Linn Kans for Focal Domes, and today I added a rear subwoofer to work with them.

This has definitely upped my system for AV. I have tested each step using various demo pieces, which I will add below ........what do you use?

M

Posted on: 30 May 2015 by Mr Underhill

My demo spots are:

Air Force One:

Where the terrorists make their play to take the plan. This has a combination of effects that work the system: percussive gunfire; sweeping effects from the jets; arrival of the VP with the helicopter entering from above and behind.

Dragonheart:

38min in, Drago speaks to the knight whilst flying around him.

For whole films my current soundtrack favourites are Judge Dredd and Master and Commander.

M

Posted on: 30 May 2015 by GuyPerry

Hi M, 

Along the lines of Master and Commander,  Saving Private Ryan has good steering with bullets flying around the room. 

My system, is somewhat dated now,  still impresses with this film. 

WBR

Guy

Posted on: 30 May 2015 by MDS

Hi Mr Underhill

I'm a fan of Focal Domes too and use them as my rears.  They pack a punch which belie their size.

On AV test soundtracks, I've got a few:

Opening scene from Gladiators - hearing the catapolted earthen-ware oil-filled pots shatter against the trees through the heavy-duty battle scene is a good test of resolution

Quantum of Solace - the car chase through the tunnels provides a lovely mix of machine-gunfire, engine roar (esp the Aston), crashing and the echoes/reverberation through the tunnels   

Star Trek - young Kirk stealing the vintage cabriolet and pitching off the cliff. So much to savour.

Mike

Posted on: 30 May 2015 by MDS

Yes, Guy, you're right about Saving Private Ryan.  The D-day scene is spectacular and if your system can resolve the dialogue during all that mayhem you know it's performing well

Posted on: 30 May 2015 by Mr Underhill

Hi Guy & Mike,

Yes, can't disagree with most of these. Have to confess that QoS is one of the few Bond films that I don't own, thought it was pretty dreadful.

M

Posted on: 30 May 2015 by Guy007

U-571

'Splashes' with the depth charges scene

Clear and Present Danger

Ambush scene in the motorcade

Posted on: 31 May 2015 by MDS
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

Hi Guy & Mike,

Yes, can't disagree with most of these. Have to confess that QoS is one of the few Bond films that I don't own, thought it was pretty dreadful.

M

I'm no fan of QoS either. Best bits are the opening scene and the (very implausible) air dog-fight scene.

Mike 

Posted on: 31 May 2015 by Mike1380
So many choices...

The "Battle over Coruscant" scene from Star Wars epIII is great for making sure your sub is working but not overcooked.

Ed Norton "Hulk" where he takes on the military and they use sonic cannons, great for making sure no loose fittings/radiators in the room are rattling.

Bond, "Skyfall", where Bond meets Q at the gallery.. one of the best dialogue/sub integration scenes I've found. Used this with all but my centre and its' high level sub disconnected to ensure that the sub rolloff point was bang on.

Finally, and I may be preaching to the converted, the recent Karl Urban variant of Dredd. Opening 8 minutes. Visceral, brutal, punishing and an acid test of any premium AV setup. Played at reference level the opening scenes and the impact as the opening credits roll, simply transcends what I had previously thought were the limits of what my system can cope with and reproduce.
Posted on: 31 May 2015 by Ebor

The launch scene from Apollo 13 - done properly it should be alternately terrifying, breathtaking and uplifting. Like so many other suggestions here, it pits dialogue against thunderous effects.

The opening sequence of The Fellowship of the Ring is also great fun to throw at a system to see what it can do. It's fun to see how far your system can respond to the descending sine wave when Sauron gives up the ghost.

Mark

Posted on: 31 May 2015 by MDS
Originally Posted by Mike1380:
So many choices...

The "Battle over Coruscant" scene from Star Wars epIII is great for making sure your sub is working but not overcooked.

Ed Norton "Hulk" where he takes on the military and they use sonic cannons, great for making sure no loose fittings/radiators in the room are rattling.

Bond, "Skyfall", where Bond meets Q at the gallery.. one of the best dialogue/sub integration scenes I've found. Used this with all but my centre and its' high level sub disconnected to ensure that the sub rolloff point was bang on.

Finally, and I may be preaching to the converted, the recent Karl Urban variant of Dredd. Opening 8 minutes. Visceral, brutal, punishing and an acid test of any premium AV setup. Played at reference level the opening scenes and the impact as the opening credits roll, simply transcends what I had previously thought were the limits of what my system can cope with and reproduce.

Ah, yes, Mike.  You've amply demonstrated to me the Dredd scene. Absolutely stunning! 

Posted on: 01 June 2015 by tonym

Yep, Dredd's a good 'un all right! If it's sheer, bowel-shaking bass you want there is nothing I've yet heard to top the opening few minutes of Event Horizon on BluRay, when the space ship's travelling away from you. OK, you can't hear anything in space but who cares?

Posted on: 01 June 2015 by Mike1380
Agreed. I used to use Event Horizon on laserdisc as a sub setup. Then DVD.

Haven't bothered with the BluRay yet.....one day.
Posted on: 06 June 2015 by Mr Underhill

Gone Girl

Great, if uncomfortable, film.

I think this has a very good soundtrack. We are not talking bangs and explosions but beautifully crafted and in support of the movie's atmosphere.

M

Posted on: 06 June 2015 by Kevin-W

Not many explosions on this, but the sound design on Mad Men is absolutely stunning, of the same standard as the cinematography. Even on my modest set-up (£50 LG Blu-ray and Canton DM50 soundbase) background and ambient sounds, as well as music and dialogue, are amazing.